What's A Terrier?

DobieMum

Please don't get me wrong, I know what a terrier is. But my 10 year old yesterday asked me "Mum, you know how there's staffordshire bull terrier's and airdale terrier, APBT and Australian silky terrier, so what does the terrier mean?" :eek: Please help, cause I've got no definative answer for her. Don't you hate curiousity some times? :laugh:

Yes, I understood it as digging, earth dogs, although I dont know what stafforshire bull terriers dug up. :shrug:

Their 'terrier' comes from their origin... To get the stafford they original mixed a Bull breed with a terrier - so I guess they just kept the 'terrier' in the name.. And why wouldn't they... it sounds flash, just like the breed :)

so, is there really a breed called Bull Terrier?

Absolutely... But the original 'terrier' that the stafford was bred from was the old english terrier (if memory serves me correctly) and this breed no longer exists.

Bull Terrier:

post-1950-0-57836300-1309043514_thumb.jpg

a snippet from wiki (not the most accurate of all sources but it appears basic from memory)

Early in the mid-19th century the "Bull and Terrier" breeds were developed to satisfy the needs for vermin control and animal-based blood sports. The "Bull and Terriers" were based on the Old English Bulldog (now extinct) and one or more of Old English Terrier and "Black and tan terrier", now known as Manchester Terrier. This new breed combined the speed and dexterity of lightly built terriers with the dour tenacity of the Bulldog, which was a poor performer in most combat situations, having been bred almost exclusively for killing bulls and bears tied to a post. Due to the lack of breed standards—breeding was for performance, not appearance—the "Bull and Terrier" eventually divided into the ancestors of "Bull Terriers" and "Staffordshire Bull Terriers", both smaller and easier to handle than the progenitor.[6][7][8][9]

Link

Again from the great Wiki but it does cover most of the basics.

Most terrier breeds were developed in Great Britain and Ireland. They were used to control rats, rabbits, and foxes both over and under the ground. Some larger terriers were also used to hunt badgers. In fact, the word terrier comes from the Middle French terrier, derived from the Latin terra, meaning earth. The Kerry Blue Terrier and Airedale, however, are particularly noted for tackling river rats and otters in deep water. Different localities raised terriers suited to their hunting or vermin control needs. Terriers were crossed with hunting dogs, fighting dogs, and other terriers. In the mid-19th century, with the advent of dog shows, various breeds were refined from the older purpose-bred dogs. All of today's terrier breeds are bred primarily as pets.

The gameness of the early hunting terriers was exploited by using them in sporting contests. Initially, terriers competed in events such as clearing a pit of rats. The dog that was fastest in killing all the rats won. In the 18th century some terriers were crossed with hounds to improve their hunting, and some with fighting dog breeds to "intensify tenacity and increase courage".[1] Some of the crosses with fighting dogs, Bull and Terrier crosses, were used in the blood sport of dog fighting. Modern pet breeds developed from the Bull and Terrier, such as the Miniature Bull Terrier, are listed by the Fédération Cynologique Internationale (FCI) under Bull type terriers.[2]

I've owned a Lakeland Terrier in the UK. Lakelands used to go with a pack of foxhounds and when the fox went down a hole, the Lakeland was sent in to grab the fox and bring it out. They have strong back legs and are completely fearless, it was easy to see how the boy we had would have operated. Lakelands are really not the dog to suit many people.

I love terriers though, they are certainly frequently busy and reactive types of dogs but super intelligent.

Edited by dogmad