How Has Dol Changed Your Ownership Of Dogs?

poodlefan

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I discovered DOL forums whilst researching for our new pup. I had never trained a dog past "sit" "stay" (meaning whilst I walked inside!) loose leash walking and "down" ie don't jump. This forum opened my eyes to how much more there is to dog ownership than just having a dog as a part of the family. I joined a dog club with our pup and have commenced obedience trialling, and am on the waiting list to join agility, after being inspired by so many on here.

I now feed premium quality kibble mixed with BARF, rather than what was on special at the supermarket, and have allowed my dog crazy persona to have free rein!! My OH doesn't understand where it's all come from, but it was lurking there all along.

I love DOL. Thanks Troy.

I don't post heaps and have only been on here a year, but:

- found my SBT boy on the puppy pages :thumbsup:

- discovered that there is more dog food in this world than what exists on supermarket shelves

- bought lots of stuff for SBT boy based on ideas on here (arrived today are ruffwear: a lifejacket and a backpack) never would have thought to buy stuff like this before!

- learnt a lot about ailments affecting SBT's

- got help with identifying and managing my SBT boys food allergy

- fell in love with frenchies... and desperatly want one

Note related to my dog ownership but...

- made other half stop asking me what I'm doing on the computer coz now I'm always on this forum

- become stangely addicted to reading threads that turn into flaming :laugh:

I :) DOL

Edited by Polgara's Shadow

it's shown me that what I feel for my dogs is not 'weird' - well not to other DOLers anyway. It's also moved me when I've heard of cruelness and cheered me up when that unwanted dog has found a home..yep, really given me a sense of belonging where my animals are concerned. I feel like I'm part of a wonderful secret..shared only by other DOlers.

Thanks

I don't post heaps and have only been on here a year, but:

- found my SBT boy on the puppy pages :D

- discovered that there is more dog food in this world than what exists on supermarket shelves

- bought lots of stuff for SBT boy based on ideas on here (arrived today are ruffwear: a lifejacket and a backpack) never would have thought to buy stuff like this before!

- learnt a lot about ailments affecting SBT's

- got help with identifying and managing my SBT boys food allergy

- fell in love with frenchies... and desperatly want one

Note related to my dog ownership but...

- made other half stop asking me what I'm doing on the computer coz now I'm always on this forum

- become stangely addicted to reading threads that turn into flaming :rolleyes:

I :thumbsup: DOL

Ruffwear life jackets rock!

beachdarcy.jpg

When you have a poodle that swims like a brick :laugh: they are great for your blood pressure. :laugh:

I have been here almost 4 years now and have almost reached my 10,000th post! :laugh:

How has DOL affected my life?

Well, housework has become a rare event :rolleyes: I watch less TV (almost zilch) and I spend a lot more money than ever before! :laugh:

I found out about Registered breeders - had never heard of them before and didn't even know they existed!

Have made some wonderful friends from DOL and have learnt lots about dog behaviour. Fascinating stuff! :D

Also learnt that dogs don't need to have a bowl of ice cream after dinner every night :laugh: The things you do ......

The best thing about DOL is that you know dogs all over Australaia and beyond will all benefit somehow from this wonderful website and forum that is jam packed full of interesting and knowledgable members. :thumbsup:

Almost 7 years for me as well...

I learned A LOT about dog training and behaviours.

Met A LOT of wonderful people, some became my closest friends.

Added 3 dogs to my household and said a sad good bye to one.

Titled one of the dogs in the show ring and did ET with her.

Competed in obedience.

Got my own prefix and started breeding.

Nice post Poodlefan :D

I've learnt lots of tips and handy hints from reading other people's posts. Anything from training to what to use of flystrike. People are happy to share information which is really nice.

Even when I don't agree with some things, it is always interesting to hear other people's points of views to sometimes get a different perspective..

oh and following links to dog products that I never knew existed prior.

beachdarcy.jpg

When you have a poodle that swims like a brick :thumbsup: they are great for your blood pressure. :rolleyes:

:D i totally understand. I have a dog that suddenly decides he doesn't want to swim anymore and just stops (yes, he often decides he doesn't want to swim anymore when he is still in the water!).. if he wasn't wearing a life jacket, he will sink.

But Ruffwear stuff are awesome :laugh:

Edited by CW EW

Well, I came here having just bought a byb puppy...

Do I have to describe how much of an eye-opener this site was?

Let's see...

I have been learning (it's been about 3 years) about registered breeders/rescue.

I have learnt about how to buy a dog, what health testing is all about, what to watch out for, ethical issues.

I have also found the information on breeds fascinating. I find researching for breeds a bit daunting, but I know I have some great resources here to start (or should I say continue) my research about my future dogs. And I've got a long time to do it in.

Products - you search for something on here you can usually find some reviews. Or something just catches your eye.

Nutrition! It's not like I got a nutrition sheet from my breeder. DOL has given me the knowledge and confidence to feed my dog well and the tools to be able to make sound decisions.

