The Queen Is A Byb

Fanuilos

I actually only posted this as I thought it was funny. Not to imply the Queen doesn't care about dogs. Yes I do know she has quite a successful kennel and not just labs.

Also, if the mating was an accidental mating more than 30 years ago, why does she still have 3 Dorgis? I've never heard of a dog living for 30 years!

Apparently somebody liked the mix and others were bred later possibly? Way before there was any fuss about designer dogs.

Souff

Edited by Souff

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good grief, the accidental litter between the Corgi and the Dachshund happened about 30 years ago, hardly new news. And I hardly think that the elderly monarch is about to set up a website selling designer dogs.

Her Labradors are doing very nicely in the field, I hear. I met a staffer of one of the Royals some years back and he told me about the Labradors - until then I only knew that she bred Corgis so she is hardly out there promoting her breeding ..... she doesn't have to after all :(

She has a genuine love of dogs and that is good enough for me.

Souff

Thank Souff....for saying what I wanted to say. :thumbsup:

I have heard, that in her younger years, she was a superb trainer and handler of Labradors and could work them better than many professional trainers.

She is also well aware of how important pedigrees are..in both dogs and horses. I would suspect she just kept up the X breeds because they come from dogs she has loved. It's not as if she has a sign on the fence of Buckingham Palace saying...'Designer puppies for sale!' ;)

By the way...I'm not sure which palace grounds it is in, but the Royals have a special pet cemetary, where each and every much loved dog is buried, with a headstone.

She is also Patron of Dogs Trust....a dog welfare/rehoming organisation and the largest dog welfare charity in the UK.

From the Royal's website......

"The Queen is Patron of over 30 animal charities from the RSPCA to The Red Poll Cattle Society and the Labrador Retriever Club. Many of the charities reflect Her Majesty’s personal interests: she is patron of The Royal Pigeon Racing Association and owns her own pigeons which are kept on the Sandringham Estate; her Patronage of the Royal Windsor Horse Show was a natural choice as the Royal Family have been involved with the event since its inception and her involvement with the Thoroughbred Breeders' Association is indicative of her private interest in breeding and racing horses.

The Duke of Edinburgh’s animal patronages reflect his interest in birds (the British Falconers' Club, Cornell University Laboratory of Ornithology and Birds Australia) and conservation (World Wide Fund for Nature, South Saskatchewan Wildlife Association and Friends of the Sea Otter amongst others).

The Duchess of Cornwall takes a keen in interest in animal welfare and is Patron of the following animal organisations, the Animal Care Trust, the Brooke Hospital for Animals, the Moorland Mousie Trust, and the Langford Trust which supports the University of Bristol's School of Veterinary Science.

Other members of the Royal Family are involved in numerous animal charities, from small, niche organisations such as St Tiggywinkles or the British Goat Society to international wildlife organisations."

:)

:(

So does that mean if I love my dogs, and don't sell them for profit, its OK for me to BYB?

agreed Kirty. If she was a bogan and only the Queen of moccasins I'm sure opinions would be different.

Fan, I think its a great topic, and you are right about the current x-breds.

So does that mean if I love my dogs, and don't sell them for profit, its OK for me to BYB?

That's an interesting point, I'm glad someone bought it up. I'm guessing people are more easy going when judging the Queen than they would be on your random old lady. Most people have a soft spot for the queen. Plus, who's going to tell her she's wrong? :thumbsup:

For myself though, I'm wondering, does the queen ever sell these "Dorgies" at all? If she's kept them all as her own personal dogs, then I think that's less of a problem than someone that crossbreeds puppies to sell, since her dogs presumably won't be getting sold as "hypoallergenic" and won't be getting dumped in the shelter system by impulse buyers when the novelty wears off.

The TV Programme of the Queen training her labs was an episode of The Royals..., from all accounts even at the age of 84 she is still pretty good at it and as keen as ever. HM does have a registered prefix and she does sell her Labs from her Sandringham based Kennels. She knows her bloodlines and plans the matings.

One of the Royal Dog cemeteries is at Winsdor Castle behind the Royal Lodge. Queen Victoria started it.

I personaly don't have a problem with backyard breeders anyway...

As long as they are well looked after,raised and homed,don't have any in bred health problems and aren't promoted as a "designer breed" whats the big deal?

If some one sees qualities in these dogs that they want,fine.

