Border / Cairn Terriers

charley101

Hi

I have been thinking about getting a second small dog for a while and someone mentioned that border terriers are less

barky / reactive than some of the other terrier breeds. If anyone has any good or bad opinions on them i would love to hear them.

also what do you think of Cairn Terriers ?

Edited by charley101

I love border terriers. Very chatty and very enthusiastic about life ie not laid back about anything. I think Chewbacca's voice is based on the border terrier chat.

And you won't have any rodents in your back yard.

I met a cairn x border (breeder breeds both and had an oops). And it was over the top excitable. But um, I used to make it worse by super enthusiastic greetings. Eventually the owner rehomed it because she couldn't cope. Unlike my dog, you couldn't leave that one alone in the car without it ripping the seats to bits.

PS all the borders I've met are friendly with other dogs. But they all bark - unless you train them not to.

Edited by Mrs Rusty Bucket

Border Terriers are the only terrier breed where breeders seem to be able to run all their entire males together without a problembecause they are totally non-agressive. So a very different temperaments to all the others in the group. Generally they are happy friendly little dogs.

No idea about Cairn temperament.

Well I am biased ;)

I love the Cairn as they are wonderful with kids, easy to maintain and are a great outdoor, indoor or both dog. They are natural clowns too and there isnt a day that goes by without me having a giggle or a roll of the eyes...

They CAN be destructive (insert Dexter here SWAY) if left to thier own devices and like any other dog can bark or dig when bored. They are smart but have a high prey drive (ie cats and birds) but can get along with them in the same house hold if they are brought up with them.

They do not bark for no reason at all or are toy/ball nuerotic like some terriers can be either.

Hope that helps?

dancinBCs is correct about the Border, as they were bred to hunt as a pack alonside the horses. I have had issues with males together (but there were entire) but I have heard of desexed/desexed males being ok. My bitches run together. Its all about pack dynamics as well. :)

Edited by Missymoo

We have always had terriers and added a Border Terrier to the bunch several years ago. She is certainly the easiest dog 'within the pack' and causes no issues with anyone of the dogs. (3 entire bitches and a desexed bitch, she is desexed also). She's very patient with the other dogs and doesn't get involved in any disagreements, if they are too rough for her she grumbles and moves away.

Gracie never really destroyed anything, she would rather dig, and boy can she dig a big whole quickly! laugh: She alert barks and doesn't just bark for the sake of it, but often sees or hears something before the rest of the pack and sets them off with her yap or two.

Super tough little breed who are happy to be inside or outside. Robust and most seem to be great kids dogs. They are certainly popular with junior handlers here in the show ring.

They aren't as much terrier as most others, which makes them a bit easier to live with and possibly an easier introduction to terriers for someone who hasn't had much to do with the group of breeds before.

The forum member Leema breeds Borders and would be a good person to have a chat with for more information about these guys.

My Auntie had a cairn terrier .. my aunt was in her 70's when she got the dog..and this little dog was so forgiving and wonderfully personable :) She had my Aunt trained :o and was not the most obedient .. but put up with everything ..and was always SO pleased to see us - those twinkly eyes would shine out a warm welcome :)

Guest Willow

My first dog was a Border (I was 5). She was a wonderful dog, but jeez, she could CLIMB!!! She used to regularly scale our 6 foot fence, then freak out at the drop on the other side, so would hang there like a spider & whinge until mum came out & rescued her.

My first dog was a Border (I was 5). She was a wonderful dog, but jeez, she could CLIMB!!! She used to regularly scale our 6 foot fence, then freak out at the drop on the other side, so would hang there like a spider & whinge until mum came out & rescued her.

Awww! :laugh: Our Grace has never shown any interest in climbing out but she sure knows how to dig out. Once she worked out their was better things on the other side of the fence she could chase (chooks, cats, other dogs, even roos :eek: ) it was a battle to keep her in when we went out. She now lives inside when we aren't home, just in case she ever gets the urge again, and she's quite happy chilling inside, I think she'd sleep all day if she was allowed.

If you do go with a Border Terrer have a read up about CECS: http://www.borderterrier-cecs.com/

It doesn't seem common in Australian Borders but it certainly is here. There's no testing which can screen for it yet but just something to be aware about if you do end up with a BT.

PM SpikesPuppy, she has three Borders and I'm sure would love to talk to you about them. Great little dogs, whenever we catch up I ensure I get Border loves or cuddles.

