Shilo Is Seriously Sick. Last Update.

On Thursday night my affie girl didn't seem her usual self just a little quieter and slower than usual, Friday morning she was a little stiff (we had seen her slip on the floor a day or two before) so I gave her breaky and a Rimadyl. By the afternoon she had gone down hill and screamed when we touched her.

Took her to the vets and they couldn't find much, her temp was slightly elevated so she was given a tamagesic injection and sent home with Tramadol. At home she became almost comatosed with no response at all, after a couple of hours we started to get a response.

At 9.30pm she started whimpering it went on til just after 6.00am.

Saturday she woke up and could barely move, called the vet and they said to continue with the Rimadyl as well as the tramadol to help with any pain or inflamation. All day she lay in the same spot but quiet. Gave her the tramadol at about 8.30pm, she was very unresponsive again and her tongue was hanging out the side of her mouth. I gave her water by syringe (as I had already been doing) and put her to bed.

This morning she woke up and very slowly went out to the toilet, stopped to have a drink but instead just hung her head over the water bowl. She went and laid on her bed and strated the whimpering again.

We rushed her back to work,her temp was 39.9, she is dehydrated so was put on fluids, she has been given Baytril for possible infection, Rimadyl injection, more Tramadol by mouth, she has had a full blood work done (we will have the results tomorrow morning), she had her eosophogus/throat xrayed for a possible blockage this afternoon, she will be having chest, neck, spinal and abdominal xrays tomorrow.

We are sure she has damaged her spine or neck when she slipped, she is very stiff and holding her head low but when the vets have examined her they have got no pain response and we haven't seen any improvement on the medication.

She has refused to eat or drink since friday morning but hasn't had any vomiting or runny poo so we don't think she has eaten anything bad.

She has no swellings anywhere so we don't think she has been bitten by anything.

Symptoms don' seem to be adding up, she is being tested for addison's just incase and today the vet mentioned a disease called myasthenia gravis but this is quite rare.

Sorry for the long post but we are quite worried we will lose her and at the moment it's not looking good. If anyone has any ideas about her symptoms please let me know.

Edited by NicoleL

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought the same thing, I actually booked her in to see a chiro tomorrow but that was before everything escalated. Hopefully I can change her appointment for later in the week. Biggest problem is not being able to come off the drip until she will drinkon her own.

Off topic I hope we can still catch up with my standard girl, I should have recovered well enough from my surgery in a couple of weeks.

I don't think it is a reaction to the Rimadyl, she only ended up getting one dose (on Friday morning) because she wouldn't eat and I was too worried about giving it to her on an empty stomach. Sorry didn't say that in the original post it was too late and I couldn't think clearly.

I spoke with the vets this morning and there is no improvement, part of the bloods have come in and there is abnormalities but nothing conclusive they need to see the rest for a diagnosis. I think something might be goingon with her liver.

I rang the chiro to cancel her appointment and askedabout coming to my work to treat her and he wasn't too keen.

I have learnt that, after having similar problems and spending alot on xrays only to find out nothing, that xrays dont show nerves. The symptoms sound like a reaction to the pain caused by muscle spasm as a result of protecting pinched nerves. I think you were on the right track getting a chiro as long as you have a very good one who can look at your dog, tell you what is wrong by looking at your dogs composition/gait, tell you how to fix it and that they've dont it before and have proof of their successes. I took a while to find a good one and now I have a mobile chiro who comes to my house when I need and my boy benefits tremendously....several vets could not figure out what was wrong with my dog either!

My first thought was MENINGITIS. Can't remember who, but someone on here posted about their dog with it a while ago.... perhaps suggest it to the vet?

I did some looking, and found :

LINK

I hope they discover a cause , and can get her on the road to recovery soon.

Edited by persephone

Will be interesting to see what the bloodwork shows tomorrow - could suggest something like meningitis, or discospondylitis, or another infectious etiology?

Hope it's nothing serious. Checking for ticks is a good idea.

I'd be suprised if it was something as simple as a muscle spasm or tear with a temperature of nearly 40, but could be dead wrong, & seeing a good chiro won't hurt.

Update on Shilo, she is home and doing well, still a little weak but she is eating and drinking and back to behaving like her normal self.

Bloods didn't show anything significant, her chest xray showed a slightly enlarged heart but but the vets don't think it's bad enough to cause a problem.

At the moment we have no answers the only the that has helped her improve is cortisone, the vets don't know why.

She is also still on Baytril just incase there is infection somewhere.

She is booked to see the chiro on Monday.

I was thinking meningitis especially since the symptoms seemed to match but the vets didn't tink so.

Thanks for all the well wishes we are very happy she is ok, hopefully she doesn't have any more episodes.

Just when I thought things were going well Shilo has lapsed and ended up back at the vet this morning. Her temp went up to 40.4 she is still on Baytril, the cortisone dose has been nearly tripled, they have also started her on antirobe and valium.

There is definately something going on with her neck hopefully the chiro will help on Monday.