Are Your Dogs People Magnets?

~Rumour~

I have corgis and they attract a lot of attention from all ages. We once had a man chase after us with his little baby because she wanted to have a pat. The dogs just sit there smiling, happy to be touched.

One thing I have noticed is that they attract a lot of asian people and we often get asian tourists wanting to take photos of them. A few months ago we were bombarded by a large group of exchange students that just couldn't get enough of them!

We also attract a lot of men around their 40s who make all the "Oh where's the Queen?", "Better roll out the red carpet", "Oh, look, royal dogs!" comments which get tiring very quickly.

Edited by Mim

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can barely leave my house without someone commenting on Honey or wanting a pat. :)

I find Golden Retrievers are huge people magnets, I imagine because they appear so beautiful and non threatening and most people have one in their lives or past somehow.

I even had one guy pull his car over, jump out and ask for a pat! :thumbsup:

Luckily Honey is an absolute tart, she loves the attention and will sit calmly and take a pat from anyone.

Sasha is a magnet for all people of all ages - they love her because she is so big, but so cute and placid looking. Unfortunately I have to ask people to approach her in a certain way though as she is afraid of strangers approaching her, which scares some people off.

If only I had a dollar for everytime I heard the 'if you put a saddle on that you could ride it' comment - or the 'that's a big dog' comment.

I do love it when kids tell her how cute she is though, that she's a good looking dog, or when people take the time to ask me about her - and what kind of dog she is.

Chloe... well, who DOESN'T love an adorable grey face? :thumbsup:

My dog is more a people repellent rather than a people magnet. :thumbsup: People tend to avoid us and give us a wide berth.

On the other hand, I have been on a few occasions stopped by adorable elderly gentlemen to admire and coo over Emma. Quite often they claim they have had Rotties or other large breeds in their youth. :)

I have the exact same thing with my dog (a dobe). I get everything from people picking up their children and small dogs and crossing the road to avoid us, to people racing over and nearly getting hit by cars to come and see us. My dog loves everyone I like, he's fine with all people unless they're being aggressive or acting strangely (eg people who yell or who are drunk etc), and he loves the attention when he gets it. It's so funny, he seems to have learned about 1000 different words that could possibly mean he's about to get a pat - anything like, oh what a cute/handsome dog or hello etc and he's over to them immediately, ears back and head exposed for maximum patting access.

Mainly I get men, children like him because they think he looks like scooby doo but their parents often stop them from patting him. If a woman does come over, they have almost always had a dobe before.

I have also been asked if I want to part with my dog lol and I'm often asked how much he cost. People, when I ask them to guess reckon it must be over the 2k mark, but crazy thing is he's not pure and I only paid just over $300 for him. He just turned out to be a very good looking, very sensible and smart sort of dog.

Interestingly, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground with him. People either think he's just about the best dog they've ever seen, or they hate/fear him so much they can't even walk past.

Kivi is so friendly and striking that he attracts a lot of attention from all sorts. He has it figured out. If he goes and sits in front of someone and looks up at them he gets a cuddle and maybe even a treat if he's REALLY lucky. He's a funny dog. Sometimes he just is determined to greet someone. Particularly if they are meditating or sitting quietly apart from the action.

Erik attracts young men with small dogs and women that have big, tough dogs for some reason. He gets people smiling at the dog park because he just has this way of running around full of life. He is good fun. People like a fun dog, although they don't want one! He looks like a handful and he is. :thumbsup: Kids like Erik as well because he's small.

Oscar gets a LOT of attention, I went to a market with a family member and she couldn't believe how often we get stopped. We got so much attention we invested in a harness from K9 Pro that says 'Please give me space- Do not pet', not because of aggression but because people would approach without asking to pat/play/talk to him and he is already an EXTREMELY EXCITABLE dog so all of that was going against our training.

I find we mainly get men (of all ages), some older women (usually 40+), kids will often point oooo and aaaa at a distance but very rarely approach us. I find that when parents see us they actually pulled their children away, Oscar may not even be looking at them and it makes me wonder by doing such things are they making their children fear larger dogs?

