In A Litter.....

giraffez

I've been reading on choosing puppies from a litter and it is suggested not to take the most dominant one or the shy one as they are harder to train. Is this really sound as isn't there always a dominate and shy in the litter (because you are comparing)? The dominant one in batch 1 may not be as dominant as the most dominant one in batch 2 - so wouldn't that make the one from batch 1 a good selection when comparing with batch 2 and not a good selection if just selecting from batch 1? (hope that makes sense)

What behaviour do i look for if a puppy dominant? Could playfulness be misinterpreted or considered as dominant?

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been reading on choosing puppies from a litter and it is suggested not to take the most dominant one or the shy one as they are harder to train. Is this really sound as isn't there always a dominate and shy in the litter (because you are comparing)? The dominant one in batch 1 may not be as dominant as the most dominant one in batch 2 - so wouldn't that make the one from batch 1 a good selection when comparing with batch 2 and not a good selection if just selecting from batch 1? (hope that makes sense)

What behaviour do i look for if a puppy dominant? Could playfulness be misinterpreted or considered as dominant?

What are you breeding for? For what reasons did you breed batches of puppies?

:thumbsup: giraffez isn't a breeder - she's getting a puppy as a pet from a breeder ...

giraffez: to answer your question - we didn't pick our puppy. We just described our existing dog in a lot of detail and what we were after and she picked out Hoover for us.

To be honest, it's safest. There are sooooooooooo many conflicting recommendations about choosing the dog and unless you're very experienced - you won't know what you're supposed to be looking for :rofl:

People were telling us we should bring our dog along to see if it got along with the new pup but there's a thread in the breeders' forum where a lot of breeders say that they'd let prospective owners bring a dog and meet a tiny puppy over their dead body.

Some people will say if the dog is too bold then that's bad, if it's too shy, that's bad as it might have weak nerves blah blah blah. Some say see the dog alone in a field, some say see the dog with other dogs .. :birthday:

I was much happier to leave it to the more experienced breeder to make the assessment for us because she had been with and watched the litter for so long and knew their personalities.

Edited by koalathebear

i'm not breeding. I'm buying a puppy.

koalathebear beat me to it :thumbsup:

Edited by giraffez

Oh ok....well it doesnt matter which batch has a dominant then....the breeder will tell you from which puppies to choose from.....I would pick the puppy with the best attitude.

I always say there is this puppy and there is this puppy....one is big and one is little...people always say they want the little one. Dont pick the little one. Attitude gives way to accepting and eagerness for learning/training.

Edited by Shazzapug

Describe to the breeder what you want in a dog - then they can match your pup to what you are looking for.

Shazzapug - can you describe what you mean by best attitude?

The little one isn't always bad - but choosing the little one because it's little is not the right way to go... but the littlest migth be the perfect match.

Whilst on the topic of littlest; can I please have some advice from breeders.

- A litter born all weighing 20grams difference from heaviest to lightest and all very similiar in size.

- At a week old, the pups are all gaining weight and looking good, all healthy and drinking well.

- At four weeks old, one pup is noticeable smaller then the others (almost two thirds of the size) but still well proportioned.

All other pups are normal sized for their breed and every single pup looks normal and healthy..

Would this pup likely be undersized as an adult or is this pup possibly just going to grow later then others?

Describe to the breeder what you want in a dog - then they can match your pup to what you are looking for.

Shazzapug - can you describe what you mean by best attitude?

The little one isn't always bad - but choosing the little one because it's little is not the right way to go... but the littlest migth be the perfect match.

The best attitude is the one that is happy and eager to come up to them, not the one hiding or sulking away from the others....I have no idea of this future pets breed....but in my breed attitude is the one saying look at me, you must be here to get me!!!!

- A litter born all weighing 20grams difference from heaviest to lightest and all very similiar in size.

- At a week old, the pups are all gaining weight and looking good, all healthy and drinking well.

- At four weeks old, one pup is noticeable smaller then the others (almost two thirds of the size) but still well proportioned.

All other pups are normal sized for their breed and every single pup looks normal and healthy..

Would this pup likely be undersized as an adult or is this pup possibly just going to grow later then others?

To hard to know by looking at that age. They all have different growth spurts. You may want to sup feed the small one though. If you sup feed the little one now take another look at the litter at about 7 weeks.

If you can meet the pups yourself, and the breeder allows you to choose the pup you want, the following method is to one I use...

Sit down on the ground near the puppies and let them do what pups do. After a while, one or more will come and snuggle in your lap. Select the one that falls asleep in your lap.

T.

Talk to the breeder about the kind of life you lead and your dog will lead and let them pick a pup for you.

Ultimately any puppy you take home should be playful, curious and appropriately cautious in new situations without being shy or fearful. They all have different personalities but it's much more complex than dominant or shy. It may be that the most important quality in a puppy for you is that the puppy is laid back, rather than a social butterfly with their nose in everything, for example. The breeder has worked out their little personalities by that stage, and probably yours as well!

The one thing you have to get right when it comes to choosing I think, is the breeder you choose.

is the one saying look at me, you must be here to get me!!!!

Is this one u describe necessarily the most dominant one?

Isnt it the case that the most dominant one, is the one least shy? Or not necessarily?

Edited by giraffez

As a breeder I choose the pups for my buyers based on their lifestyles and what they are after in a dog.

Saying that you should choose the pup that has a "look at me attitude" or "curls up in your lap" does not mean that the pup has the best attitude and characteristics that you are after.

If you came to my place and sat down you would have ever pup in your lap all wanting attention :)

Talk to your breeder, be honest in what you want.

Leanne

Tell the breeder about the temperament of the dog you already have, let them suggest which pups in the litter would be the best match to him and why they think that.

It could be a pup with a health problem that will affect it later on eg underdeveloped kidneys.

Size, I have had the smallest in the litter grow the biggest at a few months old, depends on the breed.

Re personality. I know the nature of mine between about 3 & 4 weeks old but a lot of how they develop depends on what the person who gets them does with the puppy.

A shy one may bloom in the right place & the outgoing one can become quiet. Personality is not all genetics, just part.

They may behave differently on the day you look according to the mood they are in.

Once I had them tearing around the house like maniacs for hours & popped them in the puppy pen 10 minutes before the buyer came. They looked like they were dead :mad so exhausted & just wanted to sleep & couldn't be bothered.

I don't do that now :)

Be guided by the breeder but the choice is yours & its which one you fall in love with.

Unless of course the breeder tells you that puppy is not what you would be happy with at all.