How Much Is That Doggie In The Window?

Elenbah

TBH I didn't buy mine from registered breeders - I didn't know much about BYB and registered breeders before I joined this forum so I just went onto the trading post or other puppy websites to find my two babies.

Max was the first, I found the breeders on the trading post and they were lovely and lived on a big property in Castlereagh (near Penrith) and my OH and I went there and they had three GSD with a lot of puppies - beautiful dogs that were clearly well looked after and loved. We bought

ax for $290 - but he hadn't been vaccinated or wormed or flea'd - but that was okay with us.

Jenna was next and we also found her on the trading post. I went to a guys property in Horsley Park and he has literally about 35 dogs - a mixture between GSD and JRT - however all of them looked quite healthy and happy. We bought Jenna for $400 because she was the runt (the others were going for $550) and I research it on the net before I got her and all evidence suggested that German shepherd runts normally end up the same size as its litter mates anyway. So we bought her and she was wormed and flea'd and had had her first vaccination.

I was pretty impressed with those prices - especially since they were purebred - BUT i didnt get paperws - I didnt think I needed them bec ause I wasn't going to breed or show them... But they are gorgeous dogs. And I got to meet the mum and dad both times and mum and dad were all in good health.

When ie what year did people buy their dogs also (as this will reflect on price also.

I bouight Max in september 09 and Jenna in October 10

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I paid about $300 for Sasha (from rescue)... I think I got a bargain, she's worth much, much more. :D

Chloe - I paid $400 for from a BYB. Maybe not an expensive pup in the grand scheme of things, but her price came at a cost. She's gone on to cost over $30,000 in health costs. While I wouldn't buy BYB ever again, I wouldn't change Chloe for any amount of money in the world (unless someone could make her healthier) and I don't regret the last 13 years that she has been the best friend to me and my family that we could have asked for.

Sorry to hear that she has cost so much. That is a lot of money, but you know what - I would pay that much for my boy and girl too. :)

Although it wasn't my original intention to ask everybody HOW MUCH they paid for their pet, people are obviously happy to tell and that's OK.......

I see here some have paid less but some have paid more but the impression I am getting is that everyone of them was worth paying for and would be happy to pay for a loyal and loving pet.....

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :D :) down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

I am not wanting to criticize here or anything, I was just wondering if people really know what goes into producing that happy healthy pet and would people think differently if they did....

If someone said to me :eek: 'we only want a pet' - I would immediately say no to them. clearly they dont know enough about prices or about the going rate for the pups... I dont know - am I wrong in hyperthetically doing that

?

The price you paid, do you think it was reasonable or too much for your newest family member?....

If you think you paid too much, why?

The price asked by the registered breeders I've adopted adult dogs from, was...nothing. No money at all. They knew what kind of home would be offered here & that's all they wanted for their dogs.

What did those breeders get, even tho' they'd asked for nothing? The price of a good-quality puppy of that breed.

What do I think is reasonable? The little dogs we've got, have been beautiful, loving charmers who've lived up to their intelligent alert-dog traits to perform a few amazing jobs for us. Worth their weight in gold! :D

Edited by mita

The going rate for a registerd Sammy down here from an ethical breeder is about $1500.

I paid a little less than that for my first Bundy. He has gone on to be multi best in show champion, but regardless of that he is healthy and sound both in body and mind and my bestest buddy :D

I paid about $300 for Sasha (from rescue)... I think I got a bargain, she's worth much, much more. :D

Chloe - I paid $400 for from a BYB. Maybe not an expensive pup in the grand scheme of things, but her price came at a cost. She's gone on to cost over $30,000 in health costs. While I wouldn't buy BYB ever again, I wouldn't change Chloe for any amount of money in the world (unless someone could make her healthier) and I don't regret the last 13 years that she has been the best friend to me and my family that we could have asked for.

