Tracking Owners Through Dna Poo Printing

samoyedman

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/weird/us-community-introduces-dna-poo-printing-for-dogs-to-catch-owners-who-dont-clean-up-after-their-pets/story-e6frev20-1226086665353

A newly opened Long Island rental building has ordered up DNA-sampling kits for dogs as a way to catch scofflaw owners who do not clean up after their pets, the New York Post reported Sunday.

It would be the first genetics-based poop patrol in New York.

The pilot program at the Avalon Bay Community complex in Rockville Centre, a village in Nassau County, has already ordered four "PooPrint" kits that would require a saliva swab taken from each dog's mouth. The samples would then be sent to a Tennessee-based lab for analysis and entered into the DNA World Pet Registry.

If a groundskeeper then finds an offending mound in a common area, he would pluck a marble-sized sample from it and store it in a plastic tube. The sample is mailed to the DNA detectives at the Bio Pet Vet lab in Knoxville, who then match it to the offending dog.

The errant owner could be fined from $50 to $1,000, but that would be up to building management. That is on top of the $90 charge the tenant pays to sign up for the registry in the first place.

"I think it's a little extreme," said a new Avalon renter about the complex's pet police. But she and her daughter have no pets, and in any case, she said, "I would curb my dog."

Pet lab company executive Eric Mayer says the PooPrint program -- whose motto is "Match the Mess Through DNA" -- expects to have 300 franchises opened by the end of the year.

"It's like CSI. We build a database for the community," Mayer said.

I think it's a great idea. Take a walk around most areas in Melbourne, especially parks and there will be heaps of dog poo not picked up by lazy irresponsible owners. These sort of people lump themselves and law abiding dog owners into the same basket and then the dog community in general suffer. I offered to give a poo bag to a pug owner and she declined saying that she would come back later to pick it up. Huh? I hate these kind of people!!!!

great idea i think, only wish it was cheaper. Im sick to death of Dog shit everywhere. People dont realize a lot of dog areas are play grounds as well. what happens when little Johnnie the toddler trips and falls in dog shit? A good dose of E Coli or Giardia in the face :eek: Ive think Ive worked out a major perp in my dog park, would like to set up a camera in the tree to catch him

I loathe people who do not pick up after their dog.I live in a beachside suburb where the offleash area is in a beautiful spot where there are walkways along the cliffs and whale watching platforms and it is covered in dog shit.I mean covered!There was a wedding up there the other day and I was watching the bride and groom walking up to the lookout with her dress dragging along the ground.Would've been a hundred different DNA's under that dress by the time she got to the top.It's bloody disgraceful.These people who don't pick up their dog shit would be the first to scream blue murder if the offleash was taken away. :mad

what does she mean by she would curb her dog :confused:

"I think it's a little extreme," said a new Avalon renter about the complex's pet police. But she and her daughter have no pets, and in any case, she said, "I would curb my dog."

what does she mean by she would curb her dog :confused:

Probably she means she would stop her dog from defecating in the complex.

Not let it poop in the common areas perhaps? I dont know why they even quoted her because she doesnt even have a dog so it's irrelevant what she