'unusual' Looking Dogs

CrazyCresties

Lappies are not very well represented in Adelaide so I get a LOT of comments. Mostly good ones - some young guy at the beach yelled at me "your dog is beautiful". I always get asked what she is, but I've also had "nice border collie" (WTF?) and "is that a husky?" Kid at school asked me last week "is that a real dog?" :o

A friend was babysitting and his son's mate asked what she was and he said very seriously "she's a brazilian mouse herder". Kid looked confused and said "oh...I've never heard of those!" When we told him what she really was, he said "I've never heard of those either" :(

Here's my very beautiful girl, Sinikka:

snik_2.jpg

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had heard of Lappies but never have seen one. If i did, i would have to ask too.

They are beautiful dogs, do they have as much hair as a Samoyed? If so, I offer you my deepest sympathy right now because I know what you are going through! No black clothes at this time of year, lol!

I can't believe it. Last night, I'm walking the pooch and we come to the road. Older man next to me comes over and says, "Oh you could put a saddle on him and ride it". It was a smile and nod moment.

The weird thing is to me he still looks so small. It's only when I'm on the floor and he tries to come and sit on my lap like he did when he was a baby that I realise he must have grown, because physically he can't get more than 2 paws on. Or when he jumps up and he can put his arms around my shoulders and I'm 5'9.

Love the GSD cross Basset - that is something special.

You guys shouldn't be listening when someone tells you your dog is ugly, being beautiful does not make you more deserving of love, and anyone who thinks otherwise should be felt sorry for.

I had heard of Lappies but never have seen one. If i did, i would have to ask too.

They are beautiful dogs, do they have as much hair as a Samoyed? If so, I offer you my deepest sympathy right now because I know what you are going through! No black clothes at this time of year, lol!

Snik is blowing coat atm, so yeah there's a lot of hair around lol. But it's a small trade off for having her. She's actually very easy to wash and groom (a huge thankyou to her breeder), so it's quite enjoyable getting all that dead coat out.

When I got my first Afghan there weren't many around and I had the dog and kids at the local river swimming spot one day and overheard two older men trying to work out what the dog was. Took Kush for a paddle and his coat clung to his legs, much wise nodding of heads and one of the men said 'it's a Poodle that hasn't been clipped' :o

I do get strangers commenting about Tilly, but in a positive way normally :o . I normally hear strangers say "that dog has one blue eye" as I walk past, or parents will often point out her eyes to their children, either that or they will kind of do a double take or stare at her. It really doesn't bother me, because I love Tilly for who she is on the inside, not how she looks...having a dog who looks cute is just an added bonus, but obviously I am biased!

3533247360_6cfe233817_z.jpg

You're not biased at all - she's VERY cute!

I used to own Bull Terriers and people were always saying how ugly they were! My own mother used to say that they were her ugliest grandchildren! People would also loudly call out 'look at the Pitt Bulls' and grab their children and give me a wide berth. :)

Although it wasn't all bad, I was outside a Woollies one day waiting for OH when a little old lady (easily 80+ years old) came out and told me how beautiful they were and spent 10 minutes kissing and cuddling them!

A groomer I used a couple of times worked from her home and one day she was looking after her daughter's little Bull Terrier. The little BT was absolutely gorgeous and when I said so, the woman asked me if I was joking - LOL. She was so used to unfavourable comments that she was stunned when I raved on about how gorgeous the little dog was.

I think that we have to remember that even people who own dogs generally don't know much about the different breeds and have to cut them a bit of slack - but it can get tedious to hear the same comments over and over again.

Quinn gets lots of comments when I take her out, her black ears and her white face and her bi-eyes really catch attention. I think she's perfect. Most people don't guess BC though.

8-4.jpg

IMG_3123.jpg

Edited by busterlove

Like Ker, I get heaps of different guesses at Joss's breed. No one has got it right yet (a lot of them do know she's a Spitz breed though), and OH has started refusing to tell them because he "feels like a wanker" :) Sorry honey, you have a beautiful, rare breed and people are going to keep asking you!

I had someone ask me if Kuma was a labrador...

The most common reaction is "Gee, that's a big Husky/Malamute". I always set them straight, but give them cudos for picking a spitz breed. The people who ask me "what's your husky crossed with??" usually irk me the most, coz they're the ones who don't want to hear that he's purebred.

