When Do Mastiffs Reach Full Size?

GABBA

GABBA, I think it was the open endedness and naievity of your question that set off "alarm bells" if you like. It did come across as you not knowing a very basic fact about an animal you are inquiring about and own. Particulary the "is it safe to breed" question. Do some research on your breed, don't look for "general answers" such as you'll get on a forum for hard facts. Read, read, read on your chosen breed and then read some more. Talk to the breeder or contact other mastiff people to learn more. Read books on breeding in general. If you just wanted to know when a Mastiff reaches maturity, ask that question. If you are interested in Breeding, ask questions pertaining to that. I'm sure you, like others on this forum are simply interested in learning more about your breed, no one will find fault with that.

Most people on here just want to make sure a breed like a mastiff doesn't pass down unwanted genes. That is why the health tests are important. I honestly don't think any of them went off at you at all???? if you wanted an answer why is it so hard for you to take some of them into consideration. Health tests are important to make sure the pups lead a happy healthy life isn't that what most breeders want?? I don't breed dogs but i know if i was going to in the far future health tests would be first on my list.

Thank you to all the people that genuinely answered the question, without any malice.

To those that read what i wrote, and automatically assumed i am going to start breeding, and all the rest of it, why dont you take a look at my other posts, have any of them been about breeding, either way, i dont need to justify myself. I have told you my intentions, thats all you'll get.

Re. the above. Clearly i did to research, however when someone said it was 2 years to fill out in lieu of 3 i asked the question.

.... It looks like this thread will go no wehere, it may aswell be closed. Its too difficult to get a decent answer. Maybe people just just trying winging it with their dogs, instead of asking questions, as not to offend anyone.

You wrote Secondly, (and i know this is somewhat of a taboo subject), but is it safe for a mastiff to sire a litter (male dog)?

Silly me for thinking you were asking the question, [is it safe for a mastiff to sire a litter. :thumbsup:

I spent a lot of time writing you a post to help to get your on your way to learning how to breed a mastiff safely.

Ok I am now going to follow your directions and look up all your post and see what else you have said before so that I can fully know your inner soul....NOT.

Edited by shortstep

Here we go, i should have known that asking such a question would get all the nuts out of the woodwork. Everyone is scared people will become backyard breeders just because they spention the word "breed" in a post.

Everyone needs to get off their high horse, and realise they are not the only ones that care about dogs and animal welfare in general. I ask the questions to learn more about the breed. I bet if i asked what colour is my dog supposed to be when fully grown, no one would have a problem with it.

All this talk of a pet being sold on a main register, what is this supposed to mean?! So if we buy a dog, and its on the main register, we have to treate it as an object. My dog physically conforms with the breed standard, but is treated like a pet at home, not some object, that is in and out of show rings, etc etc.

So, i ask people to think twice about other peoples intentions when replying.

Actually, I answered both of your questions factually and politely. I will not bother to reply in the future if this makes me a "nut".

A harsh reply (and it crossed my mind) would be...

No it's not safe, breeding a mastiff before it is physically mature means the testicles will be too small and the structures of the testicle (semifirous tubules, prostate ect) will be possibly ejaculated too, causing the dog to be permenantly infertile. The only way to determine physical maturity is when the diamater around the dog's head is exactly half that of it's rib cage and 1/5 that of the testes.

Is this true? Who knows... maybe do some research to find out.

I thought you got helpful, straight forward advice given the question asked.

A harsh reply (and it crossed my mind) would be...

No it's not safe, breeding a mastiff before it is physically mature means the testicles will be too small and the structures of the testicle (semifirous tubules, prostate ect) will be possibly ejaculated too, causing the dog to be permenantly infertile. The only way to determine physical maturity is when the diamater around the dog's head is exactly half that of it's rib cage and 1/5 that of the testes.

Is this true? Who knows... maybe do some research to find out.

I thought you got helpful, straight forward advice given the question asked.

Nice, informative answer.

All this talk of a pet being sold on a main register, what is this supposed to mean?! So if we buy a dog, and its on the main register, we have to treate it as an object. My dog physically conforms with the breed standard, but is treated like a pet at home, not some object, that is in and out of show rings, etc etc.

I could ask likewise of you. Just because my pets are shown does not make them objects.

I could ask likewise of you. Just because my pets are shown does not make them objects.

Mine are not objects either.

They are pets that are loved and included in my family - much more than some "only" pet dogs that I know. I take my dogs into the show and trial rings because we enjoy it. They are happy, wagging their tails and the enjoy the interaction and reward they get from me putting the time into training them to a level where they can gain passes at trials and show well enough to gain awards in the ring as well. I find that fact you state the above extremely objectionable and insulting.

You got some sound advice and it was not rude. Maybe you did not really want to hear that your knowledge is lacking, but you asked on a public forum and you got answers that I personally agree with. Breed from a non-health tested individual dog that has not been assessed either by breeder or peers as an exceptional specimen and you are dicing with the hearts and happiness of the poor unfortunates that are potentially going to give loving home to YOUR puppies. My first dog was one of those and she took a piece of my heart when she died at 3 and a half.

