Dog, Man Stabbed In Melbourne Park

poodlefan

SO none of you have EVER walked your dog off leash in parkland? (possibly off leash parkland, it doesnt stipulate)

Maybe he should have had better control but HELLO, the guy was carrying a knife, who knows, maybe the dog saved the owner from a more brutal attack? Normal evryday citizens dont carry knives, he was up to no good...

Edited by joelle

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO none of you have EVER walked your dog off leash in parkland? (possibly off leash parkland, it doesnt stipulate)

Maybe he should have had better control but HELLO, the guy was carrying a knife, who knows, maybe the dog saved the owner from a more brutal attack? Normal evryday citizens dont carry knives, he was up to no good...

I walk my dogs offlead most days. We see people most days. I call my dogs back to me and put Howie the maniac on lead until we pass.

Its not that difficult to keep your dogs from rushing up to people if you train them. :shrug: You can train them not to jump on folk too.

How close do you think a dog has to get to a stranger for someone to stab it?

The sooner dog owners recognise that while they love Fido to bits, they shouldn't make assumptions about how other folk feel. I love dogs and I don't appreciate being run up to by strange dogs. It makes you madly read body language and wonder if you're going to be knocked over. Spare a thought for those who don't know the dog and don't know that every dog rushing up to them is going to be friendly.

If one of my dogs was to be injured because I allowed it to approach a stranger, I can say with certainty that I'd accept full responsiblity for what happened. Its not about thinking that your "better" than some other dog owners but accepting that your dogs safety and welfare is your responsiblity and yours alone.

Edited by poodlefan

[until we pass.

Its not that difficult to keep your dogs from rushing up to people if you train them. :shrug: You can train them not to jump on folk too.

The sooner dog owners recognise that while they love Fido to bits, they shouldn't make assumptions about how other folk feel. I love dogs and I don't appreciate being run up to by strange dogs. It makes you madly read body language and wonder if you're going to be knocked over. Spare a thought for those who don't know the dog and don't know that every dog rushing up to them is going to be friendly.

Agree 100%, it is the same attitude that people get when their dogs approach other dogs, my dog is friendly what's your problem. My dogs are taught young to leave other people alone.

Poodle....all your responses in this thread are bizzare, they seem to infer that it was a justified attack by your constant bringing up that the dog shouldn't have appraoched the person and referring to person training recall to their dogs.

I

Poodle....all your responses in this thread are bizzare, they seem to infer that it was a justified attack by your constant bringing up that the dog shouldn't have appraoched the person and referring to person training recall to their dogs.

I

I agree, there's just no excuse for the overkill, It's just getting beyond a joke what a dog and his owner have to put up with these days :mad

I

You misinterpet me.

I don't think the attack was justfied. I think it was preventable. No approach = no attack. That's why I keep bringing up the issue of recalls.,

A dog and its owner don't have to put up with this if the owner exercises a reasonable degree of control. Why anyone who gave the matter thought would conclude that everyone enjoys an unknown dog rushing up to them defeats me.

Edited by poodlefan

I'm with poodlefan on this one.

I think the guy doing the stabbing was possibly some kind of nutter. Anyone going for a walk could be some sort of dog phobic, non dog speaking nutter. And that's why you don't let your dog rush up to them.

I'm lucky - for the most part - my dog crawls then rolls over and puts her paws in the air - 2m out from greeting - if I don't call her back because the person looks terrified or crazy or is a wheezing possum imitating jogger.

If she doesn't come back when I call, I'm mortified and apologetic and extra vigilant about recall training and her being on lead where there are potential/new distractions. Eg she doesn't get to be off lead at all when there are toddlers around. Or picnics...

Personally I've seen people seriously injured by rushing dogs who have crashed into them and knocked them over, or jumped on them. And I don't like being used as a slobber and mud towel for soggy labradors, or having big dogs sit on my dog when I'm trying to put her on lead so we can go home. Or having little dogs trying to hump my dog while the little dog owner yells blue murder at their dog for embarrasing them (as if the owner is not doing a perfectly good job of that on their own). I'm for having a discussion with other people about whether they want an interaction with my dog or not.

How did It go to from dog ran up to another walker to dog rushed at another walker :confused:

Aren't they 2 different things especially In the eyes of the law? Or Is a dog running towards someone automatically considered Rushing?

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/ipad/cyclist-stabs-man-and-dog-in-park/story-fn6bfm6w-1226052801852

ran / rushed

how does someone who can't read dogs tell the difference?

What do most dogs do when their favourite tennis ball is produced ready for throw?

What happens to a bicycle when a big dog runs into or under the front wheel?

