January 2011 - Photo A Day!

Ashanali

Yay, more bug photos. I love them. Putting a macro on my wish list!

Kirislin - spotted one of those in Thornbury a couple of years ago but haven't seen one since. Do you get many out your way?

MM - very dramatic shot!

Day 20 .... Is it a bird? Is it a plane? .... No, it's just a knucklehead chasing dragonflies

1162466247_NHY7X-L.jpg

I only see those little bees on that particular plant, no others.

Now, I'm interested in how you managed this shot, his head and shoulders are in sunlight but the rest of him is in shadow and you've still managed to get good exposure. How'd you manage that, you genius. If it was one of my whippets I would have completely blown the white highlights. Did you have to edit this much afterwards.

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kirislin, I discovered these little bees on my lavender plants last month (three of these bees)...at first I was seeing things. I became determined to get a photo..ask the kids...I was obsessed! They are fast, rarely settle and so small! These hyper little bees are hover feeders, unlike honey bees they use a proboscis and take pollen in flight 'hovering rather tan landing. That little blue bottom glows as the light fades! They have a higher pitch buzz more like a blowfly! (aw gawd...I was obsessed huh!) anyways the neighbours have seen me so much with the camera round my neck..Im the crazy poodle lady with the camera now!

post-25842-1295552354_thumb.jpg

Took 50 shots to get this...your pics are waaay more cuter!

Kirislin, I discovered these little bees on my lavender plants last month (three of these bees)...at first I was seeing things. I became determined to get a photo..ask the kids...I was obsessed! They are fast, rarely settle and so small! These hyper little bees are hover feeders, unlike honey bees they use a proboscis and take pollen in flight 'hovering rather tan landing. That little blue bottom glows as the light fades! They have a higher pitch buzz more like a blowfly! (aw gawd...I was obsessed huh!) anyways the neighbours have seen me so much with the camera round my neck..Im the crazy poodle lady with the camera now!

I think yours is much better! but thankyou. I will try again today with the macro, I had the 50 on yesterday. They are exactly as you describe zapping all over the place but they're cute little things aren't they. It's good to know you have them too, our native bees have taken a battering over the years with introduced bees, diseases, wasps and habitat destruction.

When Luci has a nurturing moment (rare) Rosie lays back and takes it

018: m_dol-1258.jpg

The dogs go missing when I set up...the only time they dont shadow me

019:m_dol-1248.jpg

Rosies favorite position last night, her reserved place in front of the fan

020:m_dol-1280.jpg

Day 20 - Tango and I walk along the Yarra River every morning about 7am....this was this morning...

What beautiful light :confused:

Cool shot :cry: Would we get these bees out west?

Rosies favorite position last night, her reserved place in front of the fan

Awww that is sweet, she has such a gorgeous face :mad

We're of to a vineyard for lunch today, OHs birthday and MIL still here! So you may get something other than a bug pic out of me today :eek:

well we might not have those bee's but here are some we do have :cry:

Day 21

IMG_4979.jpg

I know it's one photo a day, but I have been trying for days to get something flying, this is the best I got

so after all the swearing and cursing I need to show someone :confused:

IMG_4743.jpg

hey maybe we could start a bug thread :eek:

Frodosmum I share your pain...i know the frustration of bug stalking. :thumbsup:What is the id of the bottom bee????????? Nice shot!

I'm pretty sure it's a bumble bee. I dont think they're on the mainland, they're stowaways from Europe or the US I think.

yep it's a bumble bee..big fat things :thumbsup:

that sting..I know :D

I worry about the dogs with them as they are slow

Oh?! I thought they were harmless, they're so cute and fluffy looking, I foolishly thought they couldn't hurt.

Here's mine for the day, this poor cocky looks pretty sick. I dont think it will be around much longer. If I can catch it I will take it to Healesville Sanctuary they'd probably euthanase it but it's better than a slow death. :rofl:

5374992782_eec6dcd262_b.jpg

Day 21: Fail photo

oacd5l.jpg

Kirislin: Poor Cocky :mad

TD: That photo is magic :shrug:

Redangel: :) at Day 20, and we have those bees everywhere! Annoying things they are

MM: Wow! Love the colours!

Awesome photos everyone :)

Edited by dogfan