More Questions About My Foster Boy - Huey!

PoppyDog

We picked up our first foster (we may adopt him!) boy Huey last night. He's a 1 year old (they think) CKCS.

He's been sneezing a lot and won't eat at all! We've tried dry food, dry food and milk, a schmaco and natures gift wet food. Oh and OH offered him a bit of cheese! He didn't want any of it!

So I called the rescue group coordinator and she asked us to check his teeth. They seem fine. Then she suggested kennel cough! So we have him crated to keep him away from Poppy and to give him space becuse she just wants to play with him and he's so sleepy. Will also be getting him a vet Appt tomorrow!

Any other advice???

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We picked up our first foster (we may adopt him!) boy Huey last night. He's a 1 year old (they think) CKCS.

He's been sneezing a lot and won't eat at all! We've tried dry food, dry food and milk, a schmaco and natures gift wet food. Oh and OH offered him a bit of cheese! He didn't want any of it!

So I called the rescue group coordinator and she asked us to check his teeth. They seem fine. Then she suggested kennel cough! So we have him crated to keep him away from Poppy and to give him space becuse she just wants to play with him and he's so sleepy. Will also be getting him a vet Appt tomorrow!

Any other advice???

Has this dog served time in Quarantine before coming to you??

I was wondering about this .. he is not desexed..and has he had all his needles?

It is a bit of a risk always, bringing in a strange dog without knowing about vacc history/quarantine etc .. Hope all is well . Unfortunately, he & poppy were together yesterday :laugh:

He hasn't served anytime in quarantine that I know of. We sprung him straight from the Warra Animal Shelter.

Not sure if his vac is up to date as he was a stray. Will get his vac tomorrow at the vet though if he is well enough.

Poppy is completely vacc'd so apparently it's less likely she will catch it.

He's sleepy and not eating but other than that happy and affectionate and had been playing with Poppy but he is waaaay less energetic than her!

Poor little guy.

He hasn't served anytime in quarantine that I know of. We sprung him straight from the Warra Animal Shelter

:laugh:

Not sure if his vac is up to date as he was a stray. Will get his vac tomorrow at the vet though if he is well enough.

NO WAY should he have any sort of vaccine/worming if he is in the slightest bit off colour.. his immune system does not need another assault :cry:

There different types of kennel cough, and not all are covered by teh vacc.

Bordatella is a protobacterial cause of kennel cough. If Poppy has been vaccinated she is less likely to contract this so antibiotics are probably unneccessary.

ETA Kennel cough is like human flu. Vaccinations lessen the severity but don't neccessarily stop the dog contracting it. I stopped vaccinating for kennel cough years ago and haven't had a dog get it despite being out and about at trials etc. They build up a natural immunity.

Edited by Janba

Keep him crated and seperate from Poppy, at this point being off colour could be anything from kennel cough to incubating Parvo.

Obviously she has had contact with him, but you don't know what he may have picked up and being crated you can monitor him carefully until he sees the vet in the morning.

He should have been quarrantined, vaccinated and desexed before coming to you if it was done through a rescue group and not a life or death pound pickup.

fifi

Farrrrrk!!!

I am so angry and upset!!! He tested pos for Parvo!

How is it that they don't test for that before he leaves the pound??? I was told he was given a clear bill of health!!!

We are going to bleach our house from top to bottom! Throw his bedding and possibly the crate too!

God I hope Poppy will be okay! The vet said she shouldnt get it as she is vaxed.

I don't want to do this again!!!

Who told you the dog had a clean bill of health?

Had he been vet checked by the rescue group before you picked him up, it certainly doesn't sound like it from your posts.

Any dog coming from a Pound situation needs to be Quarantined, it is one rule that should never be broken, but time and time again rescue groups do just that.

I can understand your anger, but honestly if this was done correctly the risks would have been minimal.

What made u decide to have him tested for parvo? Was he given a parvo vacc in the kennels? I take it you wont be keeping him now. :hug: Its very disappointing that the rescue group dumped an unquarantined dog straight to an inexperienced foster carer. Not good at all.

Oh no that is DREADFUL.

The reason for quarantine is that there is an incubation period for most diseases. A dog could be checked by a vet at the pound, and come up with 100% good health. But if the dog has already contracted parvovirus, the dog wont get sick for another week or so.

Ethical Rescues have process whereby they quarantine all animals of unknown background, for a couple of weeks, so that if a pup does have parvo, it can't be spread to other dogs, and can't infect your property.

Now that you have parvo on your property, you will have to follow a special procedure to attempt to disinfect it, so other dogs, vaccinated and unvaccinated do not get sick.

How disappointing that a lovely , conscientious new foster carer has to experience this. Words fail me.....

So sorry to hear that this has happened to you, get all the advice re what you need to do now from the experienced people here, you need to clean the car as well that you transported him in etc as well, also unfortunately parvo can stay in the ground for over 12 months, I wouldn't be letting any dogs on your property until that time is over. Keep a close eye on Poppy, I hope that the rescue group has informed you of what to do now.

Edited by varicool

Huey is at the vet being treated. The rescue group is footing the bill! I didn't realize they were not operating in an ethical way by getting us to collect straight from the pound!

What do I need to do to protect Poppy in terms of cleaning and treating our yard?