When our club had our australia day exabition we had a fairly wide range of dogs there and i thought about this too, over all the fluffy dogs got the most attention ( Aussie, std Poodle, mini poodle and GRxPoodle) and the "short coated" dogs were were mostly ignored (staffy, kelpies ect) the majority of the people that paid attention to diesel were (for want of a better term) derro's asking where i got my pitty :thumbsup:

At several shows recently with a friends' tiny baby black pug couple of shows for socialization and a couple more where she was entered - little Miss Personality Plus had even the most hardened showies cooing and ahhing and non-showies were taking huge detours to get to her pen. We joked that we should start selling tickets, we would have made a fortune.

He Who Wields the Spanners is always happy to hold a pug or two in the street while I dash into a store, he says they are chick magnets and more than once I have heard a squeal "Men in Black dogs!" and young ladies dash up to him and ask for a cuddle. He says, sadly, "But it's the dogs they want to cuddle, not me!" :thumbsup::cheer::clap:

Pug addicts are a breed unto themselves, though. Last week I was stopped in the supermarket car park by a complete stranger. I had no dogs with me, but she had spotted the "Pug On Board" sign on the car and whipped out her mobile phone to proudly show me endless pictures of her own pug! I have been known myself to cross the street and accost complete strangers to "talk Pug". :thumbsup:

Indi

post-10374-1298611626_thumb.jpg

Indi comes to work every day and it's interesting how most customers are attracted to her, however I used to bring my big male (20 kgs heavier than Indi) and most people assumed because he came to work he was a guard dog and were scared of him - I don't know whether it's because Indi's a very feminine shepherd and her longcoat makes her seem softer. My last female longcoat was very dark and I found people assumed she wasn't friendly because she was so dark. I really feel size and colour makes a difference with some people.

found this quite funny i walk my two adult dogs together 99% of the time, people avoid us most of the time because their black muscular, and solid ..pun not intended for the black bit, but when i walk one of them with a light coloured dog(creams people do not avoid??).

I totally agree with the darker the colour the meaner people think they are, my dogs love people!

but normally the guys between 20-30 look at my pair and will pat and the oldies admire mostly from a distance how well behaved they are laying down at the shops, and then there at the parents to hold onto their kids extreamly tight hahah as i pull both dogs back as sometimes they want to sniff all the people walking past to see what is in their grocery bag that might just happen to be for them :thumbsup: .

so it makes people take a wide birth.

Tonka gets people of all ages and both sexes. We get a lot of wonder from people who know the papillon breed but have never seen one in real life. A lot of people take a photo of him (including once a lollypop man who sent the photo to his mother as they used to have a Pap). Tonka is also good with kids, especially toddlers, and I get a lot of old ladies too.

My dog seems to attract toddlers (eek) and children up to the age of about 8 or so. They come running to pat her. And then I have to explain "she's not a toy".

She also attracts retired farmers being a farm dog bitsa.

She tends to repel some adults, especially some of the more feral sort. And she loves to encourage that by barking and lunging at them, usually after they stare at her then decide to cross to the opposite side of the road.

Charlie the OES gets attention from everyone, all the time. People slow down in cars, stop and stare, run up to us, change directions to walk past us - you name it. i think most people are in awe some his size and the fluffy coat. Funnily enough, teen and young men tend to really go nuts over him!

The English Setters seem to attract a bit of attention - mostly people who are curious about their breed.

The weimaraner gets a little bit of attention but some people are a little wary.

The westies get TONNES of attention when we're out and about - from kids to adaults to elderly people. Lots of people stop to say how gorgeous they are or ask silly questions like 'are they twins'!!! Kids love them for their cuteness factor. Elderly people generally comment on how it's rare to see 'westies' around but always leave with a smile on their face because 'they're so lovely' :thumbsup::thumbsup:

I can't go for a walk without someone saying soemthing or patting them! :thumbsup:

The kelpie tends to attract men - especially tradies or elderly 'country' looking men - 'nice lookin' kelpie you got there luv'. :thumbsup:

Some people at one of the agility clubs I go to want to steal him!! :cheer:

The spaniel cross - who's a boy - gets comments on how 'pretty' he is :clap:

Edited by westielover

My dogs attract everybody :thumbsup:

Because they are so beautiful

I was at the vets today with a couple of my dogs getting their needles and my big boy received big cuddles from a young girl who was obviously connected with someone who works there.

She did call him a Bulldog though :cheer: but she was so cute

Bullmastiffs just attract everyone