Archie

greying-fast

It's been nearly 4 weeks since I gave our beloved Archie his wings.

Life hadn't been kind to Archie, blind with retinal atrophy by the time he was 2, diagnosed with chronic kidney disease shortly after that and given 6 months to 2 years to live. That was over 3 years ago.

Archie died in my arms at home on my bed. We gave him a good death, even if we couldn't give him a longer better life. But he reached the age of 5, which was longer than we dared hope for when we got him three years ago. Still, he wasn't ready to go, in his mind though not his body he had so much more life to live.

He still loved his food (intermittently towards the end with his failing kidneys), loved to play and more than anything loved a cuddle. With his lack of vision he couldn't play catch but he would jump up and expect you to 'catch' him :D No matter how much we brushed him, he was always shedding, unlike any other greyhound I've had. He had a gorgeous thick pale brindle coat and the sweetest little face. He was only a small boy and had the nicest disposition. He didn't like playing with the other dogs because he couldn't see where they were and got bumped about when they were rough, but any time the opportunity presented he would take advantage of any long legs overhanging the couch and treat himself to a back rub from the others' feet. :rofl:

You would think with all the crap life delivered him he would be a grumpy dog, but once he settled in with us he was always cheerful. Even towards the end he would wriggle into the blankets, stretch his legs out and sigh. I like to think it was a sigh of contentment.

Julie and Annie of Greyhound Safety Net rescued Archie knowing he was blind. They didn't abandon him when they got the awful diagnosis on his kidneys. I know some people think that rescue should only take on able bodied and healthy dogs, but I believe Archie deserved his small shot at happiness and he grasped life between his paws and gave it all he'd got.

Intellectually I always told myself that Archie came to us for a good time, not for a long time and any time we had with him was a bonus, but my heart still hurts and I miss him terribly.

What a magnificent boy, he sounds so very special. Thank you for loving him in spite of his disabilities, I know he would have appreciated it so much. I believe he certainly deserved it.

I am a rescuer who believes in taking on the old and/or special cases and filling whatever time they have left with love and comfort but it hurts so very much that we can't have them with us for a lot longer.

Hugs to you.

Edited by dogmad

Mmmmm I was sure G-F had some kind of rule about dogs not being allowed ON her bed, but I guess he was IN it so that's ok.

Thanks Annie for posting the pics and yes you are right about the rule, but it's made to be broken when the dogs are unwell and Archie spent the last days of his life snuggled up with me, barring toilet and food breaks and trips to the vet. And we did buy the 19 year old a HUGE bed so that all the dogs could share with him ... :mad

Thank you all for your very kind thoughts. It's a great comfort knowing that others understand what a special boy Archie was.