Pure Breds Out And About!

Maxiewolf

If I recall there was a thread like this some time ago (Im a bit bipolar with boards.. ill post for a bit then lurk for a year...post.. lurk.. so it was probably a while ago) ... but I did have to share, and In advance Im sorry I didnt take a pic I didnt have a chance.

But while I was walking around the block today on my lunch break I came across two REALLY NICE and I mean really nice, healthy stunning looking Ridgebacks.. they where just such a nice example of the breed and I had to smile at how nice they looked and really hoped that their owners where the responsible kind who had gotten their dogs from a registered breeder, asked for quality and clearly got it.

So besides your own... when was the last time you saw a nice example of a purebreed and did it make you feel good? (And... do you get those kinds of reactions over your dogs? - this is probably more for those who dont have a very popular breed of dog something you dont see all the time.)

I usually get 3 reactions on Brutus - 1. Ahhh! Its a Doberman grab your children and little dogs and flee! 2. OMG! hes sooo cute! *pat pat love love etc etc* (Brutus hates those people... NOT) or.. 3. your dogs illegal! how come you have a dog with a docked tail... blah blah blah.. (ironicly.. these people will go out of their way to cross the road.. come over to me and TELL me this..)

So on the rare occasion I get a compliment he is a nice looking pedigree.. yep i get the warm fuzzies for that too. You?

Thats one of my favourite things about goign to training and hanging out with dog people. The instructors are dog savvy so you run into nice examples of different breeds.

Where I train on Sundays there are 2 beautiful dalmatians, 2 gorgeous rhidges, 2 poodles, 2 cavs and a stunning boxer. None of which are my sort of breeds but they are all gorgeous dogs.

I love seeing good examples of any breed but I love even more seeing well behaved examples of any dog.

I've been thinking of starting a thread like this because I saw THREE Samoyeds on Sunday afternoon at the park! Two separate owners, lovely big teddy bears with less mud than my dogs :/

Same day, same park, a French Bulldog playing fetch like a healthy fit young pup should, not being cossetted like the only other frenchies I've met.

Plus a CCrested, a sociable GSD (and the antisocial GSD we often meet there), a handsome Weim and and and ... a Curly Coated Retreiver! NOT a usual day in this park!

Mine were unusually the odd cross breeds. They were mostly well behaved but with all the training in the world Stevie will still beg for food from anyone :(

I live in a tiny village in country Victoria. Population.....ooooh.....about 150-ish. I have 4 pedigree Australian Shepherds, and when I'm in our back paddock, I can see across the neighbours lot into another house that has a couple of VERY nice dalmatians. I don't know if they are show dogs, they might very well be, I have seen a dog trailer parked there with a kennel name on it.

One day over summer I wandered across the road from our house to the cricket ground to see the local match, and met a guy taking his beautiful Neopolitan Mastiff for a walk. Not often you see one of them out and about, in fact the only place I'd ever seen one before was at a dog show.

Up around the corner is an old Alaskan Malamute, who trots out to say hi (or bugger off, depending on his mood).

Someone here breeds poodles, I have seen their ad on the DOL puppy listings, but I don't know whereabout in the village they live.

I get alot of comments on my Westie - people tend to adore and admire them. People seem to always have positive experiences with them. I constantly get stopped by people and they me they used to have a Westie, or their neighour has a Westie, or their Son has a Westie, or they met a Westie the other day...and hear all about these other Westies LOL

So I think maybe, perhaps...it is possible that my Westie is not the only sociable adorable good Westie on the planet.

Where I live there aren't that many purebreds, and even fewer that appear to be well bred.

However one day I was walking my Digby dog and nearly dropped dead to see a couple with a pram walking an Anatolian Shepherd!

I had to stop them and ask about her - she was amazing!

One day over summer I wandered across the road from our house to the cricket ground to see the local match, and met a guy taking his beautiful Neopolitan Mastiff for a walk. Not often you see one of them out and about, in fact the only place I'd ever seen one before was at a dog show.