Sorry to hear that she has cost so much. That is a lot of money, but you know what - I would pay that much for my boy and girl too. :)

Someone could offer me all the money in the world for Chloe, but to me she is invaluable and I would never part with her. It's not the cost, but the heartache that we all have had to endure to keep her well and happy.

Whilst I wouldn't buy from a BYB again, if I had to make the same decision about Chloe again - even knowing she would have health issues - I would again take her home in a heartbeat. The pure joy and friendship she has given us far outweighs her health costs, although I just wish she'd been able to live a completely healthy life. I figure she is lucky that she was with us, so that she could have the best care and love possible - and we were lucky to have been blessed with such an angel.

Back in 1979 my father bought me an Old English Sheepdog pup from a breeder in the Tweed Heads area for $150. I'm sure they'd spent much more than that on a siamese cat for mum a decade before. My dog was apparently pure bred but had no papers that I recall. She was a beautiful animal that thought she was human and she never once came into season and back then desexing wasn't something you thought much about.

All other dogs I've had since then have been 'free' rescues, some of who have cost me a fortune in health and wellbeing care!

I paid $1500 for my LR dog. $2500 including flights for my MR dog. He was more because he is "coloured". He has lots of health issues and is only 17 months old. I have now spent an extra $1500 on top of that and will spend another $1000 in the next coming months.

Both dogs parents were not hip and elbow scored, thyroid or heart checked. :) Sadly most breeders dont do it.

Do I think I got ripped off, yes. I know a heck of a lot more now and would never buy a dog that is not health tested or charged more based on colour.

Although it wasn't my original intention to ask everybody HOW MUCH they paid for their pet, people are obviously happy to tell and that's OK.......

I see here some have paid less but some have paid more but the impression I am getting is that everyone of them was worth paying for and would be happy to pay for a loyal and loving pet.....

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :):mad down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

I am not wanting to criticize here or anything, I was just wondering if people really know what goes into producing that happy healthy pet and would people think differently if they did....

This is my opinion, please take into consideration that I’m not a breeder and don’t have a clue how much it costs you for health tests and for keeping your dogs in excellent condition and happy.

So if it’s not going to break the bank or if you’re not at a loss by selling to pet homes a little under the going rate, then I don’t see the problem. I assume you sell your show dogs at the same price as you would those that go to pet homes. (Some breeders do)

I have noticed that some other breeders sell main register dogs for up to $500 or more compared to the dog going to a pet home. As a non-breeder or show person I assumed they did this because they then want to make a little more seeing that you may breed from the dog and use their lines.

As a child my dad got me a Rough Collie in 1983 for $100 with paper (main) from a register breeder …..I don’t know what the going rate for a Rough Collie may be these days. The papers didn’t mean much to us only that he was a pure bred dog…and a point to boast to my friends … that my dog had Champion parents ,grandparents and great grandparents.

Our dog was never use for breeding or showing. I think $100 was too cheap even for those days. We loved our Duke dearly :)

I was trying to find out from those that thought their pets were too expensive their reasoning and why when I have a litter advertised at the going rate I get :):mad down the line and comments like "WE only want a pet.!!!!" I am sure the posters here could agree that say the $1000 that you pay now for a happy and healthy pet now amounts to nothing in the scheme of things when with your care you can usually expect a very loyal and loving family member for the next 10 to 15 years.....

This is my opinion, please take into consideration that I’m not a breeder and don’t have a clue how much it costs you for health tests and for keeping your dogs in excellent condition and happy.

So if it’s not going to break the bank or if you’re not at a loss by selling to pet homes a little under the going rate, then I don’t see the problem. I assume you sell your show dogs at the same price as you would those that go to pet homes. (Some breeders do)

I have noticed that some other breeders sell main register dogs for up to $500 or more compared to the dog going to a pet home. As a non-breeder or show person I assumed they did this because they then want to make a little more seeing that you may breed from the dog and use their lines.