I have learnt a ridiculous amount about dog behaviour and I cannot begin to express how much I needed this knowledge for my girl. And I continue learning all the time. Same with training...

An offshoot of this is the insane number of dog books I have that I just love. Although I always have some sort of fiction book I'm reading, I am always reading some new dog book too, or rereading an old one. :D

I have used the health section to read about others' experiences, because *touch wood* I haven't had to face a lot on the health front. I have learnt about many health issues.

I feel that I have at my disposal a huge amount of information here on DOL and it's a great starting point for research.

So, you know, not much... :thumbsup:

Well - DOL has done the following for me:

I've met heaps of great people who are just as obsessed about their dogs as me :laugh:

I've learnt lots about the Australian Shepherd - and everyday I continue to research them!!

Discovered all there is to do with dogs out there!

Changed my training style (for obedience etc) completely!!

I Spend sooo much time on here!!!!

I can't wait to add another aussie to my little family

Really want a show aussie for my next dog!!

I just love DOL!!!! :o:thumbsup:

The short time I've been here, I have learnt alot and still learning. I have often cracked up laughing from the quick witted humor too. Also been touched, almost in tears from some of the stories here. This site is very denifical

edited to add that DOL has helped me become more aware of my dogs needs :laugh:

Edited by Fleuri

DOL has helped me become the best pet owner I can be - and I'm always learning ways that I can improve. Has guided and supported me through cruciate surgeries and Cushings disease, eye infections and behavioural issues... DOL also ignited my passion to adopt a dog and find out more about rescue. I've also made some good friends on DOL, some of whom I count as my closest personal friends. We've ridden highs and lows with people we barely know, we've cried with them, laughed with them, rejoiced with them, sympathised with them. We've read about the best and worst of human behaviour towards animals - and inspired us to want to do something about it. I've also had many people ride those highs and lows with my own problems, given suggestion or just cared - and that has been invaluable.

All this amongst people who get that I am passionate about my dogs, and understand me.

So yes, DOL has been a Dog-send. It's hasn't just made me a better dog owner, it's also helped make me a better person.

I have only been lurking for a couple of months and posting in the last 2 weeks, but DOL has really had a big impact on my life in terms of my dog. I am more aware of his needs and how to assist him in becoming a balanced and happy dog.

Training, rescue, breeding, health issues, different breeds, legislation are some of this stuff in which my brain has happily devoured new information and appreciated seeing different points of opinion on certain things. I am loving making friends on the 'breed' section of the forum and watching/hearing the stories of a variety of dogs grow and develop.

I have definately become aware of byb'ers, puppy mills, RSPCA, irresponsible breeders and the unfortunate stereotyping of certain breeds.

I have been bitten by the doggy bug and are currently in the process of expanding our family with a breed I hadn't really heard much about. In the future I would like to participate in the rescues (Have to move out of home first!) and maybe even show.

THANK YOU DOL!

I was lucky enough to handle a DOLer's dog in some retrieving trials after a few training sessions. That same DOLer is now a great friend and, not only introduced me to my pup's breeder, but is helping me train her in retrieving! Apart from that it's been great to draw on the knowledge and support of the trialling people with my Spotted Devil. :laugh:

Great post PF !!

What has DOL given me? Way way way much more than I ever thought possible.

A huge amount of information & knowledge, but also the realisation that I really don't know enough & I have lots to learn.

An attitude change. I was raised to believe that all 'breeders' were bad, and were only concerned with how dogs looked, not how they lived. I am now a huge advocate for people choosing a pure breed from a reputable breeder.

I have always been against pet shops & puppy farms. I am now passionately against them.

My boy Fleming. If it weren't for DOL I wouldn't have been a foster carer and wouldn't have ended up with a gorgeous, character filled hairy who has been through hell but shows me every day that it was worth going through the hard bits

A life epiphany - I want to spend the rest of my life working with dogs and intend to run a rescue group

But most of all DOL has given me a community. I've conversed with people on threads, I've spoken to people on the phone, I've swapped PMs with others, and some of them I've even met in real life.

I've made some fantastic, life-long friends, and I have had my faith in people reaffirmed when complete strangers have offered to come & walk my dogs now I need some help.

DOL has changed my life.

beachdarcy.jpg

When you have a poodle that swims like a brick :cry: they are great for your blood pressure. :mad

:eek: i totally understand. I have a dog that suddenly decides he doesn't want to swim anymore and just stops (yes, he often decides he doesn't want to swim anymore when he is still in the water!).. if he wasn't wearing a life jacket, he will sink.

But Ruffwear stuff are awesome :(

We went swimming with his lifejacket last night, gave him the confidence to go out deeper :confused:

I didn't get a picture of lifejacket yesterday but I got a couple of the backpack. This is one of him wondering what on earth I'm doing to him.

Vulcanbackpack3.jpg

Edited by Polgara's Shadow