Poor Little Tree Frog :(

Crazy Daisy

I went out to feed the dogs and see a baby green tree frog jump out of the laundry with Archer in Hot pursuit. I race out after him to see him catch the frog and eat it. I pry open his mouth but the poor frog is gone :rofl: While I'm telling him how naughty that was he runs to the grass and starts vomiting and up comes the frog. I go and get the dustpan and........it's still alive :wave:

I poured cold water on it and put it in the garden well away from the dog run. Poor little froggy being eaten by a Golden. Let's hope he lives to tell the tale.

Has anyone else's dog eaten something that came back up alive?

This will sound gross but when my dad was a kid he was a King Scout and spent a lot of time roughing it in the bush. He caught a snake in a creek one day to eat and when he gutted it open out popped all these live frogs! And when we were older we used to have green tree snakes by the house and they'd swallow the frogs whole - we'd hear the frogs screaming. So I'm sure Archer's froggy is dazed but fine!

It didn't come back out alive but I remember a story in our local newspaper years ago about a GR puppy who swallowed a live brown snake. The pup was taken to my vet and I think the newspaper clipping was up on the noticeboard at the surgery for a while.

http://www.news-mail.com.au/story/2006/08/...ck-for-curious/

Edited by HollyMilo

This will sound gross but when my dad was a kid he was a King Scout and spent a lot of time roughing it in the bush. He caught a snake in a creek one day to eat and when he gutted it open out popped all these live frogs! And when we were older we used to have green tree snakes by the house and they'd swallow the frogs whole - we'd hear the frogs screaming. So I'm sure Archer's froggy is dazed but fine!

Wow that's incredible! Wonder if they all survived or died soon after "release".

In Tasmania, Copperhead Snakes will eat vast quantities of small frogs as they come out of the water for the first time.

If you catch a Copperhead and hold it up by the tail, all the little frogs will literally tumble out and hop away!

Hope the frog is OK.. :D

Keep in mind that green frogs also give off a toxin that is poisonous! Usually a dog will lick it then keep away..usually :):cry: Mine dont touch them at all, we have heaps, all over the windows etc.. lovely.

very interesting about the snakes!

I got a pigeon out of my spins mouth, not 'swallowed', she was carrying it around right inside her big mouth and brought it to me but I had no idea it was in there!! I wiped the slime off and it flew away. I;m sure it would have been mentally scarred!!!

Edited by Monah

:) at your spin Monah. At least you know he has a soft mouth.

I did wipe out his mouth with a wet washer that is always on standby because of the dreaded cane toads. Normally the tree frogs stay well away from the dogs area, this one must have been looking for an adventure. :cry:

I can't believe how many poor frogs get eaten alive. :D

my dogs have spent the last 2 weeks eating baby blue tongues, unfortunatly none of the attacked ones have survived :cry:

BUT we did find one b4 they did & resuced it & took it to the bush :hug:

edited to add below -

oh and once my cav chased a butterfly, she jumped up to catch it & i thought she missed as i saw it fly away, but i was wrong, she came over and sat near me as if nothing was amiss or in her mouth, just looked at me with her sad eyes, then opened her mouth and out flew this beautiful butterfly, then off she ran to chase it again BUT this time it flew up to high for her to get

Edited by jazzy4

Years ago my Heeler/Kelpie X brought something over to me in his mouth and not knowing what it was I put out my hand for him to drop whatever it was into it. I was horrified when he deposited the tiniest little baby mouse(fully furred with eyes open) into my hand, somewhat wet from being in the dogs mouth but otherwise unharmed. Don't know how he managed to pick it up without harming it. Now I'm more wary about putting out my hand if I don't know what my dogs have.

my dogs have spent the last 2 weeks eating baby blue tongues, unfortunatly none of the attacked ones have survived :cry:

BUT we did find one b4 they did & resuced it & took it to the bush :hug:

over jan/feb [possibly as far back as dec], i've rescued probably 15 or 16 [separately but sometimes two at a time] baby blue tongues from my back yard --- both my dogs alert me and bobbie, my cat, sits there and eyeballs them [she got too close to one and it latched on to her cheek, but thankfully no harm was done] :)

several years ago we had a field mouse nest under our stairs --- bella went nuts cuz she could hear them but couldn't get to them. we baited them and i had to be extra vigilant watching carefully when the litter began to venture out of their cubby --- i managed to catch 6 as they each tried to escape but bella beat me to one and bolted out to the back yard; it must have been a funny sensation for her to have a furry thing tickle her tongue and she stopped and gave it up to me, in one piece and still alive :cry:

that particular day was heart-breaking cuz those lil mices were the cutest :hug: --- the ones i managed to catch i kept [for the duration] in a small glass fishbowl and gave them wee nuggets of cheese; kind of like their final meal but the best meal evah!

my dogs have spent the last 2 weeks eating baby blue tongues, unfortunatly none of the attacked ones have survived :)

BUT we did find one b4 they did & resuced it & took it to the bush :(

over jan/feb [possibly as far back as dec], i've rescued probably 15 or 16 [separately but sometimes two at a time] baby blue tongues from my back yard --- both my dogs alert me and bobbie, my cat, sits there and eyeballs them [she got too close to one and it latched on to her cheek, but thankfully no harm was done] :)

we don't know where these babies are to be able to get to them b4 the dogs do, as we have found them all over the bakyard, the first we know about it, is when the dogs start to bark, we fly out and try to get to them b4 any harm is done, they don''t attack the big ones, only the babies

it is great that your able to rescue them.

I am horrifed and disturbed that you would have heard them screaming :(