Morning Or Night Walks

kiesha09

When do you walk your dog?  

73 members have voted

1. 1. When do you walk your dog

• Before work in the mornings
    • After work at night

I normally walk my dogs after work each day at about 6.30pm. But this morning I took them for a walk before work at 6.30am because I have to go out tonight. While I was walking around the streets (in daylight instead of in the dark)it made me wonder if it is better for them to have their walk in the morning.

What do you do and why?

I prefer to walk them around 5:30pm after work for a number of reasons, 1. I'm not a morning person and I'd have to walk them at 5am in order to be on time for work. 2. I don't want to rush through our walk just because I have to get ready for work. 3. It's way too dark and cold in the morning.

Of course, that said, in summer I do take them at 5am (and it kills me!) as it is too hot later in the day.

They don't care either way so long as they get one!

Early mornings, mainly because it takes the edge off and they will be left alone while we're at work for the next 9 hours. I try to be out of the house by 6am and walk for 45 mins to an hour. At the moment it's just getting light by the time I get home!

Edit: I also like mornings because there are less people and dogs out and about to annoy us :D

Edited by wuffles

I honestly don't think it matters.

What matters is the dog getting out of the back yard.

My answer would be different if this were the height of summer. I'll walk in the coolest part of the day then and that tends to be the morning.

Charlie - both... although lately, in mornings he gets walked in the stroller and properly walked in the night. he is more energised in the evening and will walk further than 1 or 2 houses before turning around and taking himself home.

Emmy - both.

both :) When I lived in suburbia - it was a 2 walk a day routine :) 1 was normally a controlled walk, though... and one was mostly a free run in parks/paddocks. I used to do the morning one at 5:30 am ..and the other after work ...

Whichever part of the day I can (with little kids) :D

Evenings during the week, sometimes morning on weekends if we are going out in evening, otherwise afternoon/evening then too. When I only had the one child I did a walk in the morning with the pram as well. Once I sort out how to organise that with two, I will start it again.

I voted mornings because if they are left home alone during the day I feel it's better that they have had the exercise before hand to wear them out a bit IMO. I don't always do this though as I like my sleep. If I can get the motivation to wake earlier I would do it this way though.

I prefer mornings as I prefer to walk in the daylight but during winter it is too hard to get out of bed in time so I do them straight after work (2 separate walks :( )

When it gets to summer I will walk one in the morning (younger one) and one in the afternoon (older one because she doesn't need to go as far) I might take the young one for a second walk in the arvo during summer because it is still light until late in summer.

Both ... but mornings are getting harder :laugh:

Yep, my 7am morning walk is fast turning into an 11am one :o

We usually do two walks per day - morning for the dogs sanity and afternoon for mine. I do prefer early morning walks when I can get motivated though.

Week days evenings only,I can take them for a longer walk at night and it seems to settle them. Weekends they usually get two,one morning and then usually a run to the beach or an off leash area in the afternoon.

I don't think it matters, it's always good to see dog people taking their dogs for a walk.

In summer I will sometimes do it later in the day, winter may see me walking late morning .

Morning walker here. In winter this is not much fun, as it is still pitch black and usually below zero. But trial and error has shown that is what works for me. I just don't stick to it in the afternoons - too tired after work and it is too easy to make excuses. First thing in the morning it is just part of my routine, and the dogs hold me to it as well. Plus they are left in the house while I'm at work, so this way I know they've been to the toilet and got a lot of their energy out before I leave for the day.

ETA: Finn doesn't cope well with other dogs when we're out walking on lead, so it is much more relaxing to do it early in the morning when we see very few others.

Edited by kiwioz

Either! Depends if I have 5:30am workshift or not. Sometimes will walk between PT clients and work.....I like going mornings as it means Chase will sleep for most of the rest of the morning or day but sometimes he wants to keep sleeping and so do I!

I needed to vote BOTH, but it's counted as before because that's what I clicked first!!

One dog gets 20 min every morning befoe work and then about 1 hour after work, the other gets about 30 min after work.

I think it depends on yyour dogs particular needs. Kenzie would be horrid all day I think if she didn't get some beans out in the morning, and I want to sleep well so she needs it in the evening also! Em just needs it for sensory stimulation and keeping her basic fitness, so she potters in the backyard when Kenz gets her morning walk (as she has to stay inside all day at the moment) and then gets to go out in the street/park when I get home - she's too slow for me to be able to take her on a walk also in the morning. Time does become a factor!!!

Both, they get at least an hour every morning when the kids have gone to school, mostly offlead .

Then 45mins to hr around 5ish , much later in summer. can go for hours if i meet lots of people and stop for a chat :laugh: