No Wonder Ppl Go To Bybs

perth_girl

I absolutely agree that you should! There is 'normal' interrogation then there is the superior attitude that a lot of breeders have (not necessarily on here). As a groomer I hand out Dogzonline cards to clients for puppies but 99% end up going to pet shops as breeders have been rude, unhelpful and made my clients feel uncomfortable. I recently had one friend search for a pup, every single breeder was so rude (those that even bothered getting back to her) that she ended up with a different breed altogether - this was after I threatened to kill her if she bought BYB (which she very nearly did). This is not intended as breeder bashing, as I know they are just regular people and thus all sorts of personalities - but a lot do need to be more helpful in order to encourage Joe Public to go registered.

Excellent post. That was my general purpose for this thread. Alot of breeders need to see where the average dog buyer is coming from.

Some look down on people who go to a byb or petshop, but you never know, they might have been someone that a breeder has been too busy to email back or deemed not good enough from one email.

Edited by perth_girl

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I absolutely agree that you should! There is 'normal' interrogation then there is the superior attitude that a lot of breeders have (not necessarily on here). As a groomer I hand out Dogzonline cards to clients for puppies but 99% end up going to pet shops as breeders have been rude, unhelpful and made my clients feel uncomfortable. I recently had one friend search for a pup, every single breeder was so rude (those that even bothered getting back to her) that she ended up with a different breed altogether - this was after I threatened to kill her if she bought BYB (which she very nearly did). This is not intended as breeder bashing, as I know they are just regular people and thus all sorts of personalities - but a lot do need to be more helpful in order to encourage Joe Public to go registered.

Excellent post. That was my general purpose for this thread. Alot of breeders need to see where the average dog buyer is coming from.

Some look down on people who go to a byb or petshop, but you never know, they might have been someone that a breeder has been too busy to email back or deemed not good enough from one email.

Maybe they are thinking that dogs suffer to make pups that are dead easy to buy.

I know I do.

Im gathering perth girl that you havent actually picked up the phone and rung any breeders......

Why are you so aversive to calling breeders? If you really wanted an ACD, in 8 months of really trying you would have had no problems getting a nice puppy.

Also, because of where you live, it might mean you travelling interstate to view parents etc. That is life!

Perhaps some people are more suited to the lazy way of buying puppies... :)

Perhaps some people are more suited to the lazy way of buying puppies... :)

Oh my, that's a bit harsh, isn't it?

perth-girl - I'm sorry you got that response. It wasn't very welcoming or professional, imho. I totally understand standard replies, but one really should be a little personable in a standard response, I reckon. Email is becoming more and more the way people communicate and it's skill we probably all need to be working on - writing and reading since there are no voice or facial clues available.

You might want to give the breeder the benefit of the doubt and reply like several here have suggested - that yes, you'd be interested in the waitlist and would like to know about the puppies etc. Maybe that will open things up a bit - it certainly could be the way the breeder culls out crappy enquiries. Not everyone has as much grace in communication as we may wish. If they come back with a second email without answering any questions or offering anything, then I'd write them off.

I have been lucky to have good responses, some nearly as brief as yours but not nearly as abruptly stated, from breeders in the past when I was looking for Ridgies. I hope you can find a breeder for your chosen breed and that you find the perfect puppy match!

I don't believe it is harsh.

If the only attempts to contact breeders over the past 8 months has been via email then to me that indicates the OP is not being proactive enough.

There are dodgy breeders, there are time wasting buyers I get that, but we are not talking about rare breed. There have been suggestions to contact Connie Redhead in SA, and if you look at her puppy listing on DOL currently she specifically says to call.

If the OP wants to make a thread saying 'no wonder people go to BYB's' but had done nothing more than send email enquiries then its an unfair call on breeders. The breeder said to call her in the email response!!! and the OP still hasn't done that.

Some people are getting very defensive. I havent said anything against breeders. I have, however, said that SOME breeders need to step outside their box and look at it from a buyers point of view. Some dont want to do that, and thats fine...just dont always expect positive feedback.

I prefer email to phones because then the breeder is making a point of having some time so sit down and actually read my email, rather than be busily doing something and have the phone ring. Plus I also have a busy household, so making a time to call via email first would suit both sides.

I rang a couple of Staffy breeders many years ago for my friend who doesnt like talking on phones, and both of these breeders were in the middle of something and asked me to email them and they'd answer that when they werent so busy. Could hear alot of commotion in the background, so I did as they asked. Didnt hear back from either. I know this isnt the case for all breeders and I am certainly not clumping all breeders together, but it doesnt look good when you've had nothing but bad experiences from different breeders.

Im not being lazy. Im not being rude. Im not being naive. My title was 'No Wonder Ppl Go To Byb and Petshops', NOT 'Im going to a Byb or petshop!'.

Some people have PMed me about different ACD breeders and rescue companies, and thank you, I will follow up on those.

The breeder said to call her in the email response!!! and the OP still hasn't done that.

Because I dont want to hand out a non-refundable $100 deposit on a dog that hasnt been born yet to dogs that I havent even met!

In addition, it is wise for a breeder to sell a puppy to someone they feel comfortable with, they are going to be a mentor for many years to come

Ummm...most people just want to buy a puppy, not a lifelong relationship with it's breeder. Mentoring for show puppies, yes maybe, but mentoring for pets? Why?

My pet buyers are free to contact me with any training questions or breed questions they may have.

It is not a requirement but neither do I dump them the minute they have paid for their puppy. Many become good friends.

The question above is pretty short sighted really. Most of the puppies a breeder sell are to pet homes and very few end up in the ring.

