Stud Owners

LizT

Just mulling this one over as I think the meaning has many different interpretations. Is it......

An ANKC Registered Bitch

A bitch that falls in line with your breeding "type" and program

A bitch that is "pleasing to your eye" and meets "your approval"

A bitch that is Titled

Or something else entirely?

An ANKC Registered Bitch

Yes

Yes

Yes

A bitch that is Titled

No

Sometimes. If the bitch's owner can explain rationally and sensibly why they think my dog is the right choice for her then I would be very much inclined to let them use him as long as she's reg'd, health tested, not horrendous, they're registered etc etc etc.

I might not agree 100% with their logic (If I totally disagreed it would be a straight no) but maybe I'm wrong, maybe they're wrong. If they have considered the situation and have a plan, I would almost always be inclined to let them try it out.

This is not something I have to worry about just yet (as I own no studs thus far) but I'd have to say I agree with Sandra777.

I don't believe a title is a barrier (my recently whelped bitch isn't titled but is most of the way there). If the bitch owner was looking to improve on something in their line that my stud dog had as a strength, and they complimented each other in most other ways, I would stud my boy to them.

An ANKC Registered Bitch

Yes

Yes

Yes

A bitch that is Titled

No

Sometimes. If the bitch's owner can explain rationally and sensibly why they think my dog is the right choice for her then I would be very much inclined to let them use him as long as she's reg'd, health tested, not horrendous, they're registered etc etc etc.

I might not agree 100% with their logic (If I totally disagreed it would be a straight no) but maybe I'm wrong, maybe they're wrong. If they have considered the situation and have a plan, I would almost always be inclined to let them try it out.

:thumbsup::laugh:

What Sandra said too

Just mulling this one over as I think the meaning has many different interpretations. Is it......

An ANKC Registered Bitch

A bitch that is Titled

If I was advertising a stud and included the phrase "to approved bitches only" - then it's there to indicate that I might say no. It's almost not needed, because of course the stud owner is only going to use their boy on bitches they approve of - even BYB do this, they just approve of every bitch.

So any of the things you listed may be required by a particular breeder before they will approve the use of their stud over that bitch.

For me, I think I'd check:

- ANKC main registered

- appropriate health checks done with results I deem acceptable

- good temperament

- of the type I think is best

- doesn't double up on the faults the stud has

- pedigree doesn't include dogs from certain prefixes (due to concerns about accuracy of information)

- owned by someone I can get along with on a fairly impersonal level (just for long term info on the resulting pups)

- I'd prefer she was titled in some disciplines but wouldn't require it

ANKC or NSWSDWA registered.

My dog has been used to breed performance dogs not show dogs (though he has produced pups that wouldn't disgrace you in the show ring) so I look at not only at the bitch but why the breeder wants to use my dog and what they hope to gain. I have knocked back more people than have used him for various of reasons.

Must be pleasing to the eye and I must feel that my dog is the right dog for her, conformation and pedigree.

Must comply with the National Rottweiler HD Scheme. Which covers HD, ED, Dental and Eyes.

Must have sound temperament.

Must be registered with an ANKC body.

Titles don't mean much to me. If the dog or bitch is good enough then I will breed with it. Not all great producers are good show dogs/bitches.

It's a bitch that meets my approval.

She maybe lovely, registered and titled but unsuitable for the male (same faults, doubling on a health issue etc).

So basically I ask bitch owners to do the sell on me. Why do they wish to use my male, what they are after? If I can see their reason and logic in it, and there should be no serious health issues, then I say yes.

To me a bitch owner who asks to use my male "to see what we get" or to "get new lines" (ie imported ones) is going to be a flat no, unless I've been secretly scheming to get the bitch :( . But that is a very rare thing.

Edited by Lowenhart

It's a bitch that meets my approval.

She maybe lovely, registered and titled but unsuitable for the male (same faults, doubling on a health issue etc).

So basically I ask bitch owners to do the sell on me. Why do they wish to use my male, what they are after? If I can see their reason and logic in it, and there should be no serious health issues, then I say yes.

To me a bitch owner who asks to use my male "to see what we get" or to "get new lines" (ie imported ones) is going to be a flat no, unless I've been secretly scheming to get the bitch :( . But that is a very rare thing.

I totally agree. The bitch could be the nicest bitch I have seen but if the owner can not justify why they want to use my dog then its a big NO. I'm not interested in my dog being used just because they like him or like the lines. The dog has to compliment their bitch in conformation, type and temperament and if they cant tell me the faults in their bitch and how they think my dog will help to fix this in their lines then sorry, its a no.

I have only allowed 3 of the dozen or so enquiries I have received for him. Some people may think I'm too harsh, but I dont want my dog to become a popular sire or for him to go to any old bitch. I want him to produce special puppies that will do well in the breeders chosen field.

I work under a slightly different system (ie breeders here don't need to go through geting an affix to be able to register a litter)

1. Bitch must be KC registered without endorsement (main reg to you!)

2. Must have current and clear eye test certificate

3. Must send me pedigree (5 gen) so I can check for dogs who are known to carry eye problems or any other health/temperament probs)

4. I prefer to see the bitch or at least some good photos to see if my boy will do anything to produce good quality pups

5. Bitch owner must be someone I can work with - to see how pups turn out and to trust them to endorse any pet pups they sell on. etc

I turn away about 50% of those who have asked about my boys. Saying 'approved bitches' gives bitch owners the idea that they could be turned down, even then I have had one experience with someone who got very abusive when I turned them down (even though they had repeatedly not sent pedigree and eye test details after being asked on several occasions). They refused to accept my reasons and decided it was because my dog wasn't up to the job! lol

Right of refusal is the right of every stud owner for whatever reasons are applicable to you. Nice to know it doesn't just take a wad of money for someone to get to the stud of their choice! :eek:

This is particulary comforting as I trawl through potential studs wondering which would best suit my girl. While getting input from her breeder is of great value to me I would also hope that any potential Studs owner would also give me their thoughts and reasoning either way, even if for..or against.

