Puppy Nipping And Biting Hurts!

Lynn725

Hi, I've recently got my puppy for almost a week and he is biting me non stop whenever my hands and feet are near to him. I tried to scream loud and said no...then ignore him for secs...when i'm back, he started it all over again. I tried to distract him with toys but when he is playing with toys and my hands and feet come near...he would prefer my hand or foot rather than toy. By the way the breed is Japanese Spitz. I couldnt stop him.

Now i feel a little annoyed and when he bites me i just pushed him away and said no but no luck! He is still the same old him! Just now when i was playing with him he bites me really hard and i scream....not the scream that i wanted to stop him but literally feels pain and scream! Then i said NO and put him in his crate and lock the door. Now I am so scared to play with him or I feel demotivated as when i play with him he bites me and it hurts a lot! Many techniques that i got from internet are not helping.... has anyone came through the same problem as i do?

How old is your puppy?

There is no use being upset about it or scream at him, because he seriously doesn't understand you. He doesn't understand he isn't suppose to be biting. Puppy likes to bite, that's how to learn things but you have to teach him that it's not the right thing to do.

Things you can try:

Hold your thumb under his tongue and hold his lower jaw for a few seconds.. let go.. hold your hand out to his mouth, if he avoids your hand then praise and reward. if he continue to bite, repeat that method. don't get mad or upset... just be calm about it. the more upset you get, the more he will feed off that energy.

Hold a small tin with little rocks in it. When he bites, shake that tin near him, that would shock him to let go. Praise and reward him when he does. Repeat this (a few people have done this to Emmy and it has worked on her).

Shove him away. Ignore him (even if that means leaving the room).

If he is going after the feet... then stop moving, get a toy and encourage him to play with that toy or with something else. Most JS loves to chase something, so just throw something and he will go chase it.

Hold him up from the scruff till he is calm (i have done this to Emmy when she use to go for my toes. Done this to her twice and she has never gone after anyone feet again).

Give him some chew toys to chew on.

-----------

Play with him when he is calm. Stop playing with him when he gets too much. Ignore him if he is too much for you.

I wouldn't use his crate as a punishment or a place where you him for time out. Crate is suppose to be one of the best places in the world for them.

We needs to see some pics of him :birthday: (i have a very soft spot for JS :thumbsup: )

Edited by CW EW

Here I go again :thumbsup:

If it was mine I would pick the little sot up by the scruff and shake him or pinch it in the neck and the above post about holding it by the muzzle is good to, and let the puppy know it has done the wrong thing.

If the puppy had done it to its mother she would have punished the pup also by biting it or flatening it quick smart.

An almost 8th month old pup got rough with it's mum the other day and she flattened it quick smart.

I bet it won't try that again for a while.

Hello! The puppy is 9 weeks tomorrow!!

How old is your puppy?

There is no use being upset about it or scream at him, because he seriously doesn't understand you. He doesn't understand he isn't suppose to be biting. Puppy likes to bite, that's how to learn things but you have to teach him that it's not the right thing to do.

Things you can try:

Hold your thumb under his tongue and hold his lower jaw for a few seconds.. let go.. hold your hand out to his mouth, if he avoids your hand then praise and reward. if he continue to bite, repeat that method. don't get mad or upset... just be calm about it. the more upset you get, the more he will feed off that energy.

Hold a small tin with little rocks in it. When he bites, shake that tin near him, that would shock him to let go. Praise and reward him when he does. Repeat this (a few people have done this to Emmy and it has worked on her).

Shove him away. Ignore him (even if that means leaving the room).

If he is going after the feet... then stop moving, get a toy and encourage him to play with that toy or with something else. Most JS loves to chase something, so just throw something and he will go chase it.

Hold him up from the scruff till he is calm (i have done this to Emmy when she use to go for my toes. Done this to her twice and she has never gone after anyone feet again).

Give him some chew toys to chew on.

-----------

Play with him when he is calm. Stop playing with him when he gets too much. Ignore him if he is too much for you.

I wouldn't use his crate as a punishment or a place where you him for time out. Crate is suppose to be one of the best places in the world for them.

We needs to see some pics of him :birthday: (i have a very soft spot for JS :thumbsup: )

Yes, it does hurt!

Pups use their mouths the way we use our hands - to explore and make contact with their environment and their playmates. They aren't being nasty but your job as the owner is to discourage it the way his mum and siblings would have.

I strongly recommend you find yourself a good puppy school and book into lessons. Teaching bite inhibition should be one of the things covered.

Edited by poodlefan

cute pup!

consistency does work, a sharp no and a push away has begun to work for my pup. Then if she wants to sit on my lap she knows she has to be gentle and the message is getting through.

It's so hard for these little balls of dynamite but consistency and excited praise for doing the right thing works.

and yes, they do have sharp little teeth :thumbsup: ouch!

At 9 weeks their teeth are like needles! Fortunately though they don't have much power in their jaws and your job is to teach him bite inhibition by the time those needles fall out and he gets his adult teeth.

Timing is crucial. I have a 14 week old mouthy kelpie...very mouthy!!! He does however, have fantastic bite inhibition and has not put a hole in me! He is learning that human skin is soooo sensative.