As a child my dad got me a Rough Collie in 1983 for $100 with paper (main) from a register breeder …..I don’t know what the going rate for a Rough Collie may be these days. The papers didn’t mean much to us only that he was a pure bred dog…and a point to boast to my friends … that my dog had Champion parents ,grandparents and great grandparents.

Our dog was never use for breeding or showing. I think $100 was too cheap even for those days. We loved our Duke dearly :)

Health Screening for inherited diseases is extremely expensive these days and many tests have become compulsory under the animal companion act. Which is OK because many of us ANKC Registered Breeders were already doing them and have been doing testing for years in order to try and eliminate undesirable health issues (the cost is one reason BYB won't test.) Some of these compulsory tests are not even relevant to some of the breeds being tested here in Aust., but they are tested because the US data base says that X amount of dogs have tested positive for that breed.

For me, I do sell all my puppies at the same price.. My dogs are my pets first and therefore so are their pups.... If someone wants to show one of my pups, I can't guarantee it is going to be a great show dog at 8 to 12 weeks (which is usually the age I let my puppies go to their new homes) all I can tell them is that this puppy has show potential....often one cannot be sure until said pup reaches 9 to 12 months of age.... I have had puppies that have gone to pet homes and owners have decided to do Obedience or Agility and thoroughly enjoy it...Just today I received a Breeders Certificate for one of my pups that has just gained her CDX Title...the owners are absolutely thrilled and so am I.

Others do sell their puppies that they place on the MR at a higher price.... maybe perhaps they think that these are the ones less likely to be desexed and yes, used in breeding which could be obtaining a life time of work to producing a successful line...

The BYB's and Puppy Farms, particularly those producing Oodles (once known only as mongrels/cross breeds or mutts which were given away if the dog down the road accidently got to the bitch, nobody was out to make thousands of dollars from these litters) have made Registered Breeders very wary because it is from these breeders that the BYB's and Puppy Farmers try to purchase their breeding stock and sell the pups for exorbitant prices and promises...... This is the reason most responsible breeders will give anyone inquiring about a puppy the third degree and contracts have now become a common policy for some in order to safeguard their dogs...

Interesting to note... that in 2009, There were 33,000 Members of the ANKC Aust. wide...8,643 litters were born.....

It was estimated that they only produced 20% of the puppies born in 2009...

My husband and I have owned 2 dogs, the first was an abandoned puppy. We knew the mother was a mastiff, as he grew we discovered dad was a Dane.

2 vears after our boy died we got a standard poodle (black female). We came upon her sort of by luck. We had our name down with a breeder here in Vic, but the litter all died. It was going to be a long wait to go with her for her next litter. We had been sans dog for 2 years and were ready for one. So I made some futher inquiries, somehow the secretary of the NSW poodle club rang me to let me know he knew of a breeder in NSW with a female black puppy. We took her she was only $800.00 with papers and all the relevant health checks. She is a great girl.

We are currently looking at our next dog. I want a male curly coat. My family had one when I was growing up. I have spoken to a couple of breeders. Strangely though have not mentioned money. I keep forgetting to ask how much they are.

This thread is inspired by another here on the price of puppies....

I have a question for non breeder dog/puppy owners who bought their furry friend hopefully from a registered breeder....

The price you paid, do you think it was reasonable or too much for your newest family member?....

If you think you paid too much, why?

I have a Gordon Setter. She came from a registered breeder after a long wait. I paid $900 for my girl and was more than happy with the price I paid for her. I was happy to pay more. Her parents are both health tested and passed with flying colours. In NSW and other states I believe they are around $1200 a puppy which is still cheaper than I initially expected. There was no price difference between males and females. I had my girl on order for 3 years and was after a female due to personal preference. A few of the other breeders I approached wouldnt let me get a female because I was a new "showy" and told me a male would be a better show dog for me but just did not suit what I was looking for.

