How Do I Get Rid Of A Mouse Outside

Can't see how

Well..perhaps ,next time ,have a closer look .

Often they have bloodied mouths/paws, from trying to chew/dig out. They are very often dehydrated and their heart rates are thru the roof ..or conversely, they may be still and cold and in shock. If the cage is an open weave, they are very often stressed just be in an exposed position.

I have stopped using those traps, after seeing the state of captive mice :)

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Can't see how

Well..perhaps ,next time ,have a closer look .

Often they have bloodied mouths/paws, from trying to chew/dig out. They are very often dehydrated and their heart rates are thru the roof ..or conversely, they may be still and cold and in shock. If the cage is an open weave, they are very often stressed just be in an exposed position.

I have stopped using those traps, after seeing the state of captive mice :)

If the cage has ample food/water and is checked regularly, then that really shouldn't be a problem. You can get cages that are partially covered too. I've used them before and find the mouse happily eating whatever's there.

You said in one of your posts jazzy4 that "i will continue to rid my house of these pest, same goes for snakes", perhaps if you let a friendly carpet snake live at your place there would be no rats or mice

just a thought :D

Snakes are my friends :thumbsup:

Edited by Boronia

they are rodents & spread filth & disease, there is no reason to be humane to a disease carrying pest

i catch them in the wire cages & drown them in a bucket, when i was young & down on the farm my brother & cousins used to catch them & tie their tails together and watch them try to run away by pulling the other's tails off,

rodents have no place in our homes, farms, chicken/animal pens, they should not be treated with kit gloves

This post is really quite disgusting. I am amazed you are not ashamed and embarrassed, regardless of whether you participated or not. The fact that an animal is vermin or a pest is no excuse for inflicting cruelty, something you are apparently endorsing. Just appalling.

Guest Willow
they are rodents & spread filth & disease, there is no reason to be humane to a disease carrying pest

i catch them in the wire cages & drown them in a bucket, when i was young & down on the farm my brother & cousins used to catch them & tie their tails together and watch them try to run away by pulling the other's tails off,

rodents have no place in our homes, farms, chicken/animal pens, they should not be treated with kit gloves

This post is really quite disgusting. I am amazed you are not ashamed and embarrassed, regardless of whether you participated or not. The fact that an animal is vermin or a pest is no excuse for inflicting cruelty, something you are apparently endorsing. Just appalling.

"There is no reason to be humane to a disease carrying pest"???? really??? IMO no matter what the creature, death should be as quick and painless as possible.

I'm sure there was a study done showing children who find joy in torturing animals go on to become socipaths & serial killers.....

Humans sure carry a lot of disease & spread it quite effectively around the planet......

All animals can carry & spread disease. No need to torture them for it. If they must be culled, then it should be done quickly & without pleasure.

I'm sickened by your posts jazzy4 :thumbsup:

Disgusting is an understatement!! And that you gloat? Unbelievable!! :thumbsup:

they are disease ridden pest, they have no place in out society, just like rapist, pedophiles & murderers who should be executed also, ALL pests/filth that are worth nothing to anyone, the more of the above that we can bait & remove from this earth the better place it would be.

Just like animal abusers have no place in our society?

Tying rats tails together and watching them hurting each other while trying to escape is abuse by any standard.

they are not animals they are rodents & discusting, too many do gooders in this world make it hard for others to rid the world of pest & filth

I think you might need a basic biology lesson. Rodents are most certainly animals.

I'd throw in a few Psychiatry consults too!

I was disgusted with Jazzy4's post too. :hug:

Yes I agree mice are a pest & need to be controlled..but I am appalled that someone can come on a dog forum where most people care about living creatures & gloat about cruelty & torture to a living thing.

No creature deserves to be tortued & die in such a way...just absolutely disgusting!! :)

i in no way intended my post re the glue traps to make me appear as if i was a sociopath and object to being called one.

i had tried humanely to catch the animal for three weeks, it was continueing to be quite a problem as it was getting in everywhere, (baby nappy wipes, disposable nappies, tubes of cream as well as food and dog food).

The glue trap was only used for 20 mins before i caught it and it was humanely destroyed quickly. I used the glue trap as it was my only other option as i didnt want to use bait as i have other animals here and also look after children.

the health and safety of all of these were put in front of the rat, however i did not enjoy killing it or catching it.

if glue traps end up being banned then i will find some other way of trapping the animal and humanely killing it.

i was merely only offering a suggestion as i had only just had to deal with this problem.

