It Just Makes Me So Mad

Mystiqview

I got a phone call from a lady tonight.

She had bought a 12 week old "wheaten/white" border collie from a Sydney Pet store. She has got this puppy home and then decided to ring a breeder to find out a little about health issues in the breed.

The woman claims to be a recognised dog trainer and has GSD's.

She is concerned with the dog having bloat as it occurs in GSD's. She also asked me about the training requirements and how much exercise the dog needs as they were told by the pet store owner bc's needed to be walked twice a day.

After telling her about the three main genetic diseases (CEA, CL and TNS), hip and elbow displacia. I told her about living in high set houses and not allowing the dog to go zooming down the stairs and as they want to do, jump the last four steps and scoot around the corner as this can lead to environmental displacia if the pup was prone to the condition.

She told me the pup already had parvo while at the pet store and was fine now. She also told me the pet store owner had told her that "wheaten/whites" were specifically bred to be able to live in suburban blocks and be family pets. Their black.white counterparts were for farm dogs and required more exercise.

I quickly set her straight on that point! I told them a border collie is a border collie!! They come from the same background and briefly explained the difference between show bred lines and pure working lines. (please no arguments here on the merits/failings of both).

This apparently justified the $1800 price tag!! I told her she was ripped off. Gave a brief explanation of colour genetics and how some are breeding colour so they can charge up to $900 more for a pup.

She asked me about what is best for the dog: Obedience, agility or herding. I told her it depended on the individual puppy and training methods - they do not do well with harsh training. Obedience is essential at least in basic form for control of the dog in the other sports, but make sure she kept her obedience fun and not harsh.

She asked me about food. The usual stuff about changing diets and what I fed.

The mind boggles how a so called (and I can only take her word for it) qualified professional dog trainer can go into a pet store and know nothing of a breed of dog they are looking at purchasing!! Let alone be taken for a ride by the shop keeper. It makes me so mad they choose to ring a breeder AFTER paying too much for a puppy at a pet store to find out how to take care of it!!!

OMFG!!! How dense has the wider population gotten?????

I hope the pup is fine and will not have any genetic issue from poor breeding. It does not bode well for quality for it to have parvo while at the pet store.

She rang me because she saw my ad after getting home with said puppy, than I am small kennel and my dogs are fully health tested. Why on earth can they not ring BEFORE hand????

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$1800: That is double what you pay for a quality black/white puppy from a registered ethical breeder who has done all the health testing who can give the ongoing support for their puppy buyer.

I even know of quality red/white puppies going recently in NSW for only $1000. Same deal.. Fully health tested, and all the support/knowledge from a registered breeder.

What kind of professional trainer would not know the exercise and training requirements of a BC? and i do not know of one single professional trainer that would ever choose a pet shop puppy for a competition prospect or even a pet!

At least she seems to want to train the dog, but as you said, she seems to have no clue!

I hope the dog is healthy and does not suffer from a poor temperament.

At least you were able to provide her with the basic information, hopefully she has gained something from talking to you and will do her best to look after the poor pup.

Edited by aussielover

I recently saw some black and white BC pups for sale in a pet shop here in Perth, and they were asking $1000 per pup. No papers. I though that was more than the going rate for a pup with papers/health testing etc.

What professional trainer would also be asking a person unseen what sport is best for their dog that is only 12 weeks old?? Surely she would have been able to assess the temperament of the dog and know you cannot tell the real potential of a 12 week old puppy?

How would I know if it will be the next obedience or agility champion?? For one I am some 1000kms away.

I am not sure what I am more upset about. The lies told to puppy buyers, the obviously poor health standards that arose for the pup to get parvo (not to mention any other health issues) whilst in the care of the pet store or the person stupid enough to pay those rip off prices, then thought to ring a registered breeder

:)

:cheer:

:cry:

I think all of the above probably sums up a lot of peoples feelings about this sort of thing (it was much easier than trying to put words to such stupidity!). I just don't think there can be ay way that she was a professional trainer - how can you train dogs/people and their dogs if you are that stupid!!!

Taking it back to the buying a product analogy - would you buy a manual car without having ever driven one or having lessons to learn, probably not!!! But maybe if you weren't too cluey on such things!

I just hope pup is ok and at least she does now have some information - thankyou Mystiqview for doing that bit of community service!

