Why Don't You Holiday With Your Dog?

dee lee

I have read many times how people "can't" take their dogs on holidays, so put them in kennels or don't take holidays at all.

Personally I have had no trouble finding pet friendly holiday places. The one I stayed at recently was a pet owners dream!

Why don't you take your dogs?

Is it the cost? Health issues?

I'm not judging, I just love taking my dog & feel there must be some good reasons why people wouldn't do it.

:laugh:

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good timing with this topic Dee! OH has been badgering me to take the kids on a holiday!

I love luxurious holidays, 5 star hotels, cocktail hour, drinks by the pool, candlelit dinners etc. And these places don’t let you bring dogs!

Most of the places I know of are like a room/house with no housekeeping and you have to cook your own meals etc. This doesn’t feel like a holiday to me! So I never bring the dogs on holidays! I would if I could find somewhere that would cater to me as well as allow me to bring them along.

We are researching to take them somewhere but it will be a holiday for “them” not so much for me!

Because we like visiting National Parks. We are wildlife buffs and whenever we go somewhere we find spots on the way where we can look for uncommon or threatened animals. It's not a very dog compatible hobby. We also find it is a bit stressful trying to find places where we can leave them if we want to go and do something they are not allowed to participate in, like go get dinner at a restaurant. We always miss them badly, though, and spend hours pathetically looking at photos of them on the laptop. :laugh:

Because we like visiting National Parks. We are wildlife buffs and whenever we go somewhere we find spots on the way where we can look for uncommon or threatened animals. It's not a very dog compatible hobby. We also find it is a bit stressful trying to find places where we can leave them if we want to go and do something they are not allowed to participate in, like go get dinner at a restaurant. We always miss them badly, though, and spend hours pathetically looking at photos of them on the laptop. :)

Or iPhone :laugh:

Guest english.ivy

I love to wander around [national parks etc] and if my dogs were there I'd worry about them getting into trouble. Much rather them be locked away at a boarding kennel, safe and sound.

I went camping with Ivy last Easter and had a ball with her, we sat around the tent and chilled. I'd love to do that again this Easter and take Badg. But have my own holiday later in the year.

Also when I travel/holiday I leave the state. Putting two large dogs as excess baggage is expensive!

I take staycations because Grumpy is difficult to get anywhere and has to be in a travel crate in the back seat. This leaves no room for Mini. Previously, he was fine to travel and went to Victoria and SA with me with no problems.

Usually we do.

But on the odd occasion we go somewhere like Sydney or Melbourne for a gig and a few days off we don't. They would be stuck in crates from most of the time, I would much rather send them to a friends place so they can have a bit of fun too.

I don't holiday with them, because for some part of it, it is why I go n holidays!

My dogs are lovely, but Monte in particular is hard work. He has to be medicated with a strict regime, which requires 5am starts 365 days a year and he normally wakes earlier then this and cries until his is fed and medicated. I am a clean freak and so I clean up non-stop after them, again, mainly because of Monte.

I go on holiday to enjoy myself and relax and to have an advenutre, and I can not do that if I bring the dogs with me.

I love them but there is only so much I can toelrate. :laugh:

Edited by ~Anne~

Oh Bub! :laugh:

Yes I can see how that might not work.

You should do a pet friendly search on Stayz though- No poolside service, but there are some stunning holiday houses on there.

Yeah the national park issue is tricky. :)

And I can definitely understand that taking dogs interstate is not an easy option. And wanting a break from them!

Edited by ✽deelee

We recently went to Melbourne and didn't take Akira with us. Our reasons were we were staying with family (and OH's aunty is scared of dogs), we were going to visit our puppy so Akira couldn't come along to that and we didn't want to subject her to an 8 hour drive with only one stop, because we didn't have long there and wanted to get there quickly. If we do bring Akira along, we make sure that we stop every two hours and everything we do while on holiday revolves around things we can do with her.

Because I have four big naughty dogs! I feel stressed enough just taking them to the park, let alone to stay in someone else's accomodation! I don't go away unless a family member can house-sit, so we rarely go away.

Oh Bub! :laugh:

Yes I can see how that might not work.

You should do a pet friendly search on Stayz though- No poolside service, but there are some stunning holiday houses on there.

If you have any recommendations Dee please PM me!!!! OH has decreed at the beginning of the year that we are to them somewhere once a yr! I refuse to call it a holiday though! It will be THEIR holiday!!! :)

So do share!! I would take them with me everytime, but can't find anything suitable for 1 + 3 biggies. Peace and quiet is what we need.. The best I have found are a days travel away to that cuts it down. I need somewhere for shorter stays that don't mean I spend two days travelling.

Meea

I have read many times how people "can't" take their dogs on holidays, so put them in kennels or don't take holidays at all.

Personally I have had no trouble finding pet friendly holiday places. The one I stayed at recently was a pet owners dream!

Why don't you take your dogs?

Is it the cost? Health issues?

I'm not judging, I just love taking my dog & feel there must be some good reasons why people wouldn't do it.

:laugh:

I take them when I'm going alone. I don't take Lucy with other people due to her fear aggression. She is very unpredictable and after she charged at my nephew last time she remained crated for the rest of the holiday (which got cut short) and walked every 2 hours. Never again, it isn't relaxing for anyone! So she'll be boarded on the next family holiday and Fergs will come along.

I ion't take them when I go to Perth to visit my family there (which only happens every few years) as my father finds closing the front door "restrictive". Not worth the risk of a lost dog in Perth, where microchipping isn't mandatory and a lot of places don't check for chips... So they stay nice and safe in the kennels where they get at least 3 plays per day and a private training lesson from Erny.

I usually take my dogs along when I holiday in NSW. However, it is not easy to find fully fenced dog friendly properties that allow dogs inside. I usually have to spend a lot of time on stayz to find an appropriate place.

If we go overseas for a holiday, then of course it is not practical to take them with us.

Usually I do, sometimes I don't. If I'm doing dog friendly things and travelling by car, I do. If I'm flying I can't. If I'm staying in a hotel room, or spending my days doing things that she can't do, I can't.

Taking a dog can be restrictive - lots of places you can't go, e.g. national parks, centres of many towns. She's also large, noisy, and very energetic so I can't exactly leave her in a hotel room by herself during the day.

Our 6 couldn't come to Africa or Canada with us :laugh: (that would have been interesting) but we do stay at dog friendly accomodation when we want to take the dogs, usually down the coast near Johanna somewhere.

My parents have recently bought us an offroad camper so we can take the dogs camping now whenever we go. First trip was this weekend just gone, and they loved it.

We took our handycam thingo with us OS at Christmas, not to take videos but to watch home videos of the dogs playing. We couldn't watch it though. We both got teary the minute we saw them :):):rofl:

As much as we love a nice OS trip, we really miss the dogs too much and couldn't imagine a local holiday without them. :eek: