When Can Puppy Go To Adult Formula?

giraffez

I assume you're talking about kibble and not powdered milk.. And it depends. Some breeders think puppy food is a crock and put the puppy on adult from the start. Some breeders don't let their buyers off puppy food until the 2 year mark. What does your breeder have to say about it?

I have retrievers and I swap them to large adult formula from about 4 months. I believe it helps to slow their growth and with a breed prone to hip and elbow problems I would prefer they didn't have huge growth spurts like can sometimes happen on puppy formula.

I go on the recommendation of my breeder and vet so I would ask yours and see what they suggest for your breed.

I never put pups onto puppy food in the first place and advise clients to do the same.

I like to grow them slowly and most puppy foods for me grow them to quickly.

This can cause growth problems and having a running breed I stay away from it.

Now after saying all that,I must be truthful and say I do wean my pups onto Optimum Puppy

but only for a few weeks then onto adult food.

I go on the recommendation of my breeder and vet so I would ask yours and see what they suggest for your breed.

Funny you should say that. I know it isn't a vet, but a vet nurse practically had a go at me and made me feel like I was not doing right by my 6 month old (at the time) Lab when in conversation I told her I had switched her to adult formula. She said she feeds her almost 2 year old Golden Retriever puppy food and I should not have mine off puppy food so soon. I did not take her advice, but I was icon_smile_mad.gif at her attitude towards me. She then wanted to give me a brochure on why I should be feeding puppy food, only to be handed an Advance brochure :rolleyes:

why anyone would want to feed a fully grown dog puppy food is beyond me. :shrug: No way in hell a dog nearly 2 is a puppy.

I buy the last bag of puppy food at 8 weeks. When that runs out then they go onto adult food.

why anyone would want to feed a fully grown dog puppy food is beyond me. :shrug: No way in hell a dog nearly 2 is a puppy.

Maybe she thought as long as it acts like a puppy, it must still need puppy food? :laugh:

If that's the train of thought, then I will be feeding my Labs on puppy food until the day they die!! :rofl:

I have Shelties and mine are generally off Puppy food by 12 weeks. Mine then switch to the Premium adult kibble. My vet was the one who told me to get them off the puppy food early. I suppose it really depends on the breed though.

TB

I have my 12 week old BC on Adult Black Hawk as advised by a lot of DOL's using this product. Only problem is, I am not too sure how much he should be getting. At the moment I am feeding him as much as my adult BC gets & I guess I just watch his weight to see that he is not putting it on too fast.

I keep mine on puppy food until they're between 10-12 months old. Akira stayed on it until she was 12 months, and the reason for that was that she was still developing muscle so I wanted her to have as much protein as she needed to do that because she's an active dog.