No excuse for stabbing the dog - and given the photo in the second story - owner seems a bit prone to exaggeration - ie dog seems to have most of his head still there.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

haven't walked my dogs off lead in parkland for years and years. I have often carried a riding crop when walking my dogs on lead in parkland and am not afraid to use it on another dog. Just as well I prefer to avoid parkland and let my dogs run in an enclosed area where we are the only ones or I might have progressed to something more forceful by now.

I guess I am looking at it from the legal viewpoint.

Easy to pin this one on the guy who thought he'd stab a dog.

An avoidable situation all in all.

Do you think he'd have stabbed the dog if it had left him alone? There are plenty of people out there who are scared of dogs. This wasn't a small dog. Why make your dog a target for any human aggression by allowing it to approach stangers? :shrug:

Playing the legal arguments out, if this dog "rushed" the person, that's technically enough for a DD declaration.

All TOTALLY preventable. That's the point I'm trying to make.

MY only comments here is that the reaction was "over the top". I would be concerned as to why someone would be armed with a knife in public (for what reason & motive)and why the owner was then assaulted?

I take offense at the "wasnt a small dog" statement....if it was a sweet white fluffy would that mean the opinion stated here would differ??? Personally I fear smaller dogs biting me than larger dogs but ALL dogs have the potential to bite! (If I had a dollar for every judgement made on a dogs potential /threat based on size/breed id be rich)

http://www.heraldsun...w-1226052801852

ran / rushed

how does someone who can't read dogs tell the difference?

What do most dogs do when their favourite tennis ball is produced ready for throw?

What happens to a bicycle when a big dog runs into or under the front wheel?

No excuse for stabbing the dog - and given the photo in the second story - owner seems a bit prone to exaggeration - ie dog seems to have most of his head still there.

If you can't tell the difference from a happy dog to one who's being aggressive, then you've got some serious problems imo

He ended up having surgery for a deep stab wound so understandable In owners choice of words describing It

I'm sorry but the cyclist sounds like a fn fruit loop :mad And his excuse In stabbing the owner too was???

If we want to be picky then maybe rider shouldn't have ventured Into a dog friendly area, If he was concerned about dogs running up to him, I guess It works both ways don't It!

I

All PF is doing is emphasising that it was PREVENTABLE, which it was.

Dog Owners who allow their dogs to approach stranger and/or strange dogs run the risk that their dogs advances will be unwelcome. Of course not all will be stabbed I think we all agree that was extreme, but it the responsibility of the dog owner to keep their dog in their own space. I love dogs but detest owners who allow their dogs to get in my face and that of my dog/s. Just because you can see your dog and it is friendly doesn't mean it is under effective control.

All PF is doing is emphasising that it was PREVENTABLE, which it was.

Says who? It's possible that the stabber was an absolute nutter who was going to stab the owner and his dog regardless - leash or not.

It's just as possible that the dog DID rush at the guy, he stabbed it to protect himself, then owner reacted aggressively to this and was stabbed in self defence.

Don't know, wont judge. It's a media report not a police report ;)

That said I do think you reduce the chance of an incident by keeping your dog on leash/under control in public areas and/or not allowing it to approach strangers.

I just saw this on the news- this report said the cyclist got off their bike and came toward the dog and owner and then attacked them. The dog needed 30 stitches- thats one hell of a stab wound. Owners arm looked awful too.

I've seen people go into a blubbering mess at the sight crawling grovelling completely friendly dog.

They're definitely out there.

I agree the cyclist used unreasonable force and was a nutter. I find the people who start yelling at you and your dog, give you no chance to respond or call your dog or do anything helpful, they just go beserk.

Yet another good reason to keep your dog away from strangers. And keep an eye on the strangers as well as your dog.

If you can't tell the difference from a happy dog to one who's being aggressive, then you've got some serious problems imo

You've just described the overwhelming majority of members of the public.

The classic example: "a dog who is wagging his tail is happy". Nope, not always. :(

If the guy got off his bike and approached the dog to stab it, not that's not preventable. But lets bear in mind that was not how the original report described what happened.

Steve said he walked Hank at the park every day without trouble. "He's just a beautiful dog. He'd wander up to everyone and lick them," he said.

not to mention this comment too, which suggests he doesn't often bothering to recall, wonder if all the people he goes up to are equally thrilled, not everyone wants that sort of attention in the park.. Does not excuse at all the guys actions in any way, but I do think the owner also needs to consider other park users, and whether they all are meant to know his dog is friendly

Guessing everyone who suggested the dog shouldnt have jumped up all have perfect dogs who NEVER EVER misbehave.

pffft...

yes the owner should have effected more immediate to control to avoid the situation but Who the Heck walks down a suburban street with a knife! Ithink that is the more imprtant issue here...