Any Ideas On Breed Of My Pup

kels84

it's a lurcher for pigging. Mum could have been a home made amstaff, dad was a mix too. There's a few different breeds in your dog no way it's just amstaff x.

This is what I reckon too. Looks like a lot of pups I've seen around. And a greyhound cross can be a popular addition to pig dogs - a bit of speed, so goes the theory. Also, those legs, the sheer size, speaks a little of wolfhound too - another popular in the pigging mix. If it is bred

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

lurchers run down the pigs and sometimes deer (not that you are allowed to now but anyhoo) hence the sighthound in them. Not usually the dog that holds the pig but the one that finds it and chases it until its cornered for the others to latch onto

very whippetyish and or greyhoundyish. If someone told me it even had a bit of saluki or one of those similar breeds but with short hair in there I'd believe them. I think it will grow into a lovely dog but I cannot see any american staffy in it.

lurchers run down the pigs and sometimes deer (not that you are allowed to now but anyhoo) hence the sighthound in them.

Makes sense. He looks like Greengrass's lurcher without being hairy.

Welcome to the forums & enjoy. :grimace:

When we were young and stupid and had pig dogs. I know, shoot me now...

The finders found on scent, not sight. And often at night. The country was thick and scrubby. The finder had to be capable of holding too. The mix required speed, strength, scent trailing ability and usually had to be pretty laid back at home in the burbs too.

Whatever we know now of genetics, where we were at the time, greyhound, staghound, wolfhound crosses were used for speed, mastiff and other bull breeds for strength, toughness and laidbackedness. Scent just seemed to be there or not. No one crossed a beagle or something like that in for scent, such breeds weren't really available in that area. Boxer was a common cross, but I can't remember why. Perhaps they have good noses. I know someone who had some lab in theirs. This pup looks alot like the staghound / greyhound type crosses which everyone had. They were lovely dogs. All the hunting dogs I knew were so well adjusted and cared for. Our vets used to even compliment us - our dogs were always excersied, trained, well fed and cared for. The got to hunt, which they LOVED. And they got loved at home. They make excellent pets, by and large. Of course there were people who didn't care for their dogs quite so well, and who didn't respect the prey. We didn't associate with such people.

I wonder if the OP lives in an area where such dogs may be being bred?

Anyway, I grew up and we don't hunt pigs anymore. Nor do I breed dogs anymore.

Bit of dobermann

Are you serious???

which bit???

or German Pinscher

Which bit is a good question.

It raises the query which part of the anatomy can most reliably be used to determine the 'breeds' of a X?

I think ears are a dead giveaway.

Edited by pewithers

She is cute, and rather large for her age, I am with COsmolo she is going to be big.

I think Grey X as well, with goodness knows what else. I don't see one hair of bull breed. She did look whippety until I saw her size. My male Whippet is 14.5kgs fully grown and has decent bone and well filled out.

Spearwood is a suburb of Perth. I have seen some pig dog type of litters advertised in the Quokka, but I think they are from up north a bit and would be more roo dogs than pig dogs I think.

Do people use dogs for hunting roos in WA? That would be so illegal in QLD. What do the roo dogs do?

Wow, now that's a freaky kinda dog!

Def. sighthound x!

So how come you purchased from a pet store out of curiousty rather than buying a x-breed from a pound or a shelter?

I was going to reccomend the Bitsa test but if the dog is x-bred through generations it can be hard to even get a secondary breed ping on them, mind you, you never know: http://www.gtglabs.com/bitsa/ depends if you have some money to burn I guess LOL

mmm I don't see any staffy at all.

Spearwood is a suburb of Perth. I have seen some pig dog type of litters advertised in the Quokka, but I think they are from up north a bit and would be more roo dogs than pig dogs I think.

Do people use dogs for hunting roos in WA? That would be so illegal in QLD. What do the roo dogs do?

Depends. Some Roo shooters shoot roo's then send the dogs out to mark where they have fallen, one I know uses Weims as they are easy to see in the spotlight.

Others use them to hunt, pull down and kill roo's. As far as I know it is not illegal but most people shoot them or get a roo shooter in. Not too many use dogs.

Depends. Some Roo shooters shoot roo's then send the dogs out to mark where they have fallen, one I know uses Weims as they are easy to see in the spotlight.

Others use them to hunt, pull down and kill roo's. As far as I know it is not illegal but most people shoot them or get a roo shooter in. Not too many use dogs.

Ahh, interesting. The use of a dog to find the downed shot roo is a good idea. They can be hard to find in long grass or something.

Pulling down and killing roos - surprised that is not illegal. WA's laws might not be so tough as qld perhaps. Plus, from the point of view of a professional roo shooter - I'm surprised it wouldn't cause too much carcase damage. Thanks for the info.

Wow, now that's a freaky kinda dog!

Def. sighthound x!

So how come you purchased from a pet store out of curiousty rather than buying a x-breed from a pound or a shelter?

We were considering adopting a greyhound, when we were in the pet shop looking at fish and saw her. She was out growing the cage (had already been there for 1 month) all her brothers and sisters had sold, she was discounted to $100. We instantly fell in love with her.

post-37981-1292832828_thumb.jpg

We were considering adopting a greyhound, when we were in the pet shop looking at fish and saw her. She was out growing the cage (had already been there for 1 month) all her brothers and sisters had sold, she was discounted to $100. We instantly fell in love with her.

Poor little tyke. Don't be offended by my signature :) . We all have to learn and good thing you have joined a forum where there are people with a wealth of knowledge and desire to help and positively educate.

Lovely little dog.