After Visiting The Beach...

Tokkie

Hi everyone, I found a really nice off leash beach about 15 min drive from my home... I love taking the dogs there for a run and swim, sometimes 3 or 4 times a week.

I was just wondering, is the salt water bad for their skin?

I don’t want to wash them every time they’ve been to the beach. I use Aloveen, but to wash them 3 time a week can’t be good for them??

Off topic ;)

For those that remember my problems with Ringo... he is doing great, I taught him to wear a muzzle when we go to the beach (he is the best dog ever and so easy to train, his recall is soooo good). The behaviourist told me it's harder to train me than Ringo, I stress too much when he meets new dogs and then he feels it and and and... ;)

With the muzzle on I am much more relaxed and he is GREAT!.... :laugh:

The last 2 weeks he only snapped at one dog (he had the muzzle on)... it was a Labrador puppy (4 times his size) that jumped all over him and would not back off, Ringo was on lead.

(It WAS a beautiful Labrador puppy... ;) ... ;) )

I don't wash my dogs after they go to the beach. They rarely get wet above their tummies, but I just let them go and brush the sand out later on. Doesn't seem to do them any harm. :thumbsup: We go once a week in the summer, usually.

I rinse them thoroughly after being at the beach. They get washed with shampoo if they've been swimming in chlorine though.

ETA: My dogs get thoroughly soaked at the beach :thumbsup:

Edited by Mim

3 of mine swim regularly, 1 as part of therapy for her legs, the other one can't be kept out of water. They all swim in the ocean av 4 x a week in summer, and throughout winter/autumn at least twice. :thumbsup: No skin issues at all, and Carl is kind of sensitive with his. Having a short coat also helps!

Guest Willow

nope...we go every day and they get sandy & wet...I just towel them off & brush the sand off when they are dry.

On holidays, I took mine to the beach to rinse off the mud from swimming in puddles :thumbsup:

I did find that my long haired girl got really stinky from the beach (kind of a mixture of fish and sand, gross) so I did give her a bath.

The saltwater is only bad if they drink it. (But I really hope you know that Lol)

But yeah, Abbey hasn't died from being in saltwater (she hates water) so I don't think yours will either :thumbsup:

Edited by dogfan

I rinse my dog off after a morning at the beach - I use the tap under the shower that's there - usually hook a hose attachment and a cheap hose-shower to it. I hate the way salt water feels in my hair - sort of um damp and abrasive, and I'm not real fond of it on my dog either. And every now and again she finds something extremely stinky and rotten to roll in. I find a rinse is usually sufficient and if I don't use shampoo or detergent - I'm not going to remove her natural skin oils.

I only get the shampoo out (at home) if I can't get the stink off.

The saltwater is only bad if they drink it. (But I really hope you know that Lol)

But yeah, Abbey hasn't died from being in saltwater (she hates water) so I don't think yours will either :D

LOL....no they don't drink the water. :D

Edit: Mrs Rusty Bucket, I think thats why I thought they need a wash, because I hate the salt water in my hair. :thumbsup:

Edited by Tokkie

Erik tried drinking the water once. Then he went 10m down the beach and tried again. Then he went 20m down the beach and tried again. Then he tried a puddle of sea water on the sand a couple of metres from the ocean. He's a wee bit optimistic. I thought he must have been hugely thirsty, but he didn't drink much tap water when I offered it. :thumbsup: That's my Erik. Always gathering information. Yes, the water is salty everywhere on the beach.

Erik tried drinking the water once. Then he went 10m down the beach and tried again. Then he went 20m down the beach and tried again. Then he tried a puddle of sea water on the sand a couple of metres from the ocean. He's a wee bit optimistic. I thought he must have been hugely thirsty, but he didn't drink much tap water when I offered it. :thumbsup: That's my Erik. Always gathering information. Yes, the water is salty everywhere on the beach.

Thats wat Nandi did when I took her to the beach the first time.... :D

She does drink a lot of water at the beach though, I always take clean water for her to drink.

Frosty sticks her whole head underwater and blows bubbles. EEEK.

She tastes it and won't drink it. She will sometimes drink some fresh water after the beach if I hose her face down enough first, and then she drinks straight out of the tap - cos that's safe...

Tokkie, whether you rinse or not will depend how much you like the salty feel on your dog. One guy that walks at our oval takes his dog to the beach and doesn't rinse because the salt water helps kill the fungal skin infections she has.

We wash our dogs after swimming at the beach which is hard work but to see them run freely and so happily makes it worthwhile.

After swimming at the beach we all want to get the sand out of our creases :laugh: and rinse off any icky residue so I do the same for my dogs.

If I lived by the beach I would at least hose them off.

I hose mine off with luke-warm water afterwards, mostly we go to the sandy part of the beach but there is also mangroves and muddy sand that they like to roll in, I let them as the just LOVE it :laugh: takes ab it of brushing and hosing to get the sand/dirt out though (my guys never really are WHITE!)