To have only pure bred,pedigree dogs in the world would lead to bigger problems that exsist now.

Not every one wants to show,breed and keep dogs only in the manner proscribed by those dedicated to keeping their specific chosen breeds.

Surely it realy comes down to welfare,and I don't believe back yard breeder always means unethical.

Also, if the mating was an accidental mating more than 30 years ago, why does she still have 3 Dorgis? I've never heard of a dog living for 30 years!

Haven't you heard of hybrid vigour - the dogs live so much longer :)

I forgot about that, maybe they are from the original litter :cry: :D :(

What does it matter if she gave them all good homes? It's not like she's in it for the money. :D

Because the ignorant masses follow lead without researching and are likely to crossbred for the money and not place precedence on finding perfect homes.

As long as they are well looked after,raised and homed,don't have any in bred health problems and aren't promoted as a "designer breed" whats the big deal?

To have only pure bred,pedigree dogs in the world would lead to bigger problems that exsist now.

Not every one wants to show,breed and keep dogs only in the manner proscribed by those dedicated to keeping their specific chosen breeds.

Surely it realy comes down to welfare,and I don't believe back yard breeder always means unethical.

But what about overpopulation? There are enough dogs dying in shelters, why add more to an overflowing population? And AFAIK, very few, if any, byb'ers will bother to health test their stock, nor desex them or offer a desexing contract. At the very least, *ethical* registered breeders breed to improve, encourage responsible dog ownership, have desexing plans and often don't breed all that frequently. I'd rather them adding to the canine population than a byb'er.

Just playing Devil's Advocate..

well why should you slag off the queen less than the poor idoit who wanders in here looking for advice on their lab who is due any day?

it should be a taring and feathering all round! :D :( no holds barred!

funny that not what you do in this life but who you are...

fwiw.... who cares if she populated every palace in england with mutts! so long as they are well cared for, which they seem to be.

But what about overpopulation? There are enough dogs dying in shelters, why add more to an overflowing population? And AFAIK, very few, if any, byb'ers will bother to health test their stock, nor desex them or offer a desexing contract. At the very least, *ethical* registered breeders breed to improve, encourage responsible dog ownership, have desexing plans and often don't breed all that frequently. I'd rather them adding to the canine population than a byb'er.

Sure,but you say"Ethical" registered breeders.Not all are,yet all are taught here that BYB is THE dirty word.

I still don't believe "backyard breeder " always means unethical.

I know of people breeding to most of the criteria you mention and whos dogs are in high demand,to pre approved homes only,with waiting lists,because they breed seldom and only from healthy stock,for specific purposes.

And yes,At the very least,they also breed to improve,encourage responsible dog ownership,don't breed very often at all and monitor health as an ongoing responsibility.

I also know of more than several pedigree/show breeders who miss out on most of the criteria you mention.

Its not right to tar every one with the same brush.

Again,surely its about welfare.

Perhaps before you post this sort of GARBAGE you should read the Forum rules, in particular Rule no 4

Sure,but you say"Ethical" registered breeders.Not all are,yet all are taught here that BYB is THE dirty word.

I still don't believe "backyard breeder " always means unethical.

I know of people breeding to most of the criteria you mention and whos dogs are in high demand,to pre approved homes only,with waiting lists,because they breed seldom and only from healthy stock,for specific purposes.

And yes,At the very least,they also breed to improve,encourage responsible dog ownership,don't breed very often at all and monitor health as an ongoing responsibility.

I also know of more than several pedigree/show breeders who miss out on most of the criteria you mention.

Its not right to tar every one with the same brush.

Again,surely its about welfare.

As I said, very few (if any) byb'ers test their animals. There may be a minority that do, but I imagine it is safe to say that it is most probable that the majority of registered breeders test their animals (actually I can't quite remember so if someone can remind me: is it mandatory for registered breeders to test their animals/litters, or else they cannot register the litter with their control body? not sure), and the majority of byb'ers don't. There is a reason Backyard Breeder is a dirty word - because the decent majority of them have given themselves a bad reputation. It didn't just fall out of the sky as gospel. I have met plenty of people who genuinely love and care for their little mongrel fluffies and the subsequent ones they breed. But, they don't even know what health testing is (or many think it's just a vet checkup) and I take serious issue with that, no matter how well cared for their little dogs are.