No Wonder Ppl Go To Bybs

perth_girl

I recently contacted an ACD breeder who is interstate by filling out the enquiry page on the website and was pleasantly surprised how quickly I got a response. I did offer quite a bit of information about myself, my breed experience and my lifestyle up front however. After the breeder responded, I also sent photos of my previous and existing dogs. They then invited me to phone them, which I have, but we are currently playing telephone tag - I'm sure they have a busy outdoor lifestyle the same as I do.

Given I was very active in breed rescue for 12-13 years, I expect the breeder to ask lots of questions of me, as I do of anyone potentially wishing to adopt one of my foster dogs. I would be rather concerned if they didn't. ACD's and ASTCD's can be an active and challenging breed and it's critical to match them with the right home and owner. In the right hands and environment, you couldn't wish for a better companion, but get it wrong and it can end in disaster. The purchase of a pup from this breeder may or may not go ahead and both parties would need to be in absolute agreement and clear on the conditions.

I have been passionate about my chosen breeds for for most of my life and spent a great deal of the past decade working with them in rescue, so I believe I have a reasonable idea about which breeders I would wish to consider dealing with and those I would not and which lines would best suit my requirements. A breeder who is prepared to offer advice and support to owners and one who is concerned about one of their dogs should they ever end up requiring rescue is a huge positive in my opinion also.

S

P.S. I met Connie from Landmaster years ago when I travelled to SA to compete and she was fantastic. She welcomed us into her home and introduced us to all her dogs. I still have many photos here somewhere and there was one 'special' dog that really caught my eye. Unfortunately, he was already slated for exportation otherwise I would have certainly been coming home with a spare dog! I can't remember the dogs name for the life of me now though. He was a big blue male with unusual face markings but the most amazing presence. I do remember a lot of the dogs names making reference to 'The King' though :laugh:

Edited by Sheilaheel02

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

and on the other side of the BYB coin...

- Some potential puppy buyers are not willing to wait for a puppy. They have to have it NOW.

- Some don't want to wait so they go buy a BYB from the local paper then call me for advice on a pup they bought that is deaf.

- Some potential puppy buyers ask to put their name on your list, want weekly updates and then forget to tell you that they bought a pup 3 weeks prior, when you have held one for them, and knocked back countless others that are more than willing to give a pup a good home.

so....no wonder some breeders can be grumpy shits. :laugh:

Exactly..

- Some potential puppy buyers are not willing to wait for a puppy. They have to have it NOW.

- Some don't want to wait so they go buy a BYB from the local paper then call me for advice on a pup they bought that is deaf.

- Some potential puppy buyers ask to put their name on your list, want weekly updates and then forget to tell you that they bought a pup 3 weeks prior, when you have held one for them, and knocked back countless others that are more than willing to give a pup a good home.

so....no wonder some breeders can be grumpy shits. :laugh:

Exactly..

Such a comfort to potential puppy enquirers to know they are going to be treated as if they are any or all of the above, before they even make contact.

Yeah, it's no wonder they go eslewhere.

I've learnt that with breeders you've just got to be patient. They do have busy/separate lives (or appear to anyway!!!), and as others have said, maybe they just don't have the best "email ettiquete" but are much friendlier over the phone :laugh: I would recommend phoning them to discuss what you want.

I (myself) don't really consider that email response you got overly rude. Its actually very similar to a couple of the responses i got, although mine were a tad shorter (consisting of "yes we have puppies available and we charge xx amount for them". No additional contact details or answers to the questions i asked or even whether i could actually buy one stated or anything!! But i didn't take it to heart as maybe they were rushed and busy when they replied. The main thing is that they've actually taken the time to respond.

Best of luck with your search :cheer: ACD's are a gorgeous breed :(

so....no wonder some breeders can be grumpy shits. :thumbsup:

Exactly..

Such a comfort to potential puppy enquirers to know they are going to be treated as if they are any or all of the above, before they even make contact.

Yes tyre kickers and time wasters can go elsewhere.

Perth girl

Breeders are also buyers and we need to go through all the leg work same as you.

I asked a nice breeder and frequent exhibitor I see once a year whether she was interested in any other breeds. And was so surprised/ educated to hear her nominate a breed and say, I'm putting the legwork in and getting known to the breeder.

so....no wonder some breeders can be grumpy shits. :hug:

Exactly..

Yes tyre kickers and time wasters can go elsewhere.

My sentiments exactly. :thumbsup:

Guest Tess32

When I first enquired about getting a Collie years ago, I got two replies all up. Most of the websites are out of date and useless, so it's not like that helps. I can count the number of breeders I rate in my breed on half a hand.

The truth is in some breeds, there is a severe shortage of good breeders, not puppies.

If you treat all enquiries as if they are tyre kickers and time wasters, eventually you can guarantee you'll have none. Enquiries, that is.

And if you keep posting stuff like that to DOL threads, it might even happen sooner.

Trying to find suitable homes and dealing with potential puppy purchasers is the very worst part of breeding IMO, believe me there are just as many time wasters and tyre kickers among the ranks of buyers as there are rude and uncommunicative people among the breeders.

I answer all enquiries promptly and politely, but some of the enquiries you have to deal with really try your patience and even if they pass my first assessment often they are quite unsuitable when you meet them personally.

If it were possible to accurately measure such things I think equal fault would be found on both sides.