Apart from the basics (registered breeder, registered dog etc)....in no particular order:

A style of dog that suits (doesn't mean it has to be exactly what I would use, but it does need to be compelmentary)

Structure is complementary and not doubling up on faults

A plan for why the mating is taking place (what is the goal?)

Health testing and suitable results

Temperament

A pedigree that is complementary and 'looks good on paper' from a range of aspects (health, dominant traits, type, temperament etc etc)

A bit of knowledge about the breeder and where the pups would end up/how they in turn might be used.

Personally not worried about titles - a dog or bitch can have all the titles in the world, but if it doesnt suit, it doesnt suit. Some very nice dogs and bitches in my breed have also never seen the show ring.

IMO the owner of the dam and the sire are 'partners' in a mating. That is a whole lot more than 'pimping a dog out' so to speak. I agree too - it is about having the ability to say no.

Edited by espinay2

Firstly I must be able to trust the bitch owner/s and have similar philosophies and goals

- the bitch must be health tested with acceptable results (they dont have to be perfect)

- the bitch must compliment my dog and vice-versa

- Must be similar type to my dog

- temperament must be good

- must be registered but not necessarily titled

- color must be acceptable genetically for the mating

An ANKC Registered Bitch

Yes and of course on MAIN register as well as the owner must be the person doing the litter.

No, the breeding has nothing to do with MY vision for the breed nor would I demand that it be incorporated into my current breeding program. The breeder of the bitch has a vision and a program, it's not my right to state to them that they can not use one of my boys because it doesn't fit with MY plans down the road, nor would I have the right to state to them that their bitch isn't my TYPE so therefore wouldn't benefit from the use of one of my boys.

It's not a case of whether the bitch is pleasing to my eye. It's a case of whether her short comings will or might be removed by using one of my boys. I must look at the whole package, but when breeding and trying to improve, you have to zero in on specifics and calculate if the use of stud dog A or B will help. As for my approval, it's not that simple...it's all of these questions, not just what the bitch looks like...don't forget, there are health checks to do and of course temperament must come into things as well.

A bitch that is Titled

No, however the breeder must have shown a level of committment to the breed, and often that IS showing....if the bitch has been shown and falls short of a title...not a problem..if the bitch has never been shown, the breeder doesn't want to show her or her offspring, than YES it matter and I will not agree to just producing puppies.

As mentioned above, there are more items I consider, I also ask the owner of the bitch what they expect from the use of MY boy..remember..as stud owner, I can turn a bitch down....it's also important to listen to the owner of the bitch and appreciate their side as to why they contacted me in the first place. Everyone has a different interpretation of their breed and path they are wanting to go. By listening to the bitches owner, often the stud dog owner gets insite into an aspect that they had not considered before.

This is my attitude too. As long as I think the breeder is trying to 'improve the breed', then I'm happy to be convinced.

"A good dog belongs to the breed."

An ANKC Registered Bitch

Yes and of course on MAIN register as well as the owner must be the person doing the litter.

No, the breeding has nothing to do with MY vision for the breed nor would I demand that it be incorporated into my current breeding program. The breeder of the bitch has a vision and a program, it's not my right to state to them that they can not use one of my boys because it doesn't fit with MY plans down the road, nor would I have the right to state to them that their bitch isn't my TYPE so therefore wouldn't benefit from the use of one of my boys.

It's not a case of whether the bitch is pleasing to my eye. It's a case of whether her short comings will or might be removed by using one of my boys. I must look at the whole package, but when breeding and trying to improve, you have to zero in on specifics and calculate if the use of stud dog A or B will help. As for my approval, it's not that simple...it's all of these questions, not just what the bitch looks like...don't forget, there are health checks to do and of course temperament must come into things as well.

A bitch that is Titled

No, however the breeder must have shown a level of committment to the breed, and often that IS showing....if the bitch has been shown and falls short of a title...not a problem..if the bitch has never been shown, the breeder doesn't want to show her or her offspring, than YES it matter and I will not agree to just producing puppies.

As mentioned above, there are more items I consider, I also ask the owner of the bitch what they expect from the use of MY boy..remember..as stud owner, I can turn a bitch down....it's also important to listen to the owner of the bitch and appreciate their side as to why they contacted me in the first place. Everyone has a different interpretation of their breed and path they are wanting to go. By listening to the bitches owner, often the stud dog owner gets insite into an aspect that they had not considered before.

That pretty much nails it in my opinion.

An ANKC Registered Bitch

A bitch that is Titled

That pretty much nails it in my opinion.

Agree here also. But Bitch MUST be health screened where the breed requires. ie: hips, elbows, eyes clear etc

• 2 weeks later...

An ANKC Registered Bitch

A bitch that is Titled

A girl with a sound pedigree of healthy, true to type lines which has produced a dog (the girl to be serviced) commensurate with those lines. The lines need to be compatible with your own lines as well.

Outside matings need to be assessed on the basis of 'improving' the breed equally as much as inhouse matings and we should be familiar with our boys' ability to enhance and in what areas. If a girl has faults that could be emphasised by the boy, then you don't do the mating, but if he is likely to enhance the girl, then it is an approved mating.