Pet Shops

RAH

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

they will NOT be selling puppies & kittens at all

Gina

What sort of livestock will they sell? I went into a pet shop yesterday and they were selling ducklings :) There were about a dozen in a glass reptile enclosure :laugh: They also had kittens, puppies, rabbits, mice, pythons, etc, etc, etc ;)

What I look for in a pet shop is friendly, knowledgeable, not sales-driven, pushy staff. Prices on stock -- it peeves me to tears when I go into a shop and there are no prices displayed. I refuse to ask how much something costs, for me, it's no price, no sale! They also need to do their research and not sell the same stuff that every other pet shop in their vicinity is selling and then have it sit there covered in dust. Having it set out in easy to find sections in a good idea, too. I went into a Pet Stock shop yesterday that I've never been in before and ended up walking out and going to another because I couldn't find anything, the place was a mess and I was going around in circles trying to find stuff for my puppy.

The pet shop near us is quite good - only negative is that they sell live pups and kittens. The pens are the largest I've seen and are floor to ceiling with good ventilation and A/C - always clean (but still - live animals). The place is always clean and plenty of room. Everything is easy to find - toy isle, food isle, grooming isle, special needs...etc. They do a good job selecting the products too - no cheap crap - even the pins on the brushes have been checked to make sure they are not to sharp. Not overly pricey either.

What do I want to buy?

1. Quality products. Collars and leashes with decent quality fittings that won't snap. Decent treats that aren't going to fill my dogs full of shite. Brushes, combs and grooming stuff that works and is not choc full of horrid cheap scent.

2. Food that isn't full of fillers.

3. TOYS!! I'd rarely walk out of a pet shop empty handed if it had decent qualilty plush dog toys.

4. Good quality fish food, especially frozen brine shrimp etc.

What do I not want to buy:

1. Dog clothes or other items aimed at turning my dogs into fur children. They ain't.

2. Nasty dried leather dog treats in weird arsed colours

3. Puppies or kittens.

The stuff I'd buy from a pet shop would be stuff that needs to be fitted to my dogs (eg. collars or coats) or that is too bulky to post. Most other stuff I buy online now. If a local store had decent service and decent prices, I'd buy more in person.

Edited by poodlefan

Hey there all, what you would like to see sold in a petshop ?? i know someone who is thinking about opening one

Gina

All wormers in bulk , she'll make a packet out of selling them cheaper than the vets. It's not hard to do and they are also very easy to undercut on things like Advocate, frontline etc.

A treat bar with things like ears, trotters and chicken sticks , is always a big hit. Let people choose how many they'd like, rather than prepackaged

The hardest thing to get from a pet supplies , is sensible and honest advice.

I would like to see a really good selection of leads, collars and harnesses, every where here is Rogz, I HATE Rogz......

Top qualilty food, not just the standard stuff.

A good selection of strong toys, not just fluffy stuff that they can gut in two seconds or Kongs, my dogs hate Kongs

Jackets, not cutsie crap but really decent coats for active dogs

And a decent selection of grooming products and staff that actually know how to use them!

Example:

I was in a pet store the other day with one of the Sammie's and a man came over to chat, he was getting a Sammie puppy soon (reg breeder :thumbsup: ) and he was showing me the furminator the store girl has sold him, saying it would be perfect for the breed :rofl:

I explained very carefully to him and the store girl what items should be used on such a coat....her lack of knowledge would have ruined that dogs coat.

People go to these places for advice so the correct information would be wonderful!

I buy dry food at shops and am a sucker for dog collars and leads.

I know somebody has said this before - but instead of selling pups or kittens , maybe a big notice board and photos of rescue available dogs/cats. If a rescue group was to join with a pet shop ? wouldn't that work?

Would be nice to make a living dealing with/selling things concerned with something you love :laugh:

Personally like others I would insist on a pet shop without live animals.

I would love to see a wide variety of premium & super premium dog food.

A large variety of good quality collars & leads.

Good selection of different toys.

Deals and bulk all wormers and flea treatments.

Staff who are knowledgeable :laugh:

Guest belgian.blue
The hardest thing to get from a pet supplies , is sensible and honest advice.

+1

A good varied supply of natural products also and treats that AREN'T made in China.

Personally like others I would insist on a pet shop without live animals.

I would love to see a wide variety of premium & super premium dog food.

A large variety of good quality collars & leads.

Good selection of different toys.

Deals and bulk all wormers and flea treatments.

Staff who are knowledgeable :laugh:

I would love to buy at a pet shop like this too. All of the above especially + knowledgeable staff.

What sort of livestock will they sell? I went into a pet shop yesterday and they were selling ducklings :o There were about a dozen in a glass reptile enclosure :)

What is wrong with selling ducklings in a pet shop? They are sold in far worse places and they don't fret for their mother or their siblings, they are not a 15 year pet, you can easily house one well in the tiniest of gardens, they will gobble up all the snails in your garden (and poop all over your doormat), they are a wonderful food disposal unit for almost all kitchen scraps, require almost no veterinary care, but they are not a terribly intelligent creature. Very few get dumped at the local pound because people are tired of them as a pet, and there are almost no noise complaints to council about ducks.

What is the problem with selling ducklings from a pet shop? Or chickens for that matter?

Both can be a very educational pet for children and if you have a supply of fresh eggs and get to eat duck l'orange in a year's time, then you will have reduced your carbon footprint hugely.

Souff

Many things as previously mentioned

Big ones for me are

Treats that are Australian made and prouduct of Australia, no imported crap and no died crap.

Good quality toys

Goode quality shampoos, brushes, grooming gear, crates etc.

Rescue organisations /shelters info displayed and no live animals

Good quality dry food

they are thinking of selling small animals likes chickens & rats,mice, fish & birds but not to have 100 in 1 cage, at the moment it is in the thinking stage, they have been doing lots of research on the net. There is only 3 petshops here, so i think it would be a good idea

Souff - ducklings in petshops

How do you know these ducklings haven't been snatched from their mother from a local park?

I have an issue with ANY live animals being sold in petshops. Any kind of bird is meant to fly and I find it extremely cruel to clip a bird's wings or keep it in an enclosure where it can't fly.

Souff - ducklings in petshops

How do you know these ducklings haven't been snatched from their mother from a local park?

I have an issue with ANY live animals being sold in petshops. Any kind of bird is meant to fly and I find it extremely cruel to clip a bird's wings or keep it in an enclosure where it can't fly.

Lol, as if people would bother trying to seek out livestock variety of ducks (not wild ducks) in parks and then go to the trouble of hunting them through the water and risk drowning or getting attacked by the parents when simply breeding them is 100x easier. :o

A place called Capalaba Produce breeds ducks and chickens and turkeys, they're awesome, they have a little farm-like place attached to the pet shop (which contains food for all sorts of animals, toys for all sorts of animals, medicine, toys, everything!) and there are horsies there and goats and sheep and it's fantastic, I want more pet shops like that, it's like a tourist site over there :)