Bitch Not Standing

Tansy

After some opinions on a bitch I was hoping to mate on this season. Bitch is a maiden and is on day 14, stud dog is a very experienced stud who is normally pretty good at picking their fertile periods.

The dog and the bitch live together, and they haven't been separated. She is showing no signs whatsoever of wanting to be mated, or even coming close to being ready. She is not tarting with him, and not even tarting with my other bitches. He will go up to her and have a bit of a sniff, and I have caught him 'romancing' her a couple of times, but she shuts him down, and he gives up easily.

I will get her prog tested, but can't do it until tomorrow (Monday), and it normally takes 48 hours to get a result (we are in a country area), so really, it is a bit useless. She'll be day 17 (Wednesday) when I get the results.

I've been thinking that she is just one that is coming in late, but of course as the days tick by I'm starting to get a little more anxious. I was speaking to a long time breeder yesterday who suggested that I might need to hold the girl and force the situation. I always hold girls anyway, but more just to steady them and make sure they don't get a fright. Just wondering if anyone has come across this situation where you needed to be a bit more forceful with the mating? I've never had a girl who wasn't a tart, so it is a bit strange to me.

This dog is not a fan of being collected, so I'd prefer not to have to resort to an AI.

After some opinions on a bitch I was hoping to mate on this season. Bitch is a maiden and is on day 14, stud dog is a very experienced stud who is normally pretty good at picking their fertile periods.

The dog and the bitch live together, and they haven't been separated. She is showing no signs whatsoever of wanting to be mated, or even coming close to being ready. She is not tarting with him, and not even tarting with my other bitches. He will go up to her and have a bit of a sniff, and I have caught him 'romancing' her a couple of times, but she shuts him down, and he gives up easily.

I will get her prog tested, but can't do it until tomorrow (Monday), and it normally takes 48 hours to get a result (we are in a country area), so really, it is a bit useless. She'll be day 17 (Wednesday) when I get the results.

I've been thinking that she is just one that is coming in late, but of course as the days tick by I'm starting to get a little more anxious. I was speaking to a long time breeder yesterday who suggested that I might need to hold the girl and force the situation. I always hold girls anyway, but more just to steady them and make sure they don't get a fright. Just wondering if anyone has come across this situation where you needed to be a bit more forceful with the mating? I've never had a girl who wasn't a tart, so it is a bit strange to me.

This dog is not a fan of being collected, so I'd prefer not to have to resort to an AI.

Flare your nostrils and squueze the bulb of your nose - notice how it feels.

Then pinch the mid section of your top lip.

Notice the difference

If the vulva doesnt feel like your top lip its not time.

Separate them all day and then feed them raw chicken wings late afternoon. Then put them back together.

What you may be seeing is one of two things either she isnt ready or they have had sex really early morning before you see it or over night.

Bitch is not standing as she is not ready.

Could he have already mated her when you weren't there ? Or do you seperate them when going out ?

Not advisable to hold her & force. Stressful & scary for her & may put her off for the future & may be uncomfortable for him too. He also may not want to mate her. There would not be puppies if timing is wrong anyway.

If she was ready he would be persistent & keep trying even if useless.

Prog test is worth doing. I used to have a bitch who would not let the stud near her until at least day 19 then she was fine.

Not the usual way but it is possible.

Separation does help, makes them both keener. I only run my dog/bitch together after two ties. Quite often the dog shows no interest in the bitch while Im there once they are running together. Edited to say that I have one bitch who screams blue bloody murder regardless if she is ready or not, I have to hold her every time because when she screams my dog just leaves her alone lol, he obviously doesn't like the screaming.

Edited by dunnwarren

I have had one not ready until day 26. We got matings days 26,27, 28 and she had 7 puppies. They can be ready any time from day 3 up to day 30 so don't panic.

If you have been running them together they may have already mated so you won't know when she is due. She may still be several days off being ready or she may not be ovulating. None of these problems will be resolved by a forced mating. I would get the prog test done to see if she has ovulated, separate them and try them together early morning and late at night under supervision.

Hi

I have had a bitch that used to be mated on day 28, I mated her 3 times on day 28 and had 1st litter 12 puppies, 2nd litter 10 puppies, 3rd litter 8 puppies.

A bitch in the same garden with her had to be mated on days 7 and 9, the results were always smaller litters never bigger than 6.

But I think that day 12 - 14 is a guide only, I have known numerous breeders who will tell you that their bitch is mated on different days.

Good luck, possibly a short seperation might be the trick to get them more aroused.

Thanks for the replies all. They have been separated when I'm not around (which isn't very often), so I'm pretty confident he hasn't managed a quickie when I wasn't watching!

I've never had a girl not stand, so I really didn't feel comfortable doing a forced mating, but just thought I'd ask in case this was something I just hadn't come across before. I wasn't even bothered by how many days she was until this older breeder suggested I needed to force the mating, and it started to get me thinking I was missing her. She's only a young bitch and it's not the worst thing in the world if she did miss.

He is seeming a bit keener on her today, but not crazy, wild eyed, stud dog keener, so I think there could be a couple of days yet to go. I'm crating one or both at the moment, and we will see what the next few days bring.

I had mated, helped the mating twice with a Pug bitch for her first and second time...no puppies....the third time now 3 years old we put her with the dog and left them together, I saw nothing happen, no interest by either party....but she was pregnant and had 4 puppies. Either that or prog test with a vet that knows how to read the number whether n/mol or ng. :D

One of our bitches mates once and once only and that is on day 19 but she is also very picky about who she will mate and won't go to any dog except for her chosen one :D We've never had such a PIA before but so far she has had two litters of four pups.

I had a bitch that wouldnt mate with a dog that she "lived" with. Only an outsider! :) :D

ARGH!!! Don't tell me that :D

Day 17, he is pretty keen, she just goes flat on her back. She will flirt a bit with the other girls, so maybe, maybe it's STILL too early. Didn't bother with the prog test, as I thought I would just trust his instincts, now I'm kicking myself.

I really want to put her to this dog (you know, one of those culminations of a couple of generations to get to this point), and he doesn't even have any sons out there as he has produced a large amount of bitch puppies (not normally something I'd be complaining about.....).

Think I'd be doing some fresh AI's from today for a couple of days. Then if they don't have a natural mating, you have some hope.

I probably would have gone with the prog test whey you first mentioned it, at least it would have told you if she'd already ovulated and a 2nd one would have told you if she was climbing.

Sometimes the more we want a particular mating, the harder they make us work for it !

fifi

edited to add stuff.

Edited by fifi