He Will Be Better Off

HugUrPup

I foster dogs and honestly, I can see quite clearly that some of them would be much better off in a different home - for many different reasons - it can be more space, people with more time, children, other pets - so many things and as much as I love some of them and have been tempted to keep them, I know they can do better than me and when the right home comes along, it's wonderful to witness.

I think you are doing the right thing, as hard as it is.

The pounds are full of dogs that have obviously been a mismatch with their owners. At least you are not going to do that to him.

i think you might feel a lot better if you ask can you have the option of being able to visit?

i know a friend had to rehome a very much loved horse and she was beside herself with grief, we made that suggestion and the KNOWING she can visit her has made such a difference to her.

she actually has never gone to her home yet, but did go to a show she was attending and has heaps of photos and is thrilled to see how happy her baby is with her new owner. has really relieved her worries.

I don't recommend visiting the dog until it's hard a chance to settle, say over 2 months. Otherwise you may confuse and/or distress the dog.

I got Penny & Mac from the daughters of the woman who rescued them from BYB's, tragically the rescue-woman was killed in a car accident. The daughters tried to keep these two (along with other dogs) that their mother had given homes to. Due to work commitments they really needed to re-home P & M, so I was lucky enough to get them.

I reckon that when we get dogs from other people that have trouble managing to keep them, that we hold them in trust for those previous owners and to give them special care and attention....sort-of the attitude that we are very lucky to have the chance to own them.

I think that the new owners of Ollie, Puggerup, will treat him 'special' as they would not have been able to have him unless you have made this (correct) decision.

Hope this makes sense :crossfingers:

i think you might feel a lot better if you ask can you have the option of being able to visit?

i know a friend had to rehome a very much loved horse and she was beside herself with grief, we made that suggestion and the KNOWING she can visit her has made such a difference to her.

she actually has never gone to her home yet, but did go to a show she was attending and has heaps of photos and is thrilled to see how happy her baby is with her new owner. has really relieved her worries.

I don't recommend visiting the dog until it's hard a chance to settle, say over 2 months. Otherwise you may confuse and/or distress the dog.

i didnt say do it. i said ask for the option... knowing you can is very helpful mentally

notice my friend did not.

she was told when they were going to a show and she attended the show.. n that was some 12 months later.. but the "knowing' she was welcome made so much difference to her mentally.

understand?

although come to think of it, her new owner did phone her once or twice and give her an update and think about 3 months after getting her sent her a photo.

it means so much to her. think little things like that might help pupperup cope?

surely thats not asking a lot is it?

sometimes, well oftentimes, i get the feeling theres an uncomfortable lot here that hate their own species.. face it her dog will probably be thrilled with his new home.. most dogs live for the moment and dont grieve for their owner,, thats why the likes of greyfrier's bobby was such an amazing dog.

but the sympathy for the person just doesnt exist for so many, sink the knife in seems to gve em some sort of high, thats how it comes across at times.

people have feelings too , surpise, suprise folks

can anyone give me an example of a dog that decided to kill itself?

think it was three farmers did in one week alone after losing yet another crop this time to floods instead of the previous 10 years of drought. yes, tragic they were so down they couldnt see the good left. deperession does that to people.

i have seen depressed dogs, worked with one for a year before he volantiarly hopped onto my lap. but he didnt neck himself he finally became a happy camper

Edited by asal

Thanks again everyone for your support, it is helping so much.

I have asked puggy puggy if I will be able to have updates etc.

I'm just waiting to hear back on all of the details.

I will keep everyone posted.

Today Ollie is enjoying eating a roo stick lol if it doesn't rain I will take him to the park too. ;)

Good luck puggerup. It takes courage to discuss such a difficult issue on a forum such as this one. As I said in a previous post, I have seen these sorts of re-homings work brilliantly - so all paws crossed here that it works really well for you and Ollie.

Best,

Westiemum

Good luck puggerup. It takes courage to discuss such a difficult issue on a forum such as this one. As I said in a previous post, I have seen these sorts of re-homings work brilliantly - so all paws crossed here that it works really well for you and Ollie.

Best,

Westiemum

Agree. Good Luck Puggerup.

I've a rescue terrier who lifted his leg in the house eight times in an hour (tiles, thank god ). He was promptly desexed and kept on a long lead for several weeks with me in the house to break the cycle. I would take him out after waking up, eating, drinking, before bed, through the night and so on with lots of praise when he did his business outside. It's only on the rare occasion now he does anything and it is usually my fault because I've left it too long and missed the signals (like really obvious ones, pacing at the door..poor sod). He really is quite brilliant now, the method might not work for some, but it did for him.

I had a dog when I was about 17 whom I adored, exercised, fed, trained.....but frustratingly I never had a connection with her like my Mother did with her. Very annoying because my Mother only saw her occasionally but there was this instant bond between them. Consequently I gave her up to my Mother :cheer: ... I have to say, my ego was a little dented from the experience of being the second pick of the dog (and I suspect my Mother :heart: ) but they were a match made in heaven. Your Ollie would be better off with his match made in heaven and vice a verse.

Good decision Pugger. As hard as it is, it is the best thing for all of you. By all means ask for updates, but I wouldn't visit with him... there's nothing more devstating I don't think than your dog all but ignoring you when you expect they are going to jump for joy to see you. Pugs move on very quickly. Give them love and food and you're forgotten in a falsh! :heart:

I am sure, if the foster carer is experienced, they will get him trained up. It is pointless him going straight into a new home as his issues will see him re-homed a again. He needs discipline and training by someone who can work around his pugbutt stubborness. You did well getting him this far.

*hugs* to you, I know how hard it will be for you all.

No beating yourself up allowed ok Pugger??

He will be fine, you're doing the right thing for him and your family. And you know that Anne will make sure everything is perfect for him as well. He'll be fine, and you will be too. :heart: