Can You Crate Train A One-year-old?

stuchgirl

Hi Everyone,

I know it's my own stupid fault so no need to say it BUT I have let my one year old Weim pretty much sleep wherever she wants for her life so far. Usually she goes to sleep in the loungeroom in her bed but often she will come into our room at 3am and end up sleeping on the end of our bed. I know I shouldn't have let it happen EVER but at 3am I never really had the energy to stop her.... Now I'm paying the price! :hug:

I mostly want to crate train her so that we can take her (and the crate) back to the in-laws etc and so that when we eventually leave her at a kennel for an extended holiday we won't have so much trouble..

She already has a crate and likes going in it but as SOON as that door is closed on her she lets out little whimpers every 20 seconds... very annoying. She doesn't seem distressed or try to paw at the door or anything but she WILL NOT settle, even after an hour of ignoring her. Thoughts? Ideas? Any help much appreciated! :hug:

I think you can train any dog anything (within it's physical limits) at any age. You can teach an old dog new tricks!!!

I would suggest just start at the start. Good associations, things to keep her occupied while she's in there with the door closed (bone, Kong, etc, etc), start with very short periods of time and then build it up, having the crate in a location near you so she doesn't feel totally isolated. I think the fact that she already likes going in is a big bonus! Just don't assume that she's older so you can skip steps etc, pretend like you are starting from scratch with a brand new puppy and think about how you would go about it then - do the same thing here!!

Our Husky is 10 months and we only got a crate about two months ago. She was happy to go in it from the start, though the first couple of times we shut it she wasn't quite so happy and whined a bit. I gave her treats in there (chews and bones) as well as toys and that helped heaps. We have been extremely lucky with how well she took to it, though.

:hug: Thanks guys, it's nice to see that there is some hope!

That's great advice PME, I was probably going to try to speed up the process but you're right, I should treat her just like I would a puppy...

Will keep you updated on how I go!

Yes, very possible.

IME & O it is more about the owner/trainer than the dog and how you deal with tany possible resistance.

I have successfully and easily crate trained several breeds of dogs during adulthood, even to soft dog crates, with no dramas, all large breeds.

go for it and good luck. :hug:

Edited by dyzney

Yes, very possible.

IME & O it is more about the owner/trainer than the dog and how you deal with tany possible resistance.

I have successfully and easily crate trained several breeds of dogs during adulthood, even to soft dog, with no dramas, all large breeds.

go for it and good luck. :confused:

Do you think it's better for me to have her/crate in my bedroom? Or put it out in the loungeroom? Currently it's in my bedroom and whenever I go in there to read or get ready to go out she puts herself in it.. but as soon as I close the door......! Sooky sooky noises...

She's a very vocal dog normally, which is a trait I love about Weims... but not when I'm sleeping! :confused:

Very possible, a member of my obedience club trained her 9 y/o poodle to like his crate, it took a while but he now accepts being in it for extended periods.

Don't lock her in for the time being, leave the door open, feed her in the crate. After a week or so lock the door while she's eating & open it b4 she's finished. Eventually she will get to like being locked in.

My BC was about 18 months old when I decided to crate train her. It was the best thing I ever did, cause not only does she have her own space at home (I have a cover for the crate), but she sleeps in it when we go visiting, camping or to dog trials. I used Susan Garret's Crate Games DVD & followed that. Also I reward her every time she goes in & again when I shut the door.

Yes, very possible.

I have successfully and easily crate trained several breeds of dogs during adulthood, even to soft dog, with no dramas, all large breeds.

go for it and good luck. :confused:

Do you think it's better for me to have her/crate in my bedroom? Or put it out in the loungeroom? Currently it's in my bedroom and whenever I go in there to read or get ready to go out she puts herself in it.. but as soon as I close the door......! Sooky sooky noises...

She's a very vocal dog normally, which is a trait I love about Weims... but not when I'm sleeping! :confused:

Personally if I was you, I would be doing short spurts during the day, inside, semi supervised, but totally and I mean totally ignoring the noise. Ensure she is safe and secure and then let her whinge it out... others may disagree. She is trying to see if her whinging will win you over and it is super important to not let realise she can push your buttons.

Reward the quiet and restful behaviour, ignore everything else.

When it comes to over night, I would start in your bedroom, ensuites are good as they are cooler for this warm time of year.

The comfort of her hearing you talking amongst yourselves and breathing is more than enough comfort for a dog of her age.

Be prepared. Set yourself up for a win, do not start until you have prepared everyone in the household for a possible noisy couple of nights and warn and suck up to your neighbours also. This way if she gets noisy you will be less inclined to give in when you know everyone is expecting the worst.

Be prepared to lose some sleep, but it will pay off in the long run.

Just my opinion.

You will find many will have other ideas.

I have never been one for use of open crates... until I know the dog is fully house and crate trained.

They are locked in from day one and taught how to be comfortable and confident in their own company from day one also. As I only use soft crates, this is an important thing to me, but will not be so important to others.