Trying to find suitable homes and dealing with potential puppy purchasers is the very worst part of breeding IMO, believe me there are just as many time wasters and tyre kickers among the ranks of buyers as there are rude and uncommunicative people among the breeders.

I answer all enquiries promptly and politely, but some of the enquiries you have to deal with really try your patience and even if they pass my first assessment often they are quite unsuitable when you meet them personally.

If it were possible to accurately measure such things I think equal fault would be found on both sides.

I'm pleased to see some balance coming from a registered breeder. You're the kind of breeder I hoped to find via my way of approaching breeders. And I did.

I've got a vested interest, because a breeder who puts finding a suitable home, at the top of her priorities, is a person likely to have pride & care in what she produces & nurtures. Especially when she's quite ready to say 'No' anywhere within the screening process.

Frankly, I'm not going to waste my own time or anyone else's, until I find someone like this. 'Moving on' is a positive decision.

It's this kind of breeder, I then recommend to good people who are looking for a puppy or a dog. If I've had positive dealings with the breeder, myself, I'm then prepared to be a reference for any such person I point in their direction.

Edited by mita

It is the worst part for sure. In the 20+ years that I've bred dogs some of the people you have to deal with is quite incredible.

Unfortunately the breeder baggers that get on here don't see this side, think that everyone else is like them and we live in some kind of Utopian dog breeding world :birthday:

and GayleK I didn't say "ALL" .......you did.

It is the worst part for sure. In the 20+ years that I've bred dogs some of the people you have to deal with is quite incredible.

I'd believe that, W.

If you breed & raise your own dogs with pride & care about their future...then you don't have to put up with less than reasonable behaviour.

I believe the breed clubs should be more visible to the general public.

I have found it so easy to get in touch with breeders. A decade ago when I wanted a stafford pup I rang the Stafford Breed Club, asked who had puppies coming up for sale and was given several numbers. I had no experience with buying pedigree dogs but to me it seemed like a shortcut to go straight to the breed club.

No email, just a couple of phone calls.

More of the general public need to be steered towards clubs, that way it makes life easier for the buyer, as in they will only be contacting breeders with available puppies. Plus the breed club can direct general 'will x breed suit me' to a website to answer all those questions.

Some of you just don't get it.

Each time one of you comes on to the DOL forums and makes a post, or responds to a post, denigrating people who enquire about buying a puppy, making fun of their emails, slighting their questions, making excuses........you are publicly displaying to potential buyers just exactly WHY they shouldn't be making enquiries with you and possibly other registered breeders.

It just one more nail in the coffin.

And it's no wonder they then choose other sources to make enquiries from. DOL is a public forum, there is no cone of silence that keeps the words in, the posts are viewable to everyone, not just those who post here and not just those who are DOL forum members.

I've learnt that with breeders you've just got to be patient. They do have busy/separate lives (or appear to anyway!!!), and as others have said, maybe they just don't have the best "email ettiquete" but are much friendlier over the phone :birthday: I would recommend phoning them to discuss what you want.

my problem is that so do i! i have a a full-time job, i am also undertaking post-grad study, i have horses that i ride and compete and dogs that i enjoy going out with every day, i have a partner who wants to occasionally get out of the house just the two of us, a family that wants/needs my attention and friends that i don't see nearly often enough. email is easier and more time efficient for me, as i'm sure it is with the OP - i can type quicker than i talk and i can do it at work in a few moments between meetings or whatnot.

for my next dog i'm happy to put in the legwork, i'm happy to wait if the pup is going to be what i want. but just because a breeder is busy it does not mean that i should make it my mission to take elements out of my life in order to practically stalk them to get them to talk to me!

i know that you, jodie, weren't actually saying that we buyers didn't have busy lives either, but i just want to illustrate that some of us buyers may have time for a puppy but that for a breeder to expect us to go above and beyond, to make it almost a part-time job to prove we are worthy of a pup is pretty elitest IMHO.

now, i will put in the hours to find a puppy and a breeder that lives up to my expectations and of whom i live up to theirs, but i can understand why many people, frustrated with searching for months, putting themselves out there for little response can turn to the quick and easy route. these are not people of whom dogs are their be all and end all, a major focus in their lives, BUT these are the people we need to convince about purebred dogs because that is the majority of the population...

every person who is turned away from purebred dogs by finding it too hard or time consuming to find a breeder is a person that would have become a convert, another spokesperson of how fab and sensible a purebred dog is. every potential puppy buyer turned away could go on to perpetuate the horrid suppy/demand cycle that is occuring in the pet shops and online bybs. why wouldn't we want to cut down those numbers?

And that, in a nutshell is one of the reasons registered purebred dogs are in decline. It's the potential puppy buyers fault.

When there are many registered breeders, of all kinds , and many puppy buyers, of all kinds...I wouldn't say that 'it's the potential puppy buyers' fault if purebreds are in decline'. Nor would I say 'it's the potential sellers' fault'.

I'd suspect, if that is so, there'd be many reasons.

Edited by mita

i just want to illustrate that some of us buyers may have time for a puppy but that for a breeder to expect us to go above and beyond, to make it almost a part-time job to prove we are worthy of a pup is pretty elitest IMHO.

Spell it out. What sort of actions do you believe make 'almost a part-time job' to prove you are 'worthy' of a pup?

What are these things you consider 'hard' and 'time consuming'?

Then it'd be clear what you're labelling as 'elitist'.

Edited by mita