The person needs more than a biology lesson if a five year old child knows that a mouse is actually an animal. Good lord, is jazzy4 a product of home-schooling or a failing education system? Scary thought.

That is very offensive. I was home schooled. I don't condone anything Jazzy4 said and I am well educated and gainfully employed and have been ever since I turned 16 (I finished grade 12 + some when I was 15) I got an OP 2. Please think before you post comments such as this because it is rude.

A person must not set at large any vermin.

http://www.austlii.edu.au/au/legis/tas/con...000186/s17.html

I think you will find it's illegal to release a rat, mouse, rabbit, cat, goldfish (carp) and other vermin into the wild in Australia. If you really care for its welfare, either leave it be, or trap it in a smooth sided cage trap and take it to the vet for humane dispatch. Personally, I live with the fact I have to kill some things to live. Where do you draw the line between bacteria, weeds, flies, ants, snails, mice, rabbits, goats, camels etc.

Mice and rats are bad, but the worst spreader of disease among humans is - other humans - so you really should get mad at the person who comes to work sick or lets their sick kids go to school or ride public transport etc.

http://www.macroevolution.net/diseases-carried-by-mice.html

Diseases carried by mice include, but are not limited too, the following:

Bubonic plague - Mice are not infected with plague as often as rats, but infections do occur. This disease is spread to humans by fleas. Plague is usually fatal within a few days of infection. It is present in rodents throughout the western United States, and in many other parts of the world (see map >>).

Salmonella - Mice and rats are both frequent carriers. Spreads to humans by contact with mouse droppings, especially through consumption of contaminated food. Causes serious, sometimes fatal gastroenteritis. Household pets are also frequently infected with Salmonella by this means and often die as a result.

Murine Typhus (typhus transmitted from mice via flea bite) - This disease is treatable with antibiotics, but can cause death in elderly or infirm individuals. Symptoms include vomiting, fever, headache, myalgia, and cough.

Leptospirosis - Rats are mice are both carriers of this potentially fatal disease.

Rat-bite Fever - Fatal in 10 percent of untreated cases. Usually contracted from rats, but infection can also occur from mice. The bacterium causing this disease enters the body through bites, as its name suggests, or from urine contaminating either food or preexisting skin wounds.

Tapeworms - Mice host small tapeworms of the genus Hymenolepis can be spread to humans eating foods contaminated with droppings (or when hands are merely dirtied by droppings and not washed before meals). These parasites hatch out in the gut where they grow and reproduce.

Ways that mice transmit disease to humans:

By biting;

By infecting human food with droppings;

By infecting human food with urine;

By infecting skin wounds with urine;

Indirectly, by blood-sucking insects;

Indirectly, by mites;

Indirectly, by means of cats and dogs;

By dying in a water source drunk by humans.

This is the time of year that the little beasts are looking for nice warm places to spend winter, our homes are just what they like. They can eat the wiring, invade the pantry, leave their dirty little messages everywhere. YUCK!

I think the best defence against rodents is keeping your food in sealed containers. Everything in my pantry is sealed so there is no food source for the little fellas to bother coming in for.

I use an ultrasonic device to repel them, it seems to help. I have three cats so if one is unlucky enough to come into the house I usually inlist the assistance of my personal "pest control".

I use rat and mouse bait in the roof cavity as rats have been known to make their homes in there (evident by droppings).

I have chooks and horses so I only feed the chooks in the morning, and don't keep 'feeders" even the suspended ones as even though the mice can't get to them the food attracts them still.

All the horse feed containers are well sealed and the feed room (a garden shed that is sealed) has a concrete floor so nothing gets in.

Hopefully the field mice will stay in the field where they eat seeds etc. and serve a useful role as a food source for the beautiful raptors (Wedge tailed eagles, Peregrine Falcons, Owls etc) that I often see flying around the Yarra Valley.

A mouse plague is caused by inbalance and an abundance of supply. Killing one or two mice wont prevent a plague but keeping a lid on the food source will help keep your local population under control.

A mouse got into my chook coop...and it was the chooks that dispatched and ate it!

I was so amazed the first time I ever saw that!!! Chooks are omnivores after all. Problem is mice like to raid feed supplies when the chooks are sleeping.

A bit late but are you for real?

The only rodents that make me feel this way are people who are cruel and inhumane to animals.

Mice don't know they carry diseases, don't intentionally do it, it is not their choice to be a pest, they are simply trying to survive.

Humans have the power of rational thought and judgement, they should know better than to carry out, advocate or condone cruelty or inhumane actions.

Absolutely sickening. :happydance: