Storm Phobias- At What Point Do You Consider It A Problem?

Cosmolo

Do you consider any stress during a storm to be a problem? What do you think is a normal reaction to a storm? Pacing? Laying in a corner panting or going to a crate? Being unusually 'affectionate', ie seeking close contact when they would not normally?

There is a massive storm here and i am watching 5 dogs.

One is laying in a corner panting (stress related not heat)

2 are sleeping on the couch

One is playing with his ball- completely oblivious

And one seeks close contact each time there is thunder and 'cleans me'- 2 things she would never normally do- in between those bursts she curls up next to one of the other dogs and is almost going to sleep.

Do you consider any stress during a storm to be a problem?

Depending on the severity of the stress, yes.

What do you think is a normal reaction to a storm? Pacing? Laying in a corner panting or going to a crate? Being unusually 'affectionate', ie seeking close contact when they would not normally?

None of those would worry me too much. My previous dog would pant due to stress and sometimes shiver. We probably should have seen a behaviourist about it, but being 12 years old when this "phobia" started, it may have actually been health related (she had a neurological condition).

It would worry me if the dog got so stressed it was at risk of injuring itself. I have seen dogs that cut up their paws, trying to get out of their crate/house.

No, only where the dog may be hurt or things destroyed.

What do you think is a normal reaction to a storm? Pacing? Laying in a corner panting or going to a crate? Being unusually 'affectionate', ie seeking close contact when they would not normally?

A normal reaction would be to ignore it. I wouldn't bother trying to modify any of the above behaviours even though I wouldn't class them as ideal.

I think it becomes a problem when the dog becomes so distressed it risks harming itself.

Our two family Goldens were storm phobic. One would find a corner to pant in whilst the other would go to the back shed. Though the second one eventually got worse as she got older and started breaking out, to just run. At this point, we resorted to drugs to help her.

I've heard of similar stories involving larger dogs hurting themselves. One was a Dane who was so bad eventually started putting itself through windows to escape. He got pts because he was such a danger to himself and other people :D

My Boston X was always phobic of storms but used to just hide in our closet and pant until it was over. As she got older she got worse, much worse. One day she jumped through a glass window to get OUT of the house, she was cut very badly right next to her eye and it took us hours to find her. We found her hidden in the neighbours yard in their Border Collie's kennel. This became a habit, hurting herself trying to escape, with medication she was only slightly better.

Eventually we had to try and pre-empt a storm and make arrangements to either be home or have someone go to the house and stay with her. When they start self harming and storm season is ruling your life, that's when it's a problem.

I wouldn't regard any of those behaviours a problem, although I would be on the look out for any escalation of behavior to modify it before it got to a point the dog would harm it's self or others

I think a normal reaction is to not care. I believe mine don't care as they carry on regardless.

Like the others it's not a problem unless the dog risks harming itself.

To me normal reactions would range from barely batting an eyelid to behaviours such as pacing, panting or being clingy.

To me a phobia is an extreme reaction, it would go way beyond what's above and I've seen dogs break doors down, jump through windows, lay under beds pissing themselves and not eat for days. When it's displaying behaviours like that, then it's serious and a problem.

Sitting in the same storm as Cosmolo, lol. Brock tend to run around the garden looking at the sky. The girls then practice their herding techniques on him. They girls are currently watching him waiting for him to run.

They are all panting, more from running I think and look super alert rather then worried or stressed.

The only real problem this behavior has caused is Brock has pulled up lame a couple of times.

Bad rainy/windy weather and Brock and Amber look to hide under their trampoline beds and are happy to come in. Poppy will sit out in it and not care.

I have previously found Casper asleep, out in the open with thunder, lighting and rain going all around him. At that exact time, Bella was in the bathtub. At least if a bomb goes off at the same time, she will be safe :D I give her Rescue Remedy and she gets over it a little quicker than without. Besides that, we just leave her to it.

I would be concerned if she got destructive, not sure what we would do then.