It really doesn't bother me if people assume my dogs are crossbreeds. If I can't place a breed, it's a fair assumption that it's a cross. I don't expect anyone to be able to place either of my breeds. It's actually kind of embarrassing when we tell them what they are. It's like "The little guy? He's a Swedish Vallhund." "Riiiight, okay. And what's the big one?" "A Finnish Lapphund." "Ahhhhh...." And I know they're thinking "Wait, what was the difference?" I usually comment that we collect hunds. Two isn't really a collection, but I just can't stand that awkward silence as people realise they've already forgotten both breeds and can't figure out why they sounded like the same breed. Sometimes they ask us to repeat them. "VALLhund, LAPPhund. They are Nordic herders."

It really doesn't bother me if people assume my dogs are crossbreeds. If I can't place a breed, it's a fair assumption that it's a cross. I don't expect anyone to be able to place either of my breeds. It's actually kind of embarrassing when we tell them what they are. It's like "The little guy? He's a Swedish Vallhund." "Riiiight, okay. And what's the big one?" "A Finnish Lapphund." "Ahhhhh...." And I know they're thinking "Wait, what was the difference?" I usually comment that we collect hunds. Two isn't really a collection, but I just can't stand that awkward silence as people realise they've already forgotten both breeds and can't figure out why they sounded like the same breed. Sometimes they ask us to repeat them. "VALLhund, LAPPhund. They are Nordic herders."

IME I have found that the people who are certain you have a cross, especially if they think they've nailed one part of the breed, are the people who won't believe that your breed exists. They're also the ones who ask how much you paid for your dog and nearly wet themselves when you tell them.

If I'm not sure of a breed, I will just ask "what breed..." and wouldn't make an assumption that it was a cross. I've only recently started to identify different breeds (thanks DOL!) but I know that there are many different breeds that I have not come across, so would never assume I'm right. Soooo many animals I have never seen in the fur, and only seen in photo, so I'd prefer not to make an assumption, but that's just me.

It's the people that argue that I'm wrong about the breed of my dog...

I do love it when people get it right tho! Warms the cockles a little.

Edited by KumaAkita

Mum gets the nice looking mutt/cross breed/rescue you got there comment all the time about her PBGV and yes not alot of people know what they are so we just brush it off opr explain what he is.

For ever getting the ugly comments on the pugs, one time i snaped back at a particuarly skanky girl "looked in the mirror lately" in hind sight there was no need for it but I was having a crap day!

The pointers generally get great comments people love them, one did get mistaken for a mini great dane once...hmm ok!

LOL comments from the public at the Perth Royal....."I don't like it when they cut off Border Collie's tails"!!!!!! I just tell them its so that they don't sweep off the wine glasses on the coffee table!!!!! :rolleyes:
I get god awful stares at my aussies because of the natural bob tail

"OH MAI GAWDDD EWE CUT OFF HER TALE!?"

I had a HORRIBLE, STUCK UP woman at the beach when Lottie was about 12weeks old say - 'Oh, what a horrible thing for a dog to have no tail - I don't know if it's going to attack me or not!' - UMMMM HELLO!!! It was a 12 week old PUPPY!!!!!!! wiggling her little butt off :( . It was something that really really upset me!!! It made me think 'what have I done with getting a dog with no tail'. ANYWAY... just yesterday made up for it - I was walking her around the lake, and I heard two ladies say 'look at that stunning dog' - so I stopped and introduced myself and Lottie, informed them about the breed and had a lovely chat - and the complements they were saying about her really made my day :laugh: :D And... they said having no tail gave her more personality!!! hehe!! Now I LOVE her stumpy bum, and I think me next aussie will be a stumpy bum as well :( :D

I do get strangers commenting about Tilly, but in a positive way normally :rolleyes: . I normally hear strangers say "that dog has one blue eye" as I walk past, or parents will often point out her eyes to their children, either that or they will kind of do a double take or stare at her. It really doesn't bother me, because I love Tilly for who she is on the inside, not how she looks...having a dog who looks cute is just an added bonus, but obviously I am biased!

3533247360_6cfe233817_z.jpg

You're not biased at all - she's VERY cute!

I second that, you are not biased....Tilly is very pretty!