What Do U Feed Your Dogs?

zizzi

Purely out of interest what does everyone else feed their dogs? Mine get hills it's all I've ever fed them and they thrive on it but some people I see say their dogs don't do so well and prefer home meals. How do u get a home meal perfect? Has anyone got good recipes?

Mine also get raw bones and fresh chicken carcass. Does anyone feed their dog cooked bones?

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Never feed a dog cooked bones - really bad idea!

I think you'll find this subject has been done to death in the health & nutirition section.

Me - mine get a mixture. If I was in a position to 100% raw feed I would but at the moment don't have the freezer space so they get a mixture of raw & Black Hawk dry.

I know that cooked bones are a definite no-no, yet I know someone who regularly cooks chicken wings (I know! :o ) and other bones on the BBQ for their dogs. :shrug: I have mentioned to them several times that it is really not a good idea, but that's what they do. Had to hide a smile recently when they expressed disapproval to me about feeding my dog a frozen turkey wing (in an attempt to stop her inhaling it) :cheer:

I know that cooked bones are a definite no-no, yet I know someone who regularly cooks chicken wings (I know! :o ) and other bones on the BBQ for their dogs. :shrug: I have mentioned to them several times that it is really not a good idea, but that's what they do. Had to hide a smile recently when they expressed disapproval to me about feeding my dog a frozen turkey wing (in an attempt to stop her inhaling it) :cheer:

I have seen a cat choke on a cooked chicken bone, not something I would ever want to see again in a cat or a dog.

Some people are just lucky and others are plain stupid.

For kibble we give Kyojin ProPlan Puppy Large Breed. We also add a variety of other things to his kibble, such as: raw meat, bones, tuna, natural yoghurt, garlic, chicken stock, frozen veges, grated veges, rice, pasta, egg etc.

I have seen a cat choke on a cooked chicken bone, not something I would ever want to see again in a cat or a dog.

Some people are just lucky and others are plain stupid.

I agree. I remember as a kid seeing an episode of A Country Practice I think where a dog started to choke on a cooked chop bone and being horrified that it could happen to one of our own dogs, and telling my parents not to ever let our dogs get the leftover lamb roast bone again. :laugh:

I really don't know why they insist on cooking their dog's food- seems like a waste of time and energy to me, not to mention a potential choking hazard.

My dogs get Advance dry food, mixed with raw mince.

They will also get spread out through the week raw bones, sardines, & raw egg.

I used to feed them Eagle pack holistic dry food, but this was giving them sloppy poos & lots of gas.

The Advance seems to agree with them, they now look very healthy, nice shiny coats & nice firm poos. :shrug:

Never give a dog or cat cooked bones of any description.

Ruby and Lilly are raw-fed while Molly is now on Royal Canin because she had a few problems with cholesterol and weight-gain on raw. Molly gets some raw from time to time but the RC is great for her and she's lost the weight she didn't need. Her cholesterol has come down too.

I'm trying to find a less expensive dog food supplier - Woolies and BiLo are pretty dear for dog food. :shrug:

I'm curious about the cholesterol LM. Monte, my epileptic, was included in a study done by Sydney University on epilepsy. They noted his cholesterol was high in his blood tests (among other notes) but his Neurologist told me that dogs were not affected by cholseterol like humans were and it was not a concern at all. :shrug: