Maremmas For Sheep Guarding?

♥Bruno♥

Hi there, just a quick note - maremmas are just fantastic. I had the most incredible boy who chased of his first eagle just 3 months old, let me know of every single snake in backyard (but luckily never fight one) and my kids were using him as a horse (don't ask...) and if nobody was home and in the night he was hapilly guarding our sheep. Then we got another pup from so called "respectable" breeder... Poor little chap was the most miserable, aggresive dog I have ever seen. I do not write this to warn against the breed I do warn againt breeders!!! Please, please if you want Maremma do your research and buy from good breeder and go see the parents. By the way my new Maremma pup was born last week - cant wait to have her!!!

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hi Steve can you please recommend working mareema breeders in Qld? A guy I work with is interested in getting one or two more for guarding his sheep and would like to know of a good breeder he is in the Toowoomba area. He has a mareema already but he doesn't think it is a very good worker he is also concerned that if he gets a pup it might learn bad behaviours from the current one do you think this would be a risk? Would it be better for him to try and get an adult?

TIA :)

• 3 weeks later...

So Here is the question. I have a litter here - beautiful - except one. What do you do with a mini Maremma.

This little girl is about a quarter of the size of her litter mates and is an obvious dud.Appears to happy and healthy but looks like a maltese.

Hey steve what happened with your tiny maremma?

I have a tiny anatolian.

Smallest pup I have ever seen and the lightest birth weight. But vigorous and strong; compact size :D .

I have named her Mimi :heart:

Edited by lilli

So Here is the question. I have a litter here - beautiful - except one. What do you do with a mini Maremma.

This little girl is about a quarter of the size of her litter mates and is an obvious dud.Appears to happy and healthy but looks like a maltese.

I have a tiny anatolian.

Smallest pup I have ever seen and the lightest birth weight. But vigorous and strong; compact size :D .

She is now about 15 weeks old and still smaller than she should be but she has grown into a beautiful girl. She goes to her new home on Thursday where she will live on a property with Dorper sheep and a whole heap of other animals as she has here.

She is now about 15 weeks old and still smaller than she should be but she has grown into a beautiful girl. She goes to her new home on Thursday where she will live on a property with Dorper sheep and a whole heap of other animals as she has here.

thankyou for that update ...I was also wondering how she was going, Steve :)

I have a tiny anatolian.

Thanks Steve,

That is what I am hoping for Mimi

:thumbsup:

Edited by lilli

• 4 weeks later...

I just found this thread while doing some research on maremmas. We will be moving to 5acres shortly and will have a hobby farm. I've lost chickens and poultry to foxes in the past and the acreage we are moving to has a high number of foxes.

We have small children so I was looking for ideas for a guard dog for the family as well as stock. A maremma or pyr sound ideal.

It sounds like you really need to understand the breed before getting one so I will do plenty of research on breeders etc.

The info on here has been fantastic, thanks!

Do the Maremmas or Pyrs need health testing of any sort?

I just found this thread while doing some research on maremmas. We will be moving to 5acres shortly and will have a hobby farm. I've lost chickens and poultry to foxes in the past and the acreage we are moving to has a high number of foxes.

We have small children so I was looking for ideas for a guard dog for the family as well as stock. A maremma or pyr sound ideal.

It sounds like you really need to understand the breed before getting one so I will do plenty of research on breeders etc.

The info on here has been fantastic, thanks!

Do the Maremmas or Pyrs need health testing of any sort?

Hi

I agree that Linda van Bommel's Journal is an informative guide but it's not perfect.

The husbandry of Maremmas, for the unitiated, is a daunting task and fraught with risks.

However, with the correct attitude and the right support, these dogs can be an invaluable asset.

Nevertheless, the privilege of owning a Maremma, or four, :grimace: is unequalled.

This video shows these dogs working in full splendour.

•Marco Petrella

Scroll to 4:00 minutes on the 'time bar' to see these amazing dogs at work in Italy.

If the link is not registering try the original.

:cheers:

Edited by Tralee

I arrived in Kazakhstan with a lot of speculation and arrogance about how we look after our dogs, and left humbled with a lot of admiration

Lilli, could you elaborate on that more?

