Vacuum's!

tommygirl

3 GSDs and 1 WSSD = a lot of hair!

Dyson DC15 - upright, no loss of suction, bagless, great on carpet and hard floors.

Vax Linx Stick vacuum - lightweight, relatively quiet, battery operated, keeps running at full power until needs recharging with no loss of suction, bagless. We take it with us if we're staying somewhere that allows the furkids inside so that we can do a quick cleanup before we leave as a thankyou.

Bissel Pro Heat Carpet Cleaner - for cleaning up any accidents on hard floors or carpets. Very easy to use - just fill the water tank, add the separate solution tank and use like an upright vacuum.

(Tweety @ 8th Mar 2011 - 02:20 PM)

The vacuum cleaner I use is a 'Huzbaand' model. It's awesome.

I have one of these models too - highly recommended! :laugh:

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't even know the brand name of mine, it's a hand me down and an old style semi industrial vacuum cleaner. It's awesome. I also have a hand held Black & Decker which does the job too. Funny thing I got bailed up by a woman in the shopping centre after I'd purchased it and she said "Oh good luck, I have one of those and it doesn't suck up anything". I find that it works efficiently, so not sure what she was trying to clean! :laugh:

We have a bagless Hoover... not sure what model. We chose it over the equivalent Dyson because you can really pull it apart to get the stuff out (and rinse it off), where the Dysons you couldn't actually remove the full cylinder. Also it got stuff out of the carpet that the demo Dyson missed. Maybe we were had by a sales person - I'm happy to be wrong on that point.

It's been excellent for everything. Only con as far as I can tell is that the power head is quite heavy, so not always easy to manouver.

Three dogs (one of the shep/husky mega shedding variety), two messy sibling sisters and lots of messy visitors in our household.

My poor mother got conned into buying a door to door sold upright Kirby with boxes full of attachments for $3,500. Gulp. Anyway my Wertheim was in the shop for repairs so I borrowed the Kirby (and instruction manual) and fell in love. It converts to a carpet shampoor. It converts to a hand held. I converts to a sander (not that I have a use for that but some might). So I did what any normal person would do and got a second hand one off ebay for only $350!!!!!!! I spent another $100 on ebay getting some of the missing attachments, lots of original bags and shampoo fluid but that is still way cheaper than what I would've paid for a new Dyson or Wertheim! The thing I've discovered about the Kirby is that no-one seems to know how to use them properly (including my mother still) so they don't use the accessories and they hardly even use the vacuums themselves so a second hand one is often like getting a new one. Apparently they last forever and I have noticed a big difference in the amount of debris they pick up over my Wertheim. They also fluff the carpet back up. They have a headlight. What's not to love! If you don't mind reading a manual, pulling it apart and adding other bits and pieces you will actually find it does the jobs it says it will very well. Heavy if you have to lift it up and down a lot of stairs though.

Three dogs (one of the shep/husky mega shedding variety), two messy sibling sisters and lots of messy visitors in our household.

My poor mother got conned into buying a door to door sold upright Kirby with boxes full of attachments for $3,500. Gulp. Anyway my Wertheim was in the shop for repairs so I borrowed the Kirby (and instruction manual) and fell in love. It converts to a carpet shampoor. It converts to a hand held. I converts to a sander (not that I have a use for that but some might). So I did what any normal person would do and got a second hand one off ebay for only $350!!!!!!! I spent another $100 on ebay getting some of the missing attachments, lots of original bags and shampoo fluid but that is still way cheaper than what I would've paid for a new Dyson or Wertheim! The thing I've discovered about the Kirby is that no-one seems to know how to use them properly (including my mother still) so they don't use the accessories and they hardly even use the vacuums themselves so a second hand one is often like getting a new one. Apparently they last forever and I have noticed a big difference in the amount of debris they pick up over my Wertheim. They also fluff the carpet back up. They have a headlight. What's not to love! If you don't mind reading a manual, pulling it apart and adding other bits and pieces you will actually find it does the jobs it says it will very well. Heavy if you have to lift it up and down a lot of stairs though.

I was trying to think of the Kirby (couldnt remember the name!) was hoping someone would mention them. I had a friend who had a very short stint selling them door to door (about 10 years ago) and I remember from the demo he did for us I thought it was good but VERY expensive. Good idea to Ebay it.

Dyson here. If you get a barrel, get the power head for pet hair and carpets, and a flat floor tool for the hard floors (this tool also gets spiders and webs off the ceiling :laugh: Don't ask me about the spiders on the ceiling, right!?)

Otherwise, the upright is great for carpets.

And you should wait until Hardly Normal or Good Guys is having a sale, and whip in and buy it then. I bought a DC29 (think) for $399 from the Good Guys earlier this year. They are normally round $600.

Meilie Dog and Cat one seems to be very good too,but it is bit heavier to lug around than the Dyson.

I have a real cheapy here. But it has been ok It has put up with me for so long. Sadly the handle is now held together with hundred mile an hour tape :laugh:

Time to get a new one soon. What do Dysons normally cost?

eta and the lid thingy is broken too.

Hubby normally does the vaccuming. I just break it

Edited by stonebridge

Look at it as an investment for your sanity :laugh::o I have gone through heaps of vacuums and I get really shirty when they don't work! The best thing about the Dyson is its brilliant engineering...everything comes apart easily if necessary for cleaning and the after sales service is fantastic. Worth every cent in my opinion. I would look for sales though and try to get the best price you can.

I'm so shocked at the prices of Dysons :rofl:

Another happy Dyson owner here. They might be expensive to purchase initially, but they last - mine is 8 years old and still going strong. Mum had one that was a good couple of years older than mine, one of the first Dyson models that came out, and it was retired only this year. I spent just over $100 sending mine away for a service last year and its as good as new again.

I want a vaccum cleaner that can do everything itself cause I loath vaccuming.

Roomba's do it for you!!

I love the you tube video's of the cats sitting on top of the Roomba as it does its rounds. Can't help but laugh. (

) Edited by TheFenstar

I have two Dyson's. One for in the house- you beaut model with power head ect. and one for the dog room that has a special waterproofed floor so only need the flat surface attachment. But don't forget to clean the filter's every 6 months.

We have a barrel Dyson - no complaints. Must be about 5 years old now. I find the clear barrel handy for showing me exactly how much filth I've sucked up during my travels so I know when to empty.

A bit OT - has anyone tried a Scooba (the mopping version of a Roomba)?

We have the Miele for big clean ups, but also have a Roomba robot cleaner that comes on and does the house on its own every day. Has saved our marriage!! :wave:

Another with a roomba robot. I love mine.

The vacuum cleaner I use is a 'Huzbaand' model. It's awesome. I would recommend every one get one

The 'Huzbaand' is used probably every 3-4 days and picks up all the hair and dirt from our 5 dogs and 1 guinea pig.

Sometimes the 'Huzbaand' breaks down or can get a bit lazy, but I give it a good kick up the back and it's good to go once again...

:wave:

I want one!! :rofl: :D

I'm sadly excited by this topic! I recently got the Hoover Core Pet (cyclonic bagless) I love it!

I got it on sale at Godfreys for $270 reduced from $560. I originally went to get the (cheaper) Hoover Dog and Cat on sale, the one with the power head, but the sales person reckoned this one was better, it doesn't need the power head coz it has super-suction. The suction itself powers spinning brushes in the head which pick up pet hairs. It's quite light, really easy to push, pretty easy to empty and picks up hair really well, even the sticky cat whiskers that I always had to pick up by hand!

It also comes with a hard floor head and pet drying and brushing attachments but I haven't used them yet :wave: