My Long List Of Wanted Breeds

ellazpupz

The more time you spend with dogs the shorter the list should get. Some of those lists are incredible because the breeds are all so different to live with. You need a breed that suits your life and abilities, so I find it hard to fathom why anyone would want complete opposites in temperament, trainability and looks :confused:

Over the years I have looked carefully at a few different breeds, then discarded each one as a possibility and still have my original three breeds on my list. There may still be a Poodle one day, but I am not fussed on having to worry about clipping and scissoring. Love the breed, just not the grooming. So my next dog will either be yet another Border Collie or eventually a Japanese Spitz which has been my smaller, easier breed of choice for many years.

There are many other breeds that I love to admire but have absolutely no desire to own one.

I have Border Collies as of course you know but I also have the Wicked Whippet. Two TOTALLY different breeds and BOTH mesh well with us. I couldn't imagine living without either breed.

Why on earth would that be hard to believe? I adore my hairy dogs but I also adore the sleek lines of my Whippet. I love both breeds equally.

Better add breeds I covet:

Pomeranians (thanks to a very generous person I co-own two of these little gems)

English Pointer

Afghan

Standard Poodle

West Highland White Terrier

Akita

American Cocker

How's that for variation LOL

The Whippet doesn't count as another breed because they fit in with whatever other breed they live with. I bet yours thinks it is a Border (a spoilt bed warming one) and I know another that thinks he is a Japanese Spitz. :rofl: I think most people could live with a Whippet no matter what other breeds they have, because Whippets seem so adaptable.

Would you really want to live with the other breeds though ? Ok maybe the Poms, because they are so cute and so small they hardly count when adding up dog numbers and of course Standard Poodles are smart like Borders, but an Afghan or an Akita ? I think it is great to handle other breeds and get to know them but living with them is another thing altogether.

I absolutely intend to live with a different breed in the future if time and circumstances permit me to. I absolutely disagree that you can't happily live with different breeds.

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have enjoyed reading about all the different breeds on everyone lists there are some interesting choices. I have 3 rescues, a border collie X who is obedience trained, a poodle X and a Lhasa Apso X. I also have a pug who was my first choice of breed to own and show but even though he showed beautifully he was never going to go any where and as I found it extremely difficult to obtain another potential show quality pug I decided not to go down that road. I considered many different breeds when choosing my next show dog and stumbled accross a breeder of Petit Basset Griffon Vendeens who had litter on the ground and fate would have it I purchased Niles, he is such a pleasure to own that I am now the proud co-owner of a 6 month old Petit Bitch, Harlow and a week after getting Harlow I welcomed a Griffon Bruxellios(Dumbledore) into the fold. I love my little show team and will probably never own any other breeds.

I love to watch the Gundog ring as my daughter owns and shows pointers and the working dog ring as my daughters friend shows Aussies. I admire the work and training other owners put into their dogs and I love to watch them being shown but I will probably never own any other breeds as I am extremly happy with my Peebs and my Griffon Bruxellios, but you no the old saying never say never.....

I have attache a few pics of my fur kids....

post-33135-0-04395800-1305075152_thumb.jpg

post-33135-0-82599200-1305075216_thumb.jpg

post-33135-0-03248200-1305075246_thumb.jpg

then I'll probably be known as the crazy Lappie woman LOL

*cough* Aren't you already? ;)

Darn - and here I am thinking I was doing such a good job at pretending to be 'normal' LOL Better watch out WA - you could end up the same!! LOL

I blame my dogs for my present lappie obsession - they are rather addictive. For some reason, I now have 4! LOL ;)

Nooooooooo never! Though I have to agree, they are rather addictive - next dog will be another lappie. Now that Halo loves OH, he even agrees. ;)

Breeds I want someone to import so I can have one: Canaan Dog, Karelian Bear Dog, Jindo (ha!), Yakutian Laika, Japanese style Akita, Cirneco Dell'Etna.