I've never heard of this breed and my brain automatically thought "a big, chocolate, strawberry and vanilla dog". :rofl::o

I live in a pretty well off suburb (although I think I might have dropped the average income quite significantly since moving in :laugh: ), and I'm constantly staggered at how people with bag loads of cash seem to go for cross breeds or really baaaaaaad examples of purebreds. Although...the neighbours do have a nice Lagotto and the other neighbour has a veerrrrry handsome Dogue. Did see some nice Deerhounds, their owner was a bit astonished that I knew what they were. The rest seem to mostly ooodley things or maltiley things. At work I'm always drooling over some nice dogs.

There's a gorgeous male English Mastiff at one of my dog parks, whose owner now has one of his sons also. The son is probably a few months old now, and they're both the most well behaved things, it's great. So gorgeous together :thumbsup:

There's also a Chow Chow male and his daughter. And a really shiny, athletic Ridgeback that I am completely in love with. Oh, and an ex-working BC whose owner is trying desperately to teach how to play and stop working... it's a bit of a losing battle though, and has been for a long time by the looks of it! That dog chases some SERIOUS frisbee.. :laugh:

Now that I'm thinking about it, there are lots of gorgeous purebreds in the parks that I frequent. And a lot of beautiful crosses too. Not that I've ever met a dog I don't like!

Saw some gorgeous purebred dogs on Saturday at the bark in the park - I am sure I saw a Swedish vallhund but I couldn't ask the owners as I was too far away and then I never saw them again. My bloodhound gets a lot of attention although some people get him confused with Basset hounds. I also saw a leonberger - and was pleased to see so many purebreed dogs there.

For me a purebreed is a dog with proper papers and I cant see just by looking if they got that or not. Im always happy to see dogs going for walks while I think there are to many spending their lives in the backyard. Every dog out there on a walk makes me smile :thumbsup:

I've never heard of this breed and my brain automatically thought "a big, chocolate, strawberry and vanilla dog". :rofl::o

LOL! They are really quite an amazing looking dog......not at all pretty though. They look like something out of a fantasy novel, very extreme features and probably not everyones cup of tea but if you saw one, I'd guarantee you'd be staring at it for a while!

I get alot of comments on my Westie - people tend to adore and admire them. People seem to always have positive experiences with them. I constantly get stopped by people and they me they used to have a Westie, or their neighour has a Westie, or their Son has a Westie, or they met a Westie the other day...and hear all about these other Westies LOL

So I think maybe, perhaps...it is possible that my Westie is not the only sociable adorable good Westie on the planet.

Yep...I reckon you are correct Sky, when people stop to say hello to my lot they always have the same story of knowing someone or having had a Westie. I bought a old postcard with some Westies on it off ebay and the seller said her next-door neighbour had one :) ..getting back to the topic...there was a beautiful Ridgeback at the John Goss park in West Chermside on Saturday 12th (Westie Clubs BBQ day)

You mightn't have heard of one but if I recall correctly... havent seen in a while but Im pretty sure "Fang" out of the harry potter movies is a Neo. I just rmemeber laughign when I saw it as a kid that i actually knew what that dog was when people in the cinema with me didnt. :laugh:

I had the pleasure of meeting a Pharaoh Hound at our training a couple of weeks ago, just beautiful dog. I had never seen one in real life outside of photos, so it was pretty exciting! I also met the most personable Doberman :D

Also I ran into three Leonbergers down at the markets a couple of months ago, my OH has fallen in love with them.. Added onto the list of dogs we may one day own.

I had never owned a purebred dog until I had Greyhounds.I get exactly the same 3 reactions as you Maxiwolf when out walking.

1:Quick grab the kids here come those baby eating monsters.Yep good luck out running a greyhound(fools)

2:A lady once said OMG he is the most divine creature I've ever seen(chuffed)

3:Those things(THINGS!)shouldn't be allowed in public(f#** off)

I see two dobermans almost every day.They are stunning and so well behaved unlike my two,Stan doing his hooked marlin impersonation and Maddie yodelling at the top of her voice with excitement.I saw two vizler puppies the other day(gorgeous) and two Prague Ratters so cute.