I paid $900 (I think) for a co-owned main registered male Toller in 2002, then in 2004 I paid a little more for a fully owned main registered male Toller and last year got my fully owned main registered Toller bitch in exchange for stud fee. Bitch has a pup back to breeders from her first litter and even if that wasn't mentioned I would still offer one as her mum required a c-section and was desexed at the same time and only produced one puppy, so they lost her lines when they graciously still allowed me to have the only pup in what was a very expensive litter.

Honestly for what I got they were extremely cheap, apart from a few accidents both dogs have been exceptionally healthy, have beautiful personalities and are simply put awesome dogs. All three are a credit to their breeders and their breed.

Edited by tollersowned

Bondi my BYB boxer was $300 out of the paper- my 13th birthday pressie.. I was too impatient back then to wait for one from a breeder, and didnt know about health tests back then.

Wolf my Sibe cost my boss $1200 I believe, but she gave him to me for nothing because of all the work I've put in with him, and he thought he was my dog anyway :thumbsup:

I'd expect to pay $1200+ for a well bred boxer, and no idea what sibes go for these days.

(my sister brought a puppy out of the paper (bull arab) cost her $50, but in the first year of his life has cost her over $5000 in medical costs.. so it's not always the initial cost that's significant! I think she has learnt her lesson)

Personally I don't think there is a limit to how much a person could or should spend on a dog.

If you are willing to pay the price then it's reasonable. If you are questioning why it is so high then it probably not. But then if you've done your research you'll know the answer anyway :thumbsup:

My Poochie pie was about $350-$400 a good 17 years ago and she came from a registered breeder. She had no major health issues with the exception of seasonal mange mites that her immune system didn't fight off and at age 15 she had an ovarian tumour removed and she was PTS a year later due to kidney failure.

Zeus (beagle x JRT) on the other hand was a pet shop puppy and his asking price was $900, however, because he was considered "old" by pet shop standards at 11 weeks I negotiated his price down to $400, which included a collar, leash, puppy blanket, a month's supply of advance puppy food and they also paid for his next puppy vaccine. He was the last of his litter and if I could turn back the clock, I'd still buy him, however, I might've done a bit more research into what type of dog he'd turn out to be.

My next puppy is coming from a registered breeder and she'll be sold on main register for a very reasonable price. It's what I'd expect to pay although for a fantastic dog, I'd be willing to pay anything!!

I was taken for a ride when I purchased my first "show potential" pup. I was young and obviously uneducated, as I thought all registered breeders were good. I was promised the world with this dog... would title in no time at all and would then go on to be a great sire, producing exceptional puppies, etc.

Needless to say, this dog was desexed just after 12mths. I didn't even both showing him after getting a few judges/ other breeders to critique him, no puppies carrying on his not so desirable traits... thankfully.

He does however have an awesome temperament for his breed and has gone on to become a Delta Therapy Dog and title in obedience and frisbee. So yes, I got my monies worth in other areas, but not in the area I initially purchased him for. I do love my lanky, leggy boy!!

Can't help but notice people think it is a no no to charge more for pups of a popular colour, or for particular gender. There is nothing wrong with this. If the demand is there. I waited nearly 10 years to get my first red Boxer in a litter from my lines. Finally I had both a red male and a female, the male I had a home lined up and sold the same price as my brindles. The female I kept. You have no idea the number of calls of people insisting they wanted those pups, that they would pay more etc etc. They really tried to twist my arm. I did not budge.

But had I not planned to keep the bitch and if the red male had not had a home lined up already..there would have been nothing wrong with a higher price either.

Just my thoughts on this matter. Supply and demand drives it. Sorry to sidetrack.

Edited by Boxerheart

I didn't pay a cent for my Main Register show girl. I own her outright and she's everything I wanted and more. I have a very good friendship with her breeder :) Well-bred pups in my breed are around $1,500 at the moment and I wouldn't bat an eyelid at paying that.