What Is The Difference Between Japanese Spitz And German Spitz?

Thundersbeard

Thanks. I've read heaps about the seperate breeds on the internet.

But, now I'm here, asking the people who live or breed with japanese and german spitzes about the differences in the dogs.

I've done the reading, and now I'm trying to do the conversing!

No offense intended with any of the above!

I have established they both have great coats, they both have great temprements and are great with kids, they are both indoors and outdoors dogs, very hardy but love a cuddle, the japanese are only white and the german are lots of different colours. I also know that the Japanese come in one size and the German in (relatively) many.

What I'm asking now, from the people who know German Spitzes and Japanese Spitzes, is what defines the seperate breeds from a dog owners point of view?

How would you suggest I choose a japanese spitz over a german spitz or vice versa (bearing in mind that neither speak english :) )

I have 3 young kids who by the time we actually get the dog will be around 3, 5 and 7 or maybe a year older. We also have 15 acres with a big enclosed back yard. The dog would have free reign of the back yard but would also come out with me on the farm. We have a lot of native wild life esp. kangaroonies and the neighbours have sheep. Are these going to be a problem? (We all too briefly had a fox terrier x that used to try and round up the neighbours sheep, chase the kangaroonies and bark at the kookaburras, possums, kangaroonies through the fence, echidnas etc.) Or more to the point - which breed do you think will have LESS of a problem (I am yet to find a dog that does not marvel at the existance of an echidna!)

Edited by Thundersbeard

Thanks. I've read heaps about the seperate breeds on the internet.

But, now I'm here, asking the people who live or breed with japanese and german spitzes about the differences in the dogs.

I've done the reading, and now I'm trying to do the conversing!

No offense intended with any of the above!

I have established they both have great coats, they both have great temprements and are great with kids, they are both indoors and outdoors dogs, very hardy but love a cuddle, the japanese are only white and the german are lots of different colours. I also know that the Japanese come in one size and the German in (relatively) many.

What I'm asking now, from the people who know German Spitzes and Japanese Spitzes, is what defines the seperate breeds from a dog owners point of view?

How would you suggest I choose a japanese spitz over a german spitz or vice versa (bearing in mind that neither speak english :) )

I have 3 young kids who by the time we actually get the dog will be around 3, 5 and 7 or maybe a year older. We also have 15 acres with a big enclosed back yard. The dog would have free reign of the back yard but would also come out with me on the farm. We have a lot of native wild life esp. kangaroonies and the neighbours have sheep. Are these going to be a problem? (We all too briefly had a fox terrier x that used to try and round up the neighbours sheep, chase the kangaroonies and bark at the kookaburras, possums, kangaroonies through the fence, echidnas etc.) Or more to the point - which breed do you think will have LESS of a problem (I am yet to find a dog that does not marvel at the existance of an echidna!)

ANY dog that is not trained will do this, you are not going to buy an instant Lassie or Inspector Rex. You need to go out and meet some of both breeds and then decide if they are the breed for you.

Personally if you want a dog that you can take out and about on land, I would go for a short coated breed unless you are really keen on coat care and grooming.

We have a lot of native wild life esp. kangaroonies and the neighbours have sheep. Are these going to be a problem? (We all too briefly had a fox terrier x that used to try and round up the neighbours sheep, chase the kangaroonies and bark at the kookaburras, possums, kangaroonies through the fence, echidnas etc.) Or more to the point - which breed do you think will have LESS of a problem (I am yet to find a dog that does not marvel at the existance of an echidna!)

Pug! TBH I think most dogs will like you said, but Spitz tend to yap a lot and may get over excited by all the wildlife and yap yap yap. I think Pugs are usually a friend to all so less likely to attack wild life plus great with kids. A spitz coat on acreage will be extra work too. Any Terrier would be the last dog I would choose for your situation, there are of course always exceptions.

I don't own either, but I do own a Keeshond which has a similar coat to the JS and GS. The above poster has a point - hopefully you've thought about that and have decided you're ok with the grooming requirements if you are taking the dog out onto acres.

If your property has burrs and grass seeds, you will need to groom this dog daily to remove any grass seeds in particular (but also burrs will be a problem) as they can end up in costly vet bills to remove them if they dig into the skin. My Keeshond got out onto a friend's acres and when he came back I had to spend the next 5 hours grooming him - 1 hour to remove the burrs, 4 hours to line comb him to find all the grass seeds.

I'm not saying don't get one of these breeds, just be aware of the extra requirements compared to a short coated breed.

