Clumber Spaniels

Casperoz

Hi Everyone,

I am new here and found this forum by accident when i was looking for information about one of the top 3 dogs we are looking at.

In the next 5 years we are looking at getting a dog, we currently have a poodle cross but she is getting on now. We bought her from the RSPCA 10 years ago and she was an adult then, so her exact age is a mystery.

We seem to have decided that a Clumber spaniel would be nice, we are looking for a medium sized active dog, we would like a dog that enjoys walks, playing, but is also happy to lay in front of a fire and snore.

We are active people, we do not have children and we have a medium size yard, our home does have stairs.

The biggest issue we are having is that there doesn't seem to be a lot of information about Clumber's in Australia and finding a breed is proving to be a challenge.

We do not want to show our Clumber but would like a dog with good family lines with none of the hereditary issues they seem to have. I realise this is not full proof that there is still a possibility they will have health issues but i would rather buy a good quality dog from a good breeder than a back yard breeder with no idea.

If any one has any information, recommendations or advice i would love to hear from you.

This will be our first pedigree dog and we want to do our research first.

Thanks

Cas

I love the look of Clumbers, such gorgeous dogs :thumbsup: Are they really classed as an active dog though? I would think that many (all?) of the other spaniel breeds would be more active than a Clumber, more than happy to be corrected though :laugh:

Great dogs, fantastic temperaments, medium grooming, great with kids ... .but not "medium " size - they are a big heavy dog. Not hugely tall, but heavy. They are the largest of the spaniels, and were developed to shoulder their way through heavy brush. They are active - and they do drool.

I love them. If you are keen don't be swayed, phone up a couple of local breeders and go and meet some of theirr dogs.

Two of my friends breed them, and they are lovely dogs. I remember sitting at a show with the Clumber (wearing his bib, so he wouldn't drool on his clean coat) being incredibly winning with little kids who wanted to pat the doggy. They have beautiful, endearing personalites. I'm sorry I didnt' discover them years ago! Despite being big, they are very gentle and kind.

Nekhbet, wondering why you recommended a Dogue? Totally different outlook and personality from Clumbers. Or am I missing something?

I love Clumbers too, very beautiful looking dogs. I looked at them when looking at different breeds before getting a Brittany but ruled them out quickly for one reason only, not suitable for agility. Apart from that I think they are beautiful.

Clumbers are lovely but I would class them as a large breed of dog simply as they carry a LOT of bone and are heavy buggers! There are more active medium-sized spaniels if thats what you're after.

And snorers - yup they can do that :(

Clumbers are a large dog, around 35 kg and the size of a small Labrador - about 19 inches they are very fast over open ground, are very loyal and loving dogs.

They are affectionate and a real peoples dog but they are a gundog and do need exercise despite thier lazy outlook.

Jed I assume that your friends are the people from whom my new Clumber baby came from ... they have exhibited some new babies just yesterday and today. If this is the same people then my baby is from the same litter. :laugh:

See if this link works

Have you looked into Sussex Spaniels? A friend of mine has one and she is GORGEOUS!! Not as heavy as a clumber but still on the chunky side. Active but not crazy =)

Edited by Kirty

They can have very sobering hip scores.

Not a dog to overfeed or over exercise as a pup or allow to be anything other than lean IMO.

I prefer the working ones (ligher in type) but there are none of those here that I'm aware of. Pity.

Edited by poodlefan

They can have very sobering hip scores.

Not a dog to overfeed or over exercise as a pup or allow to be anything other than lean IMO.

I prefer the working ones (ligher in type) but there are none of those here that I'm aware of. Pity.

Pf there are a couple who are working thier Clumbers and my girl is in training to work... she will show also but she is a gundog and I expect any gundog to be able to earn its keep so to speak... if it wont work then its not a good example of the breed.