I live in St Kilda, during Grand Prix, the jets fly over the house really low which makes a hell of a lot more noise than any thunderstorm I've heard. I run out the back all excited and all mine except one picks up on my excitement, Same with really loud thunderstorms, I love them. But Barbarella is really clingy and shakes, she thinks the sky is falling

Do you consider any stress during a storm to be a problem? What do you think is a normal reaction to a storm? Pacing? Laying in a corner panting or going to a crate? Being unusually 'affectionate', ie seeking close contact when they would not normally?

There is a massive storm here and i am watching 5 dogs.

One is laying in a corner panting (stress related not heat)

2 are sleeping on the couch

One is playing with his ball- completely oblivious

And one seeks close contact each time there is thunder and 'cleans me'- 2 things she would never normally do- in between those bursts she curls up next to one of the other dogs and is almost going to sleep.

I wouldn't consider that behaviour to be a problem. I have a friend with a beardie that broke just about all her teeth trying to chew her way out of a metal crate....

I have never owned a dog that was overly concerned by storms. Every dog my MIL has owned however has had a storm phobia. :)

I am not sure which, if any of what you describe (apart form the obvious) is an issue. The panting one would concern me as this would also indicate a raised heart beat and undue stress which would affect the dog physically, as well as emotionally. The licker has found a way to comfort itself so I would think that while this would not be great, it is better than the one panting perhaps.

I would consider anything more than very mild stress a problem. The dog doesn't necessarily have to be frantic and destroying things or trying to jump out windows. It might still be severely stressed and fearful without doing that. I'm sure some dogs would cower and pant and shiver instead. The fear would still be real for them.

I consider it a problem when the dog barks constantly (I've had two like this, one is still with me). I've had other dogs that were nervous but when they bark, if it is during the night (they are inside the house), I do worry about disturbing the neighbours etc but it also prevents me from sleeping properly!

I'd also cnosider it a problem if they were destructive or so frightened that they went through windows etc - I've heard of this happening.

Def believe in drugs if suitable for dog's wellbeing. I've known a few people that have had to rush home during a storm as their dogs didn't cope.

It's a problem for me when the dog displays unwanted, annoying and continuous behaviour, no matter what that is.

For a dog to be used for breeding, I would expect him to notice/not notice the storm, thunder, lighting, and ignore it. A young dog barking at lightning or thunder at first (maybe for 2 storms) would be ok.

Any other displays whilst storms are on, the dog is not bred with.

I consider this a fairly serious fault.

However, living with nervous dogs or nervous owners can bring this on. So the puppy may be storm proof but made otherwise by companions or owner.

Yes. Do they need to be stressed? I'd rather they weren't.

What do you think is a normal reaction to a storm?

Kivi notices, but ignores them. If they go right over our heads he comes and presses himself against me. I consider that pretty normal. He ignores them unless they are really scary ones, then he seeks reassurance through social contact.

Erik gets aroused by storms. If it's just one going over he is not too bad. I can ask him to do something other than barking and he will. A bit of training or play and he forgets about the thunder. I wouldn't leave him to deal with it on his own if I don't have to. I don't want him to be stressed if he needn't be, and I consider it good emotional conditioning to make sure he's in a positive emotional state as much as possible when a storm is around. Just not tooooo positive. :)

My older girl has started to become anxious around storms... the panting, pacing and staying close by to me. I really don't like it, I hate seeing her stressed out. I ignore it the best I can and if she is up to it we have a fun little game before the storm hits.

She never used to be this way, but the thread I made about it in Health made me realise that her reaction is certainly not severe. I am closely monitoring her in case she gets worse.

My oldest poodle boy Ted became distressed during a severe thunderstorm a few weeks back. We were at a dog show so the effects were pretty full on.

He became agitated and panted a lot. He got a cuddle on my lap and calmed down. I notice that as his vision is fading, he is more reactive to loud noises. I'll just manage it but I feel for people who have to bolt home if a storm is coming. I work with two dog owners who have to do that.