I actually play with his mouth, allow him to bite....put up with the soft ones. Think about it... has he really bitten you? The sensation of puppy biting is not so pleasant but you have to toughen up for a short while. During this play he will either by mistake or deliberately bite harder...THAT is the one to mark! YEOW!!! Dramatically withdraw your hand and stop play for a few seconds. Go back to playing but tone it down a bit if you can...if it gets out of hand then repeat. An important point here...you are not stirring the puppy up...you are just gently allowing him to play with your hand. This is a teaching game.

It does work and by the time your puppy has his adult teeth he will learn that people are not chew toys! Good luck!!!

His name is COLA!

He is very cute but naughty!

Cool name :thumbsup:

They are suppose to be very cute and naughty at 9 weeks old :birthday:

Emmy, my JS, was a terror at that age!

But poodlefan is right, you should enroll him to puppy school and do some training with him...

oakways on the money :)

dont shake cans they scare the poo out of dogs and can sensitise them to loud noises later on if you use it as a fear device. And dont shove a dog. You can hrt a 9 week old quite easily. If you do scruff you dont hold them up, you scruff and growl untl the tantrum stops.

Remember dogs dont speak english. They dont know what NO means at all. You're better off giving a low growl or a BAAAH in a grumbly voice and firmly.

Techniques do work but you have to be patient,seriously it is doing what pups do & i often can't figure why people get so feed up with little puppies for being normal .

Reverse the scenario as if it was you at work & someone was getting feed up with you & how you would feel

I would also avoid telling him off & placing in the crate .The crate should be a place he fells comfy to get in not be a punishment den,if you do wish to use it for time out then you need to place pup in there in a calm/quiet manner not angry.

Being scared is a serious over reaction & if you feel that way then you will not connect with the dog.

You have no reason to be scared nor do you have any reason to be demotivated for something the pup has no idea.

Your body language during this time would seriously affect how your dog interacts with you & the dog will either play up more or become less inclined to want to be around you after all who wants to be around another person that would treat you the same way for no good reason at all.

Often the techniques don't work because people give up,are boring ,speak like a mouse or have no substance to the voice tone ,they are boring so why should a pup want to listen .

Many people say no 10 times ,the dogs name 10 times & after awhile the cue words mean bugger all because when said nothing happens they just part of the normal vocabulary used every day & often around the dog.

What have you started to teach him??

Generally you will see the signs of getting to excited so be prepared to stop the game before the dog losses focus.

If certain toys/games get it over excited then don't encourged it until you have some control.

It really is seasy but most people have an issue when it goes pear shaped & there was plenty of warning,just like toddlers

When Pele was a puppy she was a feral little pirahna. I used to deliberately wind her up until she was grabbing and nipping me :D Then I'd stand still with arms folded and look away. The first time her behaviour got worse (extinction burst) 'cos she didn't get a reaction :laugh: Then she sat out of frustration. YAY!!! "Good girl" and then the game started. Next time Pele sat more quickly. Within a short time (5 - 10 minutes) she was sitting every time I stopped the game. She learned self control and how to switch on and switch off :)

I had also been working on the watch command since the day she came home. By the time we got to obedience classes when she'd finished her vaccinations I could focus Pele back onto me after she'd have an on-lead wild moment with another puppy. Her "brains" would be back in her head, but the other puppies would be feral for the rest of the class :laugh: She has fantastic self control :laugh:

Lyn- he is NOT naughty.

Naughty is when a pup KNOWS the rules, and then breaks them.Your puppy does not yet know human rules ....

What your puppy is doing is playing ....as he would have with his littermates! Puppies bounce, and nip, and run, and yip. When a puppy does this too hard to its mum or a brother/sister, they will growl and perhaps the mother will nip him ... he gets told!!

Use a LOW voice .... and remember, puppies live IN THE MOMENT.

By the time you yell at him, pick him up, and put him in his crate.... he has NO idea why :laugh:

Lyn- what did you research before you got your very cute puppy?

Did you read some bits about how dogs behave?

Did you read all about your chosen breed, and what they may be like?

apologies if you have done all this :thumbsup:

In your post, you seemed so surprised and a bit angry that your pup did this............... when it is absolutely perfectly normal :rofl:

CLICK HERE and have a read :laugh:

also,

CLICK HERE

oakways on the money :laugh:

dont shake cans they scare the poo out of dogs and can sensitise them to loud noises later on if you use it as a fear device. And dont shove a dog. You can hrt a 9 week old quite easily. If you do scruff you dont hold them up, you scruff and growl untl the tantrum stops.

Remember dogs dont speak english. They dont know what NO means at all. You're better off giving a low growl or a BAAAH in a grumbly voice and firmly.

I've heard people say this people, what kind of strength would you use to do the scruff though, people can under do it or over do it.

Edited by MEH

My puppy biting tips are:

1. yelp in a high pitched voice and cease play, resume play when puppy is calm again, redirecting puppy to an appropriate biting object (like a toy or nylabone)

2. yelp in a high pitched voice and calmly remove puppy to time out area OR walk away yourself

pups that are more persistent may require stronger incentives to stop this behaviour such as lightly scruffing as has been previously suggested.

My labrador puppy was very mouthy (and those puppy teeth are very sharp!). I found no. 2 to be most helpful for stopping biting with her.

Good luck

Edit: double post

Also, yelping may excite some puppies. Instead of yelping, you could try saying uh-uh or BAH or something similar. Or you can just cease interacting with the puppy when they bite too hard

Edited by aussielover