Merry Christmas

Steve

Joint Statement:

Minister for Primary Industries, Fisheries and Rural and Regional Queensland, The Honourable Tim Mulherin

Minister for Local Government and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Partnerships, The Honourable Desley Boyle

Thursday, December 23, 2010

Puppy farms putting cash ahead of care are on borrowed time

The Bligh Government is planning a dog breeder identification system – a first for Queensland – in a bid to squeeze unscrupulous dog farmers out of the market.

Local Government Minister Desley Boyle said the dog breeder ID was being developed in partnership with industry to give consumers a pro-welfare choice when it comes to buying a puppy.

“It is a sad fact that puppy farms exist,” Ms Boyle said.

“There are unscrupulous puppy farmers out there who keep animals cooped up in cramped conditions where they are constantly pregnant or lactating just to keep up with buyer demand,” she said.

“These are ruthless operators who typically put cash ahead of care and buyers are none the wiser. Puppy farms are not registered breeders.”

Ms Boyle said the new breeder ID would change that by assigning each breeder property with its own number and breeders would be required to show their number at pet shops and in any advertisements.

The Bligh Government is developing the new system in consultation with key stakeholders including the RSPCA, Animal Welfare League, Dogs Queensland, the Local Government Association of Queensland, the Australian Veterinary Association and the University of Queensland.

Primary Industries, Fisheries and Rural and Regional Queensland Minister Tim Mulherin said at the heart of the matter was improving the welfare of animals.

“The consensus is we need to move on this issue and we are developing a new policy to help Queenslanders make an informed choice which would squeeze unethical puppy farmers out of the market,” he said.

“We are not out to get responsible dog breeders who do the right thing – far from it.

They will be showcased because they will have a dog breeder ID and be proud to promote it.

“Consumers will be looking for a breeder ID, and good breeders will be in demand.

“We will also be encouraging Queenslanders to buy only from registered breeders.”

Other elements of the Bligh Government’s plan include:

• <LI style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>Requiring breeder ID numbers to be displayed at points of sale or in advertising for sale or supply; <LI style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>Compulsory microchippping of breeding bitches; <LI style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>a requirement that the registration number/microchip number of the breeding bitch must be included as part of the microchip information on all animals bred from that dog; <LI style="COLOR: navy; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3" class=MsoNormal>Development of Dog Breeder Standards by Biosecurity Queensland (DEEDI) in consultation with stakeholders;
  • Breeders to continue to be subject to the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008 and the Animal Care and Protection Act 2001 (ACPA) as well as any new requirements under the proposed Dog Breeder Standards under ACPA.

Consultation with stakeholders is continuing and the new system is expected to be up and running before the end of 2011. It is expected the new Breeder Identification number will be brought in under an amendment to the Animal Management (Cats and Dogs) Act 2008.

Media Contacts: Minister Boyle’s Office – Liam Ferney 0428 199 933 0428 199 933

Minister Mulherin’s Office – 3239 3000

http://www.cabinet.qld.gov.au/MMS/Statemen...e.aspx?id=73112

:laugh: I'm pleased that efforts are being made, and the seriousness of this issue is being addressed.

I wonder how it will be 'policed' though, how conditions of all 'breeders' with this ID will be checked to ensure conditions are compliant?

Here's hoping it will be a successful movement - of course there is always the danger of puppy farmers being driven further underground.

Didnt take em long

new ad today.

Due to new laws that require anyone selling dogs/cats/birds to have a breeders number it is going to make it very difficult for pet shops to find pets.

I am after breeders who are willing to get a breeders number (which is easily done but costs approx $170 and approx $35 every year after that. Apply at your local council) and willing to sell the puppies to Noah's Aquarium and Pets (can view shop first). These laws are going to make it very difficult to find puppies, so anyone who wants to continue breeding and wants a guaranteed buyer without fuss, I am happy to make a deal with you.

Email [email protected] the type of dogs you breed and prices you are after (and breeder number).

I can NOT take american staffies, pitbulls or other dangerous breeds.

The cheaper I can buy puppies (but at a reasonable price for you), the cheaper i can sell the puppies to families who are struggling.

I also like the "sell the puppies to families who are struggling".

