Didn't Know What To Say

Although I have strong opinions on all things doggy I rarely voice them to people, especially if I don't know them well.

Today at work a colleague came to me and asked had I seen a picture of her new puppy. I said no and asked what kind of puppy she had ans she proudly told me it was a Cocker

Spaniel. I was pleasantly surprised and assumed that she had purchased it from a breeder...... then she showed me a picture of a 10 month old CS cross that was matted and it's coat had been hacked at (she said groomed) by it's previous owner before she picked it up.

Another colleague asked when she got it and how much she paid for it. Apparently it was a give away in the paper and she only saw the ad yesterday and went and got the dog immediately. In her words "you don't pass on a free Cocker Spaniel". The lady was giving it away because it was her daughters dog and she wasn't looking after it properly (the daughter is in high school).

She was really happy and pleased about having this dog and I really struggled not to say anything negative to her about it (I did point out that CS need regular grooming and can have ear and skin problems) and I'm hoping that the poor little dog will at least get more attention that she was but I have a feeling that as this was an impulse acquisition on my colleagues behalf and she is fairly young (early 20's) that she too will tire of having to look after this dog and then it will be passed on to another clueless person.

Would any of you have said anything more to her about this? I mean what's done is done, and who knows, she might be a great and responsible owner but maybe there was something I should've said to make her really think about this and if it was really the best thing for her or the dog.

Maybe you could print out some info or buy a little book about the care required for this breed. Pop a little ribbon on it and say it is a puppy welcoming present. That way you are giving her some valuable information without coming across as rude.

I did this with a friend of mine, whose husband went to the pet shop to buy a fish and came home with a puppy :(

She is a beautiful friend and I didn't want to offend her, so sent her something to read and learn from.

Danois - I didn't say anything to her really, just kind of smiled and made all the appropriate noises, and honestly I really wouldn't say anything to someone (unless they had done something cruel or really stupid). I was just wondering what others would/have done in a similar situation.

I really don't know this girl very well as she has only recently started at my work (about 6 weeks) and as she is the receptionist I don't have much to do with her. I guess I'm just worried about this dog and I really hope that it all works out well for them both.

Just be supportive - and just ask relevant questions such as to make sure she has a vet and that she goes in for a check and vaccinations and ask if its had any training. If not perhaps suggest some local places she could go. You'll get further just making suggestions of stuff to remember than coming across with the 'you are young you will stuff up you dont know about owning dogs'.

Perhaps it was an impulse or perhaps she had thought about it for a while and when one came up she just thought she'd grab it.

It doesnt hurt to ask how its going and offer advice on what she could try to fix and issues - in time she might ask you for advice who knows.

I have always tried to deal with things on a "What's done is done" basis. There is bugger all point telling someone they shouldn't have got X kind of dog. If they already have the dog, you either be helpful or you shut up.

In this case, I would probably say something like "they can be a bit tricky to groom, let me know if you get stuck with it I might be able to suggest something" or "Fifi's Grooming Palace are really great at grooming, I would take her there".

i would just offer support, tell her to try and find a good groomer, and a trip to the vets to check ears etc, you could say as the old owner wasn't that good, perhaps she should just get the dog checked.

it may well be pure, just badly bred.

and who knows, she might be a great and responsible owner

Exactly. Just because she got the dog free out of the paper and it's a bit matted up, doesn't mean she might be a bad owner. It might have been just what the dog needs and could live a happy, well looked after life with your colleague... Or not. But as you said, who knows! :)

Edited by RubyStar

I agree with the others offering support.

Ask her quite often how the dog is going. She sounds excited about her dog so she may be keen to tell you all about him/her.

Mention that you have had a few dogs so if she has any questions don't hesitate to ask. If you keep it friendly and not too intense she may be very receptive and will learn heaps.

I'd perhaps buy her a card and pop inside a list of helpful people - vet, groomer, training classes and just a message that you have dogs yourself and might be able to offer some help or advice if she wants some assistance with something.

I would buy a small gift for the dog, bowl, toy or something like that and I'd put a lovely welcome card in it with all the appropriate words and I'd also include a list of vet, groomer, place or website to get the best deals on dog food etc based on your long experience of having dogs. Be very upbeat in your words...things like 'have included a list of all my favourite doggy service providers... thought it might be of help and hope you like them too !' .... oh and other than that I'd keep my thoughts to myself 'till I saw how it was all going to turn out.

Maybe you could print out some info or buy a little book about the care required for this breed. Pop a little ribbon on it and say it is a puppy welcoming present. That way you are giving her some valuable information without coming across as rude.

I agree, but I have always become friends with people I work with. I think the gift suggestions are a really nice idea. Good on you for caring :)

Thanks guys.

Just to make myself clear, I didn't want to have a go at this girl or anything like that, I was just thinking what, if anything, I could/should of said to make her aware that she may not have gotten a great deal here and to be aware of the issues that can arise from getting a dog you know nothing about from a person you don't know at all and all because it was free and 'purebred Cocker Spaniel'.

I really do hope it works out for the best. At least the dog is getting some love and attention, didn't sound like it got much from it's previous owners :(

Thanks guys.

Just to make myself clear, I didn't want to have a go at this girl or anything like that, I was just thinking what, if anything, I could/should of said to make her aware that she may not have gotten a great deal here and to be aware of the issues that can arise from getting a dog you know nothing about from a person you don't know at all and all because it was free and 'purebred Cocker Spaniel'.

I really do hope it works out for the best. At least the dog is getting some love and attention, didn't sound like it got much from it's previous owners :(

I think in time you could start conversations about these sorts of matters :)

Atleast she's is not lining the pockets of a pet shop or BYB. Really she is just giving a dog a home :)

The deal is done. Now is the time for positive education. Give her the tools to learn how to care for the dog and point her with a positive helping attitude (sharing in her excitement) in the right direction. In time she may come to see for herself that it wasn't the best way to do things and it will change the way she does things in future. Telling her now what mistakes she made - particularly when she is so excited about her new dog - will only come across badly no matter how good the intentions.

Edited by espinay2