Endurance Test 2011 Thread

Just come back from buying the padded shorts!!!!!!!! :birthday::cheer::laugh::scold: :D :cry::cry::cry:

In padded shorts I make an elephant look slim :p But the indignity of not wearing underwear :):):(:birthday::birthday: I think I might have to work up to.

Now trying to work out when I can sneak out of the house wearing the new padded shorts, this is a picture that should not be seen in public!!

PS OH has muttered they sell mountain bikes in Aldi for $50 don't they, so I am wondering if a really cheap Aldi mountain bike would do the job, because honestly I don't think I would ride it again for another 5 years until the next dog needs to do an ET.

Hell for $50 I'd be buying it and just giving it a shot. :)

If it's no good, then just sell it for $20 to the kids down teh street. :o

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Unfortunately the dog must work beside you and not pull. If the dog is pulling all the way, you could be disqualified.

Start training him to "hel" beside you on the bike. It really does not take long to condition the dog.

:o Ok thanks, looks like I will have to.

Decided to pull the bike out of the shed and give it a go this morning before attempting it with the dog along side. l dont remember the bike seat being so small and l think the neighbours might scratch their eyes out if they saw me in Lycra riding down the street.

Where is the SA one held, all the Vic ones are 5 + hours away.

OH has just seen me in the bike shorts, he has muttered words about embarassment, humiliation and a possible divorce from a woman that would go out in public wearing bike shorts.

Ummmmmmm did mention that I am now expecting him to wear a pair of bike shorts :(:birthday::birthday::birthday: as well and we will be going shopping for them later in the week. I think the comment was definately looking into divorcee :o :p :):)

Michael I brought lycra bike shorts from Rebel am I still expected to be naked under these???? (where is the blushing smilie when you have to ask a man you have never met this question).

Well considering I have never ridden a bike in my life, didn't even have one as a kid, I would have to jog this.

Which would be a huge training effort to get to from my current state of serious unfitness but it would give me something to aim for which is a positive. (and I could avoid the whole lycra thing, which would be a blessing!)

If I didn't get fit enough, can different people take the dog for the run vs the willingness test? I have a couple of young relatives who are triathletes and who could run or bike it easily, but the dogs might not do the obedience bit for them.

OH has just seen me in the bike shorts, he has muttered words about embarassment, humiliation and a possible divorce from a woman that would go out in public wearing bike shorts.

Ummmmmmm did mention that I am now expecting him to wear a pair of bike shorts :(:birthday::birthday::birthday: as well and we will be going shopping for them later in the week. I think the comment was definately looking into divorcee :o :p :):)

Michael I brought lycra bike shorts from Rebel am I still expected to be naked under these???? (where is the blushing smilie when you have to ask a man you have never met this question).

Yep, if they are the padded lycra bike shorts - no knickers! :cheer:

If I didn't get fit enough, can different people take the dog for the run vs the willingness test? I have a couple of young relatives who are triathletes and who could run or bike it easily, but the dogs might not do the obedience bit for them.

You can have different people do different legs of the test... So one person do the first 8km, then another person do the next 6km and then someone else do the last 6km, so I imagine you could have someone else do the willingness test?? Not sure!

The willingness test is verrrrrry casual... All the dog needs to do is walk a few paces, turn around, walk a few more paces. Sit. Stay (even if they kinda stay). Come. That's it. It's all on lead and takes about 20 seconds.

Edited by TerraNik

You can have different people do different legs of the test... So one person do the first 8km, then another person do the next 6km and then someone else do the last 6km, so I imagine you could have someone else do the willingness test?? Not sure!

The willingness test is verrrrrry casual... All the dog needs to do is walk a few paces, turn around, walk a few more paces. Sit. Stay (even if they kinda stay). Come. That's it. It's all on lead and takes about 20 seconds.

That sounds promising, I could even get someone else to do the middle leg while I have a rest, LOL.

So a tight pair of bike pants make you hurt less afterwards? :(

I only have a cruddy Kmart bike that I think I have ridden twice in 5 years, don't think that will work, will it??

Yes! And you can wear other shorts or track pants on top if you don't like the "lycra lout look" : ))

Your bike should be fine. Just get a service on it from your bike shop.

Michael

Getting a bicycle serviced is so foreign to me... :o My girls have never ridden next to a bike, I think I'd have a lot of work to do!

And lycra look, no thanks :) I think I'd scare the other competitors away!

ETA: No underwear?! ummmmm, don't think I could get used to this one :p And now I'll be looking at everyone wondering if they're wearing underwear or not :)

Edited by RubyStar

ETA: No underwear?! ummmmm, don't think I could get used to this one :p And now I'll be looking at everyone wondering if they're wearing underwear or not :)

As someone who frequently runs into large groups of elderly lycra-clad cyclists at my local cafes, I can tell you - They're not!

But good on them anyway :o

So a tight pair of bike pants make you hurt less afterwards? :(

I only have a cruddy Kmart bike that I think I have ridden twice in 5 years, don't think that will work, will it??

:D RS - my Kmart one worked for me when I did ET with Kirra and Fergus 4 years ago - although the brakes did jam when I tipped it over in the sleet and mud (to avoid falling on Fergus whose vigorous shaking had caused the tip-over :( ) - luckily there was a spare bike and mine was quickly fixed.

And because of the sleet and freezing gale, the lycra shorts were well hidden under layers of rain gear.

I have bought a new bike this year - not expensive, but lovely - paddle grear shift - highly recommended :)

Just come back from buying the padded shorts!!!!!!!! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

In padded shorts I make an elephant look slim :) But the indignity of not wearing underwear :D :(:(:):) I think I might have to work up to.

Now trying to work out when I can sneak out of the house wearing the new padded shorts, this is a picture that should not be seen in public!!

PS OH has muttered they sell mountain bikes in Aldi for $50 don't they, so I am wondering if a really cheap Aldi mountain bike would do the job, because honestly I don't think I would ride it again for another 5 years until the next dog needs to do an ET.

I think the Aldi bike should be fine. If it only to be used for the ET and training for the ET, it should serve you well. At $50.00 it is probably cheaper than a service on your old bike.

M

Ummmmmmm did mention that I am now expecting him to wear a pair of bike shorts :):):cry::cry: as well and we will be going shopping for them later in the week. I think the comment was definately looking into divorcee :) :D :(:(

LOL!!!

And yes, you do if they are padded.

M

Well considering I have never ridden a bike in my life, didn't even have one as a kid, I would have to jog this.

Which would be a huge training effort to get to from my current state of serious unfitness but it would give me something to aim for which is a positive. (and I could avoid the whole lycra thing, which would be a blessing!)

Yes. You can change handlers. You can do the before and after willingness tests and your triathletes could run/cycle the dog in shifts or one do the whole course.

You could rent the other out as a handler to someone else too :)))))

M

ETA: No underwear?! ummmmm, don't think I could get used to this one :) And now I'll be looking at everyone wondering if they're wearing underwear or not :D

If you see cyclists on the road in lycra, trust me, they are not wearing undies!

M