Goes to show pet shops have no scruples AT ALL. Struggling families shouldn't be getting a dog. If they can't afford to feed it, medicate it, DESEX it then the wonderful wheel of unwanted pups, and dogs people can't afford to keep, end up in the shelters.

wankers.

Sorry folks, it really ticks me off.

right -so what information does that pet store have that we don't? Is this or is this not still in the consultation stage?

If the pet store need to report the breeder number then if there are a lot of stores using the one breeder that should be a red flag for getting checked out.

right -so what information does that pet store have that we don't? Is this or is this not still in the consultation stage?

If the pet store need to report the breeder number then if there are a lot of stores using the one breeder that should be a red flag for getting checked out.

well sure, unless any number of possible loopholes are exploited such as having multiple people register with a different number each - we really wont know the potential for good or ill until there is a finished product, but I'm not sure how what you wrote relates to the question I asked?

Edited by Kissindra

The cheaper I can buy puppies (but at a reasonable price for you), the cheaper i can sell the puppies to families who are struggling.

O...M...G... :( Maybe it should read, the cheaper i can buy the puppies, the more profit I can make when I rip struggling families off.

Take the sale of live animals out of pet shops too, maybe there's a chance to really shut these sad practices down...

Is there any detail yet of the process involved in getting a breeder number? Really if anyone can get the ID number whats going to stop the puppy farmers applying.

When we attended the round table conference where this was discussed the only breeder group which attended which supported licences and ID numbers etc ----

was The Australian Assoc of Pet Dog Breeders Commercial pet breeders group.

What should that have told them?

Is there any detail yet of the process involved in getting a breeder number? Really if anyone can get the ID number whats going to stop the puppy farmers applying.

When we attended the round table conference where this was discussed the only breeder group which attended which supported licences and ID numbers etc ----

who else attended?

who else attended?

ANKC, Dogs NSW MDBA - all against this and AAPDB [Commercial Breeders] ,RSPCA NSW, RSPCA Act , RSPCA Queensland RSPCA Australia, AWL, Young Lawyers, Deathrow Pets were for this.

PIAA was there too but I dont remember if they were for or against.

Hi Steve,

Do you know if there has been/will be a NTIS recognised course developed for dog breeders to at least let people know of their obligations under this new scheme?

I just cant see how this will stop puppy farmers, especially commercial ones. Its just another cost to add to an already expensive hobby for the rest of us. I am starting to feel like one of those people who said they would give up smoking when they reached a dollar a packet.

Lucky I dont drink, smoke, do drugs or gamble.................I couldnt afford a second expensive vice!

Hmmmm, I'm from the Government I'm here to help you! :laugh:

Boy the RSPCA and the Animal Libers really stacked the deck there didn't they!

I would love to believe that only the 'bad guys' will be affected by this decision but I fear that it is yet another nail in the coffin of the pure breed dog breeder - we were already over regulated!

The Bligh Government has surely lost my vote and I am not alone in that sentiment! :thumbsup:

I wonder what is happening about CATS????

I wonder why they don't simply use the breeder's current membership to their state's body as enough to ID them ?

fifi

There's nothing to say that this won't be the case fifi......scare mongering that this is the end of the world is fruitless....let DQ and the people in power work out what is happening and how...I really don't believe DQ registered breeders with council approvals will have issues......

I wonder why they don't simply use the breeder's current membership to their state's body as enough to ID them ?

fifi

Any exemptions members of the ANKC may get the members of the Australian Association of Pet Dog Breeders - commercial pet breeders - will get too.

They have been very clever in ensuring they register puppies and police their members under a code of conduct which ensures they are treated as equal.

They are cheering.

Will be an interesting few months ahead in Queensland. The pet shop industry will already have worked out how to rort the system and it will be up to others in the decision making process to be aware of this and to put safeguards in place.

To date, only registered purebred dog breeders have been visible and accountable - the others (the majority) have been lurking in the shadows and have been answerable to no organisations.

No system is perfect but if this makes some of the others visible, and a little bit more accountable, then that has to be an improvement. Lets hope that the policing is adequate, because that will be as important as what is written into the legislation. Let's also hope that the Queensland Government are not completely snowed by the self-interest of those who see themselves as "peak bodies".

Souff