Some people are getting very defensive. I havent said anything against breeders. I have, however, said that SOME breeders need to step outside their box and look at it from a buyers point of view. Some dont want to do that, and tha...

Perth girl

Breeders are also buyers and we need to go through all the leg work same as you.

Some people are getting very defensive. I havent said anything against breeders. I have, however, said that SOME breeders need to step outside their box and look at it from a buyers point of view. Some dont want to do that, and tha...

Perth girl

Breeders are also buyers and we need to go through all the leg work same as you.

I thought breeders would have it easier ….I would think that, especially if they know that you show and have experience … wouldn’t they want you to own one of theirs dogs?(of course taking into consideration that some may not want you to have their lines)

Edited by Fleuri

Perhaps some people are more suited to the lazy way of buying puppies... :laugh:

Oh my, that's a bit harsh, isn't it?

perth-girl - I'm sorry you got that response.

the OP was invited to ring and chose not to, what more do some of you want?

The breeder said to call her in the email response!!! and the OP still hasn't done that.

Because I dont want to hand out a non-refundable $100 deposit on a dog that hasnt been born yet to dogs that I havent even met!

and you have no idea if that is the breeders way of sorting out the tire kickers, who knows what may have happened if you had of taken up the invite. The only thing I disagreed with in the breeders response was the selling without papers.

Perth girl

Yep - no idea how many times I was knocked back when looking for my 1st pug in over 12 months it took to get her and it took me over another 12 months for my 2nd pug - I spent that year getting to know the breeder (interstate), after all I was wanting to let her know that her pup would be well cared for.

If the average pet owner knew what most breeders are dealing with when advertising a litter they would have a better understanding why so many breeders are precious where they place their pups.

I am in no hurry what so ever for my next Rottweiler litter, just about every breeder will say no matter how many problems that might come up with raising a litter of puppies, by far the hardest part is dealing with potential puppy buyers.

No one wants to hear about one of their pups ending up in a puppy farm, BYBers home or a dog dealers home. It is heart breaking to see some very nice lines that find their way in back yarders or dealers homes, this can only happen when breeders are either fools or fooled - not every potential puppy buyer is sincere and it can be very hard sometimes working out who is and who isn't.

and on the other side of the BYB coin...

- Some potential puppy buyers are not willing to wait for a puppy. They have to have it NOW.

- Some don't want to wait so they go buy a BYB from the local paper then call me for advice on a pup they bought that is deaf.

- Some potential puppy buyers ask to put their name on your list, want weekly updates and then forget to tell you that they bought a pup 3 weeks prior, when you have held one for them, and knocked back countless others that are more than willing to give a pup a good home.

so....no wonder some breeders can be grumpy shits. :laugh:

- Some potential puppy buyers are not willing to wait for a puppy. They have to have it NOW.

- Some don't want to wait so they go buy a BYB from the local paper then call me for advice on a pup they bought that is deaf.

- Some potential puppy buyers ask to put their name on your list, want weekly updates and then forget to tell you that they bought a pup 3 weeks prior, when you have held one for them, and knocked back countless others that are more than willing to give a pup a good home.

so....no wonder some breeders can be grumpy shits. :laugh:

If any potential owner did any of those things then they obviously weren't the right home to begin with and I don't think you can be a grumpy old shit for that! Find another excuse hey? :eek:

so....no wonder some breeders can be grumpy shits. :D

If any potential owner did any of those things then they obviously weren't the right home to begin with and I don't think you can be a grumpy old shit for that! Find another excuse hey? ;)

hey I didn't say OLD :eek::laugh:

so....no wonder some breeders can be grumpy shits. ;)

If any potential owner did any of those things then they obviously weren't the right home to begin with and I don't think you can be a grumpy old shit for that! Find another excuse hey? :D

hey I didn't say OLD :eek::laugh:

oops :D

I have gone through a lot of heart ache because of the fact we made the choice to not go with a registered breeder and were impatient, I phoned every breeder on the Dogs West listing for ACDs and none had what we were looking for. But all were MORE than helpful, alot of them are in WA but not actually in Perth, they tend to be up north where their dogs are actually put to work. The temperment of an ACD is crucial and some have had a few problems. There is a lady currently showing two reds in Perth, maybe if you head to show and have a look at the dogs she has and ask her questions. I did not go to a BYB because of the breeders, I found they were all more than helpful one even offering to bring their red pups to perth for us to see. But I was impatient, don't get me wrong I do not regret getting my girl because she is amazing and has taught me so much. But if I could go back and get a dog without her problems, I would. It would have saved us alot. I have had some other breeders from around Australia recommended to me, because I do want another ACD one day but will be VERY careful where it is from. Oh and if the breeder you were asked to put the deposit on a pup is the one I think of, steer away from them.

I would ring this breeder up anyway & see what she has to say, you never know she might not be that good with repling to emails, but be great when you actually speak to her.. & I don't think you have anything to lose by ringing her. :o

I really don't know why more people don't ring breeders (so much easier than writing an essay in a email ) I sometimes wonder how society coped before email was invented. :laugh:

I get lots of people that email me about my dogs all the time, I always send them a short but sweet email back, & give them the link to my website for more information..I then invite them & give them an appropriate time to call me if they are interested. I always state in my reply that they will not be considered for my waiting list without speaking to me on the ph first. :D

Sometimes I will get aPh call, sometimes I will get another email thanking me for my time, sometimes I will never hear from them again. Doesn't really bother me, & it doesn't really take much time to reply to them with a short email.

I also agree with other Dolers that if you can't find a suitable puppy in your state, you might have to start looking a little further afield.

Good luck!! :)