From the outside looking in, it appears we care more for our dogs and as a result our dogs are better off.

But our extra care is weakening our dogs over generations.

So our dogs do not live as long, their nervous system and immune are not as strong.

Even seemingly basic assistance like worming and inoculation has an effect over time.

There are lots of things I see done in kazak that I would not do, but there are lots of things I wish we had.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Wow, I just caught up on this thread! Such a wealth of information in here, thanks to everyone for sharing.

We have decided against the idea of using Maremmas. They just aren't suited to our needs, but I am in such awe of the work they do. We are currently building our sheep numbers and are close to 30,000 at the moment, which means by this time next year we may be well over 40,000. We don't feel that it is feasible to run as many dogs as we would need to, to ensure stock losses are reduced to a point where the dogs are paying for themselves. This is mainly due to the mob structure we run and the paddock set up. However in the future who knows! We are looking into the possibility of trialling the Maremmas on just the stud flock, so maybe 5,000-10,000 sheep and seeing how they go. But this will be in the future, once a lot more research has been done by us. Like most things with farming, it comes down to cost vs benefit and at the moment we can't justify it.

Total bummer for me, but I think a lot of it is the fact that I just love dogs and love the thought of having more :laugh:

• 3 months later...

This thread is amazing-I am looking to get myself a Mareema (i think) becausea fox just killed most of my chickens the other nite, however I am hopin if anyone can tell me what would be the difference between a Mareema and a Pyranese Mountain dog-i have read the whole 11 paes and it hasnt been asked so i thouht i would. Also another question i have is if i wanted both a Mareema and a Pyranese would that work out well? Thanks

Wow, I just caught up on this thread! Such a wealth of information in here, thanks to everyone for sharing.

We have decided against the idea of using Maremmas. They just aren't suited to our needs, but I am in such awe of the work they do. We are currently building our sheep numbers and are close to 30,000 at the moment, which means by this time next year we may be well over 40,000. We don't feel that it is feasible to run as many dogs as we would need to, to ensure stock losses are reduced to a point where the dogs are paying for themselves. This is mainly due to the mob structure we run and the paddock set up. However in the future who knows! We are looking into the possibility of trialling the Maremmas on just the stud flock, so maybe 5,000-10,000 sheep and seeing how they go. But this will be in the future, once a lot more research has been done by us. Like most things with farming, it comes down to cost vs benefit and at the moment we can't justify it.

Total bummer for me, but I think a lot of it is the fact that I just love dogs and love the thought of having more :laugh:

Hmmm. Your cost analysis seems to me to misrepresent the Maremma Sheepdog and I think that is unfair.

If you have decided against procurring Maremmas or dogs to protect your property then I certainly respect your reasons.

However, my dogs cost around $1 a day to feed and that includes fresh meat; chicken, lamb and beef.

All this and I keep my dogs, sometimes in the burbs and other-times on farm.

Veterinary costs add to my expenses but against your losses of quote; "up to 50 lambs per night (that's $7,500 in one night)" end quote I am easily able to maintain all my dogs for a year with money left over, which I should add includes fences when on farm.

I think, to be fair, your reasons are other than the cost of keeping dogs and I am sure they are warranted.

Anyhow here is a link to an equally large property using Maremmas with great success. Guardian Angels

I wish you well

Px

post-3970-0-41208300-1324245136_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tralee

Tralee does the liver pigmented nose in that photo affect working dogs in the sun?

That is Arawn Caergwydion Lumen at work at Ponda Estate Wines at Wallington in Victoria.

Cancer is not unknown in the Maremma and Helen Brennan at Coominya nursed one of her dogs through it.

Cancer does not discriminate between depigmented dogs and dogs with full pigment.

My dogs seek the shelter of full shade and I am sure that Lumen aka Louie has ample shade too.

In fact I have been assured of it.

Px

• 3 months later...

Hi All :)

There's not much I can add to this video except to say I am extremely happy about 'him'.

And a big thank-you of course to Tracey Frigo at Ponda Estate Wines.

:thumbsup:

Edited by Tralee

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...