Welsh Springer Spaniels/cocker Spaniels ?

cowanbree

I am looking for a dog for my brother and would like to know a little more about both breeds from people who own them.

My brother has a much loved Lab who at 12yrs is getting older. They adore him and my brother has his heart set on another Lab but the reality is they don't really fit into his current lifestyle. He has a tiny house, 2 young kiddies and a smaller section. His wife is very house proud and has found the lab too much dog and the hair a bit much. My brother is an keen duck shooter and any dog he gets has to be able to participate in this.

I was considering a Welsh because it is smaller, seems calmer and wouldn't moult as much as a Lab but still be able to do dog sport. My brother is the dog person and while he loves his dog he works long hours and the main care is left to his wife. She finds the Lab too much dog and while she walks daily he is mostly left home which I find rather sad. She wants smaller, calmer and less hair and my brother wants a duck dog.

They favour the Cocker but I wonder if it is too small for duck shooting and just how much coat work is involved? I know Labs have a shorter coat than both breeds but their short dense coat seems to get in everywhere and is difficult to vacuum.

Any other breeds that would be suitable?

I am not a gundog person so don't know a great deal about them. What is their temperments like, even from a puppy? How much coat work are they? Would they do well as duck dogs?

A Brittany coat is very easy to care for and they are generally excellent gun dogs.

Look for a breeder who has a track record working their dogs.

And why the Brittany over the Welsh if you don't mind me asking show dog? I have been wondering what separates these 2 breeds myself (other than physically I mean).

Because i believe the Brittany would be more suited to what the OP brother wants.

Less coat good workers.

Britts still shed though :laugh:

They ARE good with Kids, are good hunting dogs and family dogs as well...They can be alot like a Lab in the bouncy, overexciteable overgrown puppy though, but then again most gun dogs are for a fair few years? :laugh:

It is difficult as the wife isn't really a dog person. She loves their current Lab but he misses out on a lot as he is too big and boisterous for her. While it is important that the dog can do duck shooting is more important that it be the right dog around the house as then she would take him on her walks and even out in the car with her. Their current dog does go everywhere with my brother when he is home and is a loved family member but would live an even better life if he was able to go out and about with the wife.

It's always better if the wife wants to be involved with the dog because normally, the female of the household is the caregiver.

All spaniels have high maintenance needs coat wise plus they do shed, really not sure if this is the right situation for one. I like them but find them too bouncy - if she finds a lab too much then I think the spaniel will be the same.

The reality of it is they are going to get a dog and it will be a gundog so I am trying to find one that is the closest fit for them. I personally love the springers but they would be far too much in the way of coat for them.

How much work would the dog have? The difficulty is that if you want a dog with drive enough to hunt you have that excess energy to deal with when they're not working. I really can't comment on any other breed as I haven't lived with them but you'd need to thorougly research the lines as there are some splits between show and working. Personally I think my working lines ESS is perfect :( but not everyone wants to live with an energiser bunny :laugh: She is very soft and sweet and snuggly though and is just a delight to have around. Not much coat to worry about and a bit smaller than the show Springers too.

DSC04140.jpg

Edited by The Spotted Devil

I have a female cocker. She can be very bouncy but a good walk or a free run will tire her out easily. Her coat can get very tangled if not groomed regularly but I don't find shedding too much of a problem. A good brush and the use of my mars coat king and she's good to go. Her retrieving instinct is awesome!! She likes a cuddle but is not an in your face dog. She's happy just to be where her family is. If we're on the couch she's happy to be on her bed in the same room. I heard that male cockers are alot more affectionate. She walks nicely on a leadbut she does like a good sniff as she goes. She's small enough and light enough (about 10kg) that on the rare occasion she does jump up at me I'm not sent flying. I've also found her easy to train, most cockers will do anything for a small food reward and a pat.

She's the first dog I've ever owned (previous dogs were family pets) and I would always have a cocker after owning my little princess.

I have brittanys and have had labs, also know a lot of breeders of brittanys and labs. The labs are easier maintanance than the brittanys. The brittanys are more active and can be as much or more destructive. They don't shed nearly as much as a lab though, 3 brittanys shed less than 1 lab. Most brittanys are mad about birds and are great working dogs, but a lab purely as a retriever is hard to beat. Personally I would suggest a female lab for your brother. I had one here not much taller than my britts, but she was double their weight.