Actually, SP just told me to direct you to her website - www.straitupborders.webs.com

She also has a FB page if you go looking for it.

Edited by SmoothieGirl

ohh, i would love one of each!! I know a few of each breed and am totally in love, but no way i could give them what they need... so i dont think i will ever be lucky enough to own one

Not all borders are dog friendly, i've come across a few who are just aggressive with any dog that takes their fancy, one even had a go at my Giant Schnauzer - luckily for the BT I got infront before any damage was done.

The ones that come for grooming are generally good with people but again, there is the occasional one that just has to snap without warning.

Cairns have all been nice dogs that I have met, though interestingly a couple that were nearly black (one had a yellow undercoat) both started out as blonde/yellow coloured dogs for the first couple of years of life!

I have a 13-year-old Border, Tammy. I have had her since she was 9 months old. For me, I think they are one of the best of the terrier breeds as they are not too aggressive or barky. Tammy doesn't bark much but loves to patrol the fence line (we live in a rural area), and has lived quite happily with our past dogs (Bull Terrier and Labrador) and now with our 2 Cavaliers. She will however tolerate some dogs, and have a snap at others - there's just no way of knowing which ones she will like and which ones not. She has never had any health problems and is still fit (although sleeps a bit more these days). She always liked a pat, but was never really a lap dog until the last few years. She has always been a bit timid, but I don't think that is typical of the breed. She did chew things for about the first 10 years of her life - hehehe, many's the chewed up things I hid from my son and never told him about. I think they are great dogs, with the typical terrier spirit, but not excessively so.

The general consensus here is correct... Borders are generally more laid back, and less dog-aggressive than the typical terrier. Of course, as any breed, there are exceptions to the rule.

Borders are less fiery/fiesty than cairns, on general.

I don't have a problem with any of my borders barking individually, but together they cause a din! Again, they are generally laid back compared to other terrier breeds.

I have never had escape artists with my borders, and didn't have diggers until my import came along and taught everyone how it's done! Now they all dig.

I'm happy to answer any border questions. Sorry this is brief - I'm on my phone. :)

Cairns are lovely dogs. I had always had large dogs, but couldn't as I was living in a townhouse. My little guy was great....a wonderful personality, very independent and easy going. He did like to dig holes though and all the lizards from the backyard disappeared. A great family dog, but definitely not a lap dog. He was easy to train and content on his own. Very calm in comparison to some terriers. I would of had another one when he passed on, but to me he was irreplaceable.

Thank you for all your posts they have been really helpful. Borders do sound pretty good to me although i love the look of the cairn as well. I just need to convince my other half we need another dog now :0)

The general consensus here is correct... Borders are generally more laid back, and less dog-aggressive than the typical terrier. Of course, as any breed, there are exceptions to the rule.

I don't have a problem with any of my borders barking individually, but together they cause a din! Again, they are generally laid back compared to other terrier breeds.

My Borders throw their heads back and sing together :D

They're also the most versatile of breeds, able to compete in just about every sport they're allowed to - mine have done earthdog, agility, obedience, lurecoursing and tracking - all with a great deal of flair and enjoyment! Not sure how they'd go at herding however...probably just as well they're not on the list of herding dogs :rofl:

CECS (Canine Epileptoid Cramping Syndrome) is a bit of a worry, though. One of mine is symptomatic and it's distressing to see the look in his eyes when he is in the middle of a seizure - lucky for him they're not too bad at this stage.

But they're fantastic dogs and I couldn't imagine life without at least one...or two...or three!

I had and was involved with Border Terriers for a lot of years. They were a great little dog, got on with any others as was necessary for their breed. Only barked when alerting. Unfortunately over the last years there has been a change of temperament through some lines and, as mentioned, CECS has been introduced to this country through imports.

Some of the Borders around now I wouldn't want in my back yard so do all the research you can before deciding on a Border. Get the right dog/bitch and you will never regret it.

• 1 month later...

I had and was involved with Border Terriers for a lot of years. They were a great little dog, got on with any others as was necessary for their breed. Only barked when alerting. Unfortunately over the last years there has been a change of temperament through some lines and, as mentioned, CECS has been introduced to this country through imports.

Some of the Borders around now I wouldn't want in my back yard so do all the research you can before deciding on a Border. Get the right dog/bitch and you will never regret it.

I think it's only fair to point out that ALL of this breed has been introduced through imports, seeing that Border Terriers are not an Australian breed !