Edited by dyzney

showdog- its a collapsable metal crate so I am hoping to eventually be able to put her in it for long trips (4hrs drive to family-in-law) in the back of our suv. at the moment she rides quite happily on the back seat to the beach etc just with a seat protector/hammock thing.

dyzney- lots of good advice there. i am FINE with letting her whine it out. she has a VERY SPOILT existence as it is so i am she will get over it! so true to 'set yourself up for a win'. i MUST get the OH on board before we even attempt this as otherwise someone 'cracking' will let down the whole thing.

will start the day time sessions this weekend (mixture of locked and unlocked) and work up to the big overnighter! thanks everyone! :laugh:

OK just a quick update...

I have been going VERY slowly with the training. Basically at this stage just giving her a treat whenever she enters her crate and putting toys in there to encourage her. At this stage I am not shutting the door (as I feel I haven't got the time or willpower to start yet) and there has been a couple of times over the past week when I couldn't find her only to eventually find her tucked up sleeping in her crate!!

Having said that she is VERY SMART and often when I am around in my room she puts herself in her crate and licks her lips in anticipation of a treat! :laugh: Such a sneaky little girl!

I think I will move up to the short bursts of door shut times this weekend...

Such a sneaky little girl!

Why is this sneaky? She is doing what you are training her to - enter the crate and receive a treat.She is learning !

Just make sure the crate is big enough! Can she comfortably sleep stretched out on her side,or curled around?Can she sit up without her head touching the roof?

Such a sneaky little girl!

Why is this sneaky? She is doing what you are training her to - enter the crate and receive a treat.She is learning !

Just make sure the crate is big enough! Can she comfortably sleep stretched out on her side,or curled around?Can she sit up without her head touching the roof?

No you're right, she is learning. It's just so funny to see her smack her lips as soon as she enters!

The crate is nice and big, she doesn't have a huge amount of room sitting up (prob just about touching head) but can sleep reasonably stretched out (albeit not like when she's on the end of my bed!). Mostly she curls in it though.. Seems comfortable enough to me??!

Seems comfortable enough to me??!

I don't use crates ... but would think that if a dog cannot stretch out-/sit up /whatever .. for hours .. then it wouldn't be a very restful night...a bit like us trying to sleep comfortably in a bus seat .

If it is a warm night.. all our dogs sleep on their sides.. with legs stretched out - this being the coolest position ... they would need a pretty wide crate to sleep like this .

Hoe does your girl sleep now - on your bed/sofa? Can she do the same in her crate ?

:laugh: this thread reminded me of all these great PHOTOS

Edited by persephone

:laugh: Great photos, thanks for the link!

I guess because it's so hot at the moment she does currently stretch right out when sleeping... which maybe she can't do in her crate. Good point. I might have to consider upgrading the size. She currently sleeps in the loungeroom on another bed but the main reason for me wanting to crate her is because a) when she is restless she comes in to bother me and b) she is wanting to go out to toilet during the night even though I KNOW she can hold it and doesnt really need to. It's mostly become a problem since summer arrived. In winter who would want to do a midnight stroll?

Congratulations!!! Progress is being made!! Isn't it so exciting when they just start taking themselves off to their crate and hang out there waiting for you to see how clever they are. Kenzie has her crate in the lounge room where I can see her all the time and she often runs in from the backyard straight to her crate and then sits there looking at me as if to say "see how good and clever I am"!!!

Loved the photos!! Have to say I have done the crawl into the crate a couple of times (to get out something that is an "outside only" thing), but certainly haven't spent time in there with her!! Usually it's one of the cats I find in there curled up with her!

We very recently crate trained our 2 year old tibbie so he can be in our air conditioned room on hot nights (he is not allowed in the bedrooms otherwise). Our dog is used to having access to most of the downstairs as well as the landing at the top of the stairs. I was very worried that he would not take to being contained (and he can be very stubborn) but after the initial hiccup, he adjusted very quickly and sleeps quietly (other than the snoring!) in his crate until we let him out in the morning.

What made a difference for us was the size of the crate. I bought one of those extra large soft crates from 'Top Buy' after reading that fabulous thread posted on DOL about how cheap these crates were. I thought I had gone overboard when the crate arrived (it was huge and our dog is a small one) but it has worked out really well. The large size meant he could move around freely in the crate and I was able to put his favourite donut bed and soft toys in along with a bowl of water and treats to chew on. I left the door open initially and let him find his way there on his own. Once I saw him lying comfortably inside, I closed the door. Our children were told the crate was off limits to them at all times. He did bark on and off the first time but he stopped when I ignored the barking.

When he was quiet for a while, I let him out and gave him a treat and lots of praises. He was fine from then onwards.

Good luck with the crate training. It has worked for us and has made it so much easier to ask friends to look after him when we are on holidays as they know that they can put our dog in his crate at night so he is not wandering around their house when they are sleeping. I also feel better that they can keep him safe in his crate if there are young children about who may not be familiar with dogs.