Rumour has it these will be here soon. You will find sighthounds quite different to spitzs!

They sound very interesting. I have always liked the look of the Pharaoh hounds, but don't think I could live with one, these ones sound like a great little dog and rather trainable. Hmmm will keep a look out for these little guys :)

My heart belongs to my Sammys :D

However I would really like a Kees.

The three other breeds I covet are

Afghan

Saluki

Irish Setter

And one day I will get a little dog, I don't know what breed though :laugh:

Edited to add the dogs I have already owned or my parents owned while I was growing up

Alaskan Malamute

German Shepherd

Red Heeler

Bull Mastiff

Kelpie

Golden Retreiver

Foxxy

Staffordshire Bull Terrier

and of course my oh would never be without a Sibe.

Edited by SnoPaws

The more time I spend around dogs the less breeds there are on my list, I have learn't that many breeds just don't suit us or our lives.

Currently I am at:

Samoyed (can never have enough Sammie's)

Bullmastiff

Afghan or Borzoi

Keeshond

Karelian Bear Dog (need to import one into the country first)

Hahaha.. glad to be of service narrowing your breed choices ;)

I like the way so many people have been adventurous in looking at the less well known breeds. Like, I'm happy to see at least two people putting Tibetan Mastiffs on their list. If you ever get one, can I have visiting rights? :)

I'm just adding 4 breeds that I think are hidden gems in the dog world:

Cardigan Corgi

Smooth Collie

Welsh Springer Spaniel (where did that glorious colouring come from?)

Standard Poodles

Interesting thing is Tibetan Mastiffs are not a breed I would recommend to anyone but.. maybe Lilli :laugh: I lucked out that Indira is 'broken' :D

Irish Wolfhound

Cane Corso

Dogue De Bordeaux

You can have my feral 3yr old if you want. She has been running around like a mad thing all day long and the boys keep joining in in bursts too. Not good when you are trying to study :laugh:

The evil Raz sent me a link to video of a stampede of excessively adorable baby corgis -

That kind of cuteness should be illegal :mad

The more I see Pembrokes, the more I want one. Total opposite of the sort of thing I usually prefer (sighthounds) but so appealing for some reason.

I have a long list of "I wants" (comes with working at a kennels) but realistically I will probably never own these breeds, I'm stuck on Boxers :heart: My heart breed. Although I would like a Dobermann one day to accompany my Boxers.

But I love:

Boxers

Dobermanns

Cane Corso

Bullmastiff

Great Dane

Amstaff

Brittany

French Bulldog

Bostons

English Springers

Vizslas

GSPs

Malinois

Akitas

Bearded Collies

Aussie Shep

English Bulldog

I can't really think of another breed i'd like other then the Aussie Shepherd - they just seem to fit so well with my lifestyle!! And I can't wait to add another Aussie to my family!! (although, these lappies have really caught my eye - I fully blame everyone on here for that :laugh: ).

Although, I'd really love a little dog - and I really like the paps!! So they're on my maybe one day list!!

Lottie have you have the pleasure of meeting a Lappie?

They are VERY enchanting. It's almost impossible not to want one after meeting one. :p

I have managed to escape unscathed, thus far :p

They are VERY enchanting. It's almost impossible not to want one after meeting one. :p

Same for me too :laugh: I make the impossible.. possible!

Guest Clover

I used to drive my friends wild with a "dog breed of the week" - and it changed about that frequently. I've got a shelf full of dog breed books as a result.

Eventually I nutted it down to the breed/s I knew I liked and could live with no matter what. I've got no regrets. I still am interested in a lot of different breeds but can't see me getting anything other than poodles or Whippets.

That is me :rofl:. Ohhh and i have met Lappies and i still dont want one :p.

But currently on my list is.....

Pyrenean Shepherd

Border Collie

Malinois

DDB

Toy/ Standard Poodle.

Min Pin

Afghan

Borzois

Edited by Clover

I didn't make it :laugh: