Horrid Shocking Cryptorchid

shortstep

Not brand new study, but first time I had seen it.

2009 Jul;113(1-4):187-95. Epub 2008 Jul 8.

Relationship of cryptorchidism with sex ratios and litter sizes in 12 dog breeds.

Gubbels EJ, Scholten J, Janss L, Rothuizen J.

Genetic Counselling Services, Eijkerstraat 42, 6269 BN Margraten, The Netherlands. [email protected]

Abstract

The aim of this study was to identify the influence of genetic carriership for cryptorchidism on litter sizes and sex ratios in the offspring. Weaning data of 11,230 litters in 12 purebred dog breeds were evaluated. Parents were classified as cryptorchidism 'carriers' © when at least one of their offspring was found cryptorchid. Subsequently the effects of 'carrier' and 'non-carrier' (NC) parents on their litters were studied. In litters from C x C parents we found an increased number of males per litter in all breeds, a reduced number of females per litter in 8 breeds and an increased litter size in 11 breeds in comparison with litters from NC x NC parents. Over all breeds the effects on litter size, on number of males per litter and on sex ratio were highly significant. Mixed litters from C x NC and NC x C did not show these effects and were not significantly different from the NC x NC offspring. Our results suggest a general mechanism in the dog species which causes cryptorchidism as well as increased male/female ratios and increased litter sizes. A consequence of such a mechanism is that selection in favor of increasing reproduction output frustrates selective efforts to eliminate cryptorchidism.

For full report (Pdf)

http://www6.svsu.edu/~gmlange/461LC4.pdf

BTW I just added 'Horrid Shocking' as I wanted to see if more people looked at the post with those word in the title. I am doing a study on the topic.

Edited by shortstep

Not brand new study, but first time I had seen it.

2009 Jul;113(1-4):187-95. Epub 2008 Jul 8.

Relationship of cryptorchidism with sex ratios and litter sizes in 12 dog breeds.

Gubbels EJ, Scholten J, Janss L, Rothuizen J.

Genetic Counselling Services, Eijkerstraat 42, 6269 BN Margraten, The Netherlands. [email protected]

Abstract

The aim of this study was to identify the influence of genetic carriership for cryptorchidism on litter sizes and sex ratios in the offspring. Weaning data of 11,230 litters in 12 purebred dog breeds were evaluated. Parents were classified as cryptorchidism 'carriers' © when at least one of their offspring was found cryptorchid. Subsequently the effects of 'carrier' and 'non-carrier' (NC) parents on their litters were studied. In litters from C x C parents we found an increased number of males per litter in all breeds, a reduced number of females per litter in 8 breeds and an increased litter size in 11 breeds in comparison with litters from NC x NC parents. Over all breeds the effects on litter size, on number of males per litter and on sex ratio were highly significant. Mixed litters from C x NC and NC x C did not show these effects and were not significantly different from the NC x NC offspring. Our results suggest a general mechanism in the dog species which causes cryptorchidism as well as increased male/female ratios and increased litter sizes. A consequence of such a mechanism is that selection in favor of increasing reproduction output frustrates selective efforts to eliminate cryptorchidism.

For full report (Pdf)

http://www6.svsu.edu/~gmlange/461LC4.pdf

BTW I just added 'Horrid Shocking' as I wanted to see if more people looked at the post with those word in the title. I am doing a study on the topic.

Doing a study on the topic of Horrid and Shocking?

Can you do a study on......5 minutes of my time that I will never get back?

Whippets,

I am sorry that reading the short bit about Cryptorchid took 5 mins of your time you will never get back.

Besides wasiting your time, did you find it interesting? I did and have some thoughts about it.

For example, if a time were to come when breeders are pushed to deomonstrate vigor by increasing litter size, could this accidently result in an increase in crytp with in the breed?

shortstep - I honestly think you will get more topic related discussion if you edit the title of the thread and remove the hype words :) Then, those who pop in will be the ones genuinely interested :D

x 2.

The words "horrid and shocking" combined with the fact that it was in the news forum (I search all new posts, not by forum) almost made me pass it over. But I looked just in case there was a decent comment on crptorchidism. I hadn't seen any references to the study previously so I'm glad I looked.

Not sure I really want to be a part of your study on people reactions, though.

I had already looked at this post and the quoted study (which is interesting, but really only confirms what I have believed for a while), but I looked again when the title changed to see if anything new or exciting had been added...it hadn't.

Edited by New Age Outlaw

well I've never heard of cyptorchidism... and it sounds almost evil to me and goes very well with the words 'horrid' and 'shocking' :confused:

I guess you need to put a post up that says "disturbing and hideous stationary" which is more neutral :laugh:

I wanted to know what Cyptorchid was and I still don't know, couldn't be bothered to read the strange thing that was there.

So what is it ??

I am blonde by the way if it is something simple, too tired to get the dictionary out.lol

Edited by melcatlady