The way you worded you OP does sound like you are going to try and breed your dog. No I am not a show snob or a nut, to bred dogs that are not health tested or peer/breeder reviewed is nuts in my personal opinion. If that offends you I frankly don't care.

Edited by OSoSwift

I bought a dog on main register to show and never did for various reasons. I was looking for a showable pup and got one but sadly circumstances didn't work out (not because of the dog) So I have a pet on main. It happens more often than you think. I'm guessing there are a few people that buy a dog with intent to show and dont. Now I look at him and he is a very handsome boy. Spitting image of his dad (who was a grand champion if I recall?) with a "look at me, damn I'm gorgeous" attitude. I think he is a great specimen of the breed and wish I had shown him. I thought about breeding him but then thought I think he is awesome but I am not a breeder or shower. He looks great to me but I cant breed from him just because I think he is a great example. There were never any breeders local to get him looked over so I decided it wasn't the right thing to do. He may very well be the best shiba ever bred but I'm happy for that to be my personal opinion. Without an expert looking him over and agreeing, that is how it will stay.

I never thought about breeding him without showing or some kind of assessment first. As cute as puppies are I figure my boy is special and I dont need to put dozens of badly bred versions of him out there just to prove he is an awesome boy.

Also, as a pet I am glad I dont have to deal with the issues of a stud boy. Someone mentioned ( in the breeders section? ) about how the boys can change personality after they have been used at stud? It is worth reading.

I thought you had a Dogue? Yet you often call your dog a Mastiff..... technically a Mastiff is an entirely different breed.

If you are talking about your Dogue, I know some who have not properly matured until 4yrs although other owners might have different advice.

Mine are not objects either.

They are pets that are loved and included in my family - much more than some "only" pet dogs that I know. I take my dogs into the show and trial rings because we enjoy it. They are happy, wagging their tails and the enjoy the interaction and reward they get from me putting the time into training them to a level where they can gain passes at trials and show well enough to gain awards in the ring as well. I find that fact you state the above extremely objectionable and insulting.

You got some sound advice and it was not rude. Maybe you did not really want to hear that your knowledge is lacking, but you asked on a public forum and you got answers that I personally agree with. Breed from a non-health tested individual dog that has not been assessed either by breeder or peers as an exceptional specimen and you are dicing with the hearts and happiness of the poor unfortunates that are potentially going to give loving home to YOUR puppies. My first dog was one of those and she took a piece of my heart when she died at 3 and a half.

The way you worded you OP does sound like you are going to try and breed your dog. No I am not a show snob or a nut, to bred dogs that are not health tested or peer/breeder reviewed is nuts in my personal opinion. If that offends you I frankly don't care.

I agree totally with ososwift.

I find the above bolded comment more insulting than any of the good advice you have been given :thumbsup:

I agree totally with ososwift.

I find the above bolded comment more insulting than any of the good advice you have been given

I agree as well and i don't show yet i found that insulting.

Ive been to a lot of dog shows and i also find the people love their dogs and their dogs love being at the show getting all the attention.

Personally people who just breed for money i see them as looking at there dogs as objects (im not saying that you would breed for money)

Actually, I would be a bit stumped if someone who has gone to the trouble of getting aa pedigree dog asked what colour it was going to be when it was fully grown.

Hmmm....except maybe a breed that fades when clipped as per poodles. Silvers start out black. Reds can turn apricot :thumbsup:

Actually, I would be a bit stumped if someone who has gone to the trouble of getting aa pedigree dog asked what colour it was going to be when it was fully grown.

Hmmm....except maybe a breed that fades when clipped as per poodles. Silvers start out black. Reds can turn apricot :thumbsup:

Having a wheaten from pup to around two is like having a different breed each week but a mastiff, though?

Hmmm....except maybe a breed that fades when clipped as per poodles. Silvers start out black. Reds can turn apricot :banghead:

Having a wheaten from pup to around two is like having a different breed each week but a mastiff, though?

That wasn't the OP's question Sheridan. That was a hyperthetical one put out by another Doler. :banghead:

That wasn't the OP's question Sheridan. That was a hyperthetical one put out by another Doler.

No, it was a comment from the OP , originally ...

I ask the questions to learn more about the breed. I bet if i asked what colour is my dog supposed to be when fully grown, no one would have a problem with it.
from GABBA

That wasn't the OP's question Sheridan. That was a hyperthetical one put out by another Doler.

No, it was a comment from the OP , originally ...

I ask the questions to learn more about the breed. I bet if i asked what colour is my dog supposed to be when fully grown, no one would have a problem with it.
from GABBA

Ah. So it was.

Gabba has a Dogue

considering the number of truely terrible dogues being sold on main register, take your dog and show it, prove it has more to contribute to the breed then a pair of testicles. A lot of breeders are happy to hand out main reg papers to get high prices for them.

Hop on the Dogue forum, have some of the breeders there take at least a preliminary look at your dogs photos, then get the relevent health tests done and ensure he is not passing down health problems - god know enough Dogues have them too these days due to profit based breeding. Remember half the responsibility of creating healthy puppies lies with you