It's not just the burrs and grass seeds I worry about being on acerage, it's the ticks. We have kangaroos, rabbits, possums and birds and heaps of ticks. You have to be extra vigilant after a romp away from the house and go over every inch of them. I have a shih Tzu and have the ability to keep her short, much easier than a spitz breed.

their accent

sorry couldnt help myself :thumbsup:

:) :D

Just my very small experience. In the past year, I have rescued from pounds a pure bred German Spitz (about 2 years old) and a cross German Spitz (about 7 years old). I can honestly say that these two dogs were two of the nicest dogs I have ever had and I hear regularly from the people who adopted them. They are both totally in love with these dogs and apart from the cross having a few health issues which didn't surface when he was here, they are happy, playful, good natured dogs. Both are really lovely dogs in looks and nature.

Thanks guys. I'm sure that closer to when we get the dog we'll go and meet the breeds but for right now I'm just curious as to what seperates the german from the japanese spitz.

The coat is another consideration for sure but like I said we're only in the research phase. Realistically, we're still a year or two away from getting a dog. I just like to do my research well in advance!

I'm not against dogs barking or training dogs or any of those things. The terrier was only a problem because she kept nipping the kids and pulling my sons dirty nappies off! The kids were too young, my wife was too sick; so something had to go. Me or the dog!

So both breeds of spitzes can be yappy; is one breed more yappy then the other do you think? And if we had 2 dogs would the extra company keep the noise down or increase it!

Edited by Thundersbeard

So both breeds of spitzes can be yappy; is one breed more yappy then the other do you think? And if we had 2 dogs would the extra company keep the noise down or increase it!

Increase it I'd say.

I agree with increase it. While I don't have a Jap or German Spitz, I have a Sibe (so a Spitz breed) and while talkative, she's not too bad at home - for example, I haven't had to teach her the quiet command. However, when she's with her friend Ella (a Lappie and another Spitz breed) my Sibe is VERY talkative and I regret not teaching her to be quiet!

Yeah, it'd increase it. They'd set each other off. The GS were bred as watchdogs, so you'd probably find they would bark more than a JS. That doesn't mean they are yappy (though they can be) but it does mean that they can/will bark at anything, even if what they are barking at is invisible to you :thumbsup: You can train the barking so that it is minimal, but they will never be silent dogs.

I don't know much about Japanese but Germans can be very barky/yappy. From what I have seen of Japanese they can be reserved around strangers.

Germans coat is fairly easy to maintain, doesn't tangle like a lot of long hair breeds but you will have problems with prickles etc and daily grooming will be required.

Most Germans are very laid back but you can get a hypo one every now and again.

The best thing to do is go to a dog show and personally meet both the breeds.

Leanne

hey,

i have a samoyed (spitz breed also) I too would say they can be a little more yappy. my boy is quiet at home but can be very vocal while we walk and he see's another dog.

Also dont be 100% set they will be great with kids. I am learning this while my boy loves the kids he has growled at them.

if you want a super loyal, obediant dog dont get a spitz breed. they seem to have a inderpendant streak and are super super smart. they like to do there own thing and sometimes it does not fit into your thing LOL

um yes grooming. unless you love to groom or are prepared to make time at least every few weeks. dont get one.

Japanese Spitz were not bred to guard, they are simply companion dogs bred to be beautiful. Some of them are extreme barkers but others only bark briefly when there is a reason to bark. They will all bark when confined if they see something interesting because they are very brave when they feel safe but when out loose or on a lead, are far less likely to bark. I find them amusing at shows when they bark frantically at a big dog standing near their trolley, but if you take them out of the trolley, they go instantly silent. :thumbsup: They are not stupid enough to bark at bigger dogs if there is not a solid barrier between them.

The few German Spitz I have seen do seem to bark a lot and are not as friendly as the Japs I know, but they are still a very rare breed here so it is hard to make any overall assumptions about the breed as a whole. I find it hard to believe that such a rare breed would turn up in rescue. The puppy farmers don't seem to have discovered the Germans yet but sadly there are plenty of them with Japs.

The temperament varies a lot in Jap Spitz as well and anyone not breeding with temperament as a high priority will have nervous yappy dogs. The only way to make a decision on temperament is to meet dogs owned by breeders and then decide if these particular dogs are what you are after. I love Jap Spitz but only some of them. Even among my friends outstanding quality dogs, there are only some that I would consider owning a puppy from.