I recently saw some black and white BC pups for sale in a pet shop here in Perth, and they were asking $1000 per pup. No papers. I though that was more than the going rate for a pup with papers/health testing etc.

Depending on your state: Anywhere from $700 to $1000 for quality health tested puppies from an ethical breeder. I know of breeders over there who charge a lot more for their puppies than what is charged in the Eastern states.

NSW and VIC prices generally have been higher than QLD prices, although I think QLD prices are now very similar to NSW and VIC with the exception for our colour breeders here who want to charge $1500 or more or unrecognised colours such as blue or chocolate merle, lilac, choc tri and the other unrecognised colours.

What kind of professional trainer would not know the exercise and training requirements of a BC? and i do not know of one single professional trainer that would ever choose a pet shop puppy for a competition prospect or even a pet!

At least she seems to want to train the dog, but as you said, she seems to have know clue!

I hope the dog is healthy and does not suffer from a poor temperament.

At least you were able to provide her with the basic information, hopefully she has gained something from talking to you and will do her best to look after the poor pup.

x2 what kind of trainer is she :cry:

She also told me the pet store owner had told her that "wheaten/whites" were specifically bred to be able to live in suburban blocks and be family pets. Their black.white counterparts were for farm dogs and required more exercise.

:):cheer::cheer: - Have to mention to GF not to get a wheaten/white BC as they are only suited for suburban blocks and Family pets which would mean they have no drive like their working B&W counterparts lol

Suppose the best part is she rang someone who knew what they where talking about :cry:

Actually, sadly I have heard from a number of people that they believe the red/wheaten BCs are more suitable to be pet dogs rather than working dogs???

:cry::):cheer: Um don't know where they get that from...

They are bloody red heads!!!!!

All the red heads I know love to dig (and are mud monsters), bark, run and generally be full on.

Maybe those red heads read a different book??

ETA: of my four dogs here now.... My red/white (AKA wheaten/white) is more troublesome than my three black/whites put together.. He is the one who loves the sound of his own voice, loves to dig to china and is generally the one who cannot sit still.

Edited by Mystiqview

Between $900-$1,000.

Anyone who pays more than that for a Border Collie needs their head read, regardless of colour!

Drives me absolutely insane :cry:

Almost as insane as calling red and white, wheaten, caramel etc etc etc! LOL

Between $900-$1,000.

Anyone who pays more than that for a Border Collie needs their head read, regardless of colour!

Drives me absolutely insane :cry:

Almost as insane as calling red and white, wheaten, caramel etc etc etc! LOL

I nearly fell off the couch in shock when she told me that price.

It makes me sad and mad at the same time.

Actually, sadly I have heard from a number of people that they believe the red/wheaten BCs are more suitable to be pet dogs rather than working dogs???

Someone obviously forgot to tell my red/white boy this at birth...

The mind boggles :cry:

She obviously didn’t know much about the breed before bought this pup. How sad is that!!

Today I saw a sign outside a pet store saying something along the lines of …..

If your best friend has had puppies, we buy puppies and find good homes for them. :)

The mini poodles had been reduced (Sign showing the before price and new price) obviously getting much bigger and harder to sell.

Japanese spitz were priced at $1400. Buying from a breeder, yes! thats fine but from a pet shop! :cry:

Unfortunately, down here in Sydney and I live in the inner City and travel to places like Bondi Junction and Chatswood where there is a chain petshop, around $1500 - $2000 for a "pretty" puppy is not unusual.

What we have to remember is that people see "cute" puppies and impulse buy, the chain petshops have an advantage over the quality pedigree breeder, the chain petshop has an EFTPOS facility!!!!! Also to be frank, the petshop just wants the buyers money, they don't bother to question the buyer to make sure that the buyer knows the "breeds?" issues and whether the buyer will be a suitable owner!!!! Also I honestly don't think the average member of the public's brain works when they see a cute puppy, also I don't think some people know the price of a good quality puppy.

I sometimes wonder what the people do that I turn down for a puppy do, have they listened when I have told them I don't believe my breed suits them. Have they listened when I have said that their children are too young to cope with a young puppy. Have they listened when I have told a husband, I don't really think your wife wants a dog!!!!! But then in saying this I have one family who has kept intouch with me for years, took my advice and waited 2 years until their children were older and could cope with a puppy.