Walking/exercising Dogs In The Hot Weather

shells

It appears summer has finally arrived here in the southern states.

So my question is what is the best way to safely exercise your dog in the warmer weather?

My 2 like to have a game of ball but even at 730pm it can still be quite warm - so I have had to take it off the menu (much to their disgust :laugh: )

Is there somewhere in your local area that offers swimming for dogs? Ie up here with have several facilities that you can take you dog to for a swim (one I go to is Canine Cubby), its fantastic exercise and great for them, and it cools them off at the same time. I first started taking Keira for her hip dysplaxia worked wonders but now I also take her because she loves to dive in a chase and chase a ball and it is good low impact exercise and is good for summer time. I am also taking Phoenix now to teach her to swim.

Otherwise do you have a pool, a nearby lake/dam or beach?

EDITED for spelling

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

We have had four days of over 36 degrees here. I take mine for a daily offleash bush walk but today have decided to give them a break. They run so hard that I worry they will pass out.

We have a pool but I can't convince them to swim in it, which is shame as it would be great for them as the summers are so hot here!

We have had four days of over 36 degrees here. I take mine for a daily offleash bush walk but today have decided to give them a break. They run so hard that I worry they will pass out.

We have a pool but I can't convince them to swim in it, which is shame as it would be great for them as the summers are so hot here!

Hi Korbin,

It took a while for me to get Keira into the swimming, ie she was always trying to get out and would at any opportunity but after a lot of treats whilst swimming and once she calmed down and could play ball she now LOVES it, absolutely LOVES it, I just throw a ball for her and she is in no coaxing needed.

Get whatever motivates your dog the most and use that to show them that the pool is fun.

Honestly I find it so rewarding to sit by the pool and throw the ball for Keira because you can see she just absolutely enjoys it, I wish I had a pool so I could do it with her everyday!

EDIT: I know some people are not comfortable "forcing" their dog to do something the reason I did was because she had the dodgy hips (BTW she stopped limping the day after her first swim!) but as I said well worth it when they really start to love it.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

I do not excercise my dogs in the heat if it is too hot for me it is too hot for them. I would never risk their safety in the heat for the sake of excercise. But I would say the very cool of the morning or late evening if you have to NEVER in the middle of the day. I seen a woman walking a staffy cross the other day around 28 degrees the poor thing was pooped and just layed down when ever she stopped on the cool concrete and in the shade.

I'm lucky - we have a pool at work so Lorp and I go swimming during lunch and then again at the end of my shift. If it's cooled down enough, we'll go for a walk after the sun is down, but on the hotter days it can still be 30 degrees then and he'd get way too hot doing that.

Hi Korbin,

It took a while for me to get Keira into the swimming, ie she was always trying to get out and would at any opportunity but after a lot of treats whilst swimming and once she calmed down and could play ball she now LOVES it, absolutely LOVES it, I just throw a ball for her and she is in no coaxing needed.

Get whatever motivates your dog the most and use that to show them that the pool is fun.

Honestly I find it so rewarding to sit by the pool and throw the ball for Keira because you can see she just absolutely enjoys it, I wish I had a pool so I could do it with her everyday!

EDIT: I know some people are not comfortable "forcing" their dog to do something the reason I did was because she had the dodgy hips (BTW she stopped limping the day after her first swim!) but as I said well worth it when they really start to love it.

Thanks for the info. I think that I'm going to put a bit more effort into a bit of pool work. It would do them a world of good.

Funny thing is that they love their clam shell. And Bell will often stick her whole head in her drinking water :D Yet they freak out over the pool :laugh:

Hi Korbin,

Thanks for the info. I think that I'm going to put a bit more effort into a bit of pool work. It would do them a world of good.

Funny thing is that they love their clam shell. And Bell will often stick her whole head in her drinking water :D Yet they freak out over the pool :laugh:

Its probably the depth of the pool they know its not a clam shell and that they are not going to be able to stand in it. Maybe start by having them stand on the steps and praise/treat them for that and then move on from there. As I said though worth the effort in the end because they just seem to be so happy once they are used to it.

If you wanted to and were willing to spend the money you can get life jackets for between $50 - $80. That is how I started Keira in a life jacket (see my sig that was her first time in the pool) and once they get comfortable and are used to the exercise involved you can stop using them. Be careful once you do get them swimming that you ease them out of the pool because they get "sea legs" and it takes them a little time to re-adjust to walking on land and taking their weight but only take a minute or two.

I'm lucky - we have a pool at work so Lorp and I go swimming during lunch and then again at the end of my shift. If it's cooled down enough, we'll go for a walk after the sun is down, but on the hotter days it can still be 30 degrees then and he'd get way too hot doing that.

Naw I am so jealous, I honestly wish I had the facilities to take Keira swimming everyday its just great fun, as it is it costs me $20 every time I take her so could get expensive taking her thei emore than once a week.

4am walks. No one else about, temp isnt too hot, really nice when the birds start waking up. Ofcourse it only works if you're a morning person.

Good on you Raz. Wish I could get up that early.

6.30am is very early for me. I tend to stay up late at night.

I took mine out for a walk and it was 28 degrees. I thought they would be ok but when we got home they drank water and one of them threw it all up. Thats when I realised it was too hot for them :laugh: . I like taking them to the beach. They tend not run as crazily there as when they are an offleash park. And there is water to play in. I find mine will follow me into the water. I bought a body board and my westie jumps on that - its too cute. So its going to have to be early morning and late evening walks for us - the beach is 40 minutes by car so not something I can do every day. I am finding more people mentioning the clam shells though - I might have to get one of those! I wonder where there are they he cheapest....

When it's really warm our dogs just miss out on going. They love their walks but are not the types of dogs to go hyper if they don't go.

A few days of them lazing around on the tiles under the air-con is not the end of the world.

Mine are the same, no way would I walk them in the heat!

They ususally spend the nights outside playing and zooming around the house, it seems to work for them.

No walks for my girl if it is hot, too hot for me too hot for her is the way I look at it. Today I did get up early to take her for a good walk and during the day she has been hosed down a few times and runs around after that getting a bit more exercise.

If it is too hot to walk her and my work won't let me walk when it is cool I will put her in the car and take her for a drive so she gets out, she loves the car at least I know she isn't getting too hot. On hot days when I'm at work I set the aircon on timer so the lounge room will stay cool for her, she can still go out if she wants to and if she gets too cool she can go to another room in the house.

Late night walks and swimming for my guys in this kind of heat. I am hoping to get them out for a little wander this evening, but it is still way too hot at the moment.

My lot are convinced the air conditioning is the place to be right now :D - just like me! LOL

Its not the end of the world if we miss a day or two with the walks - so on super hot days like today we all just chill out inside and watch videos or something :) In summer I'll walk them usually in the evening, I used to do the early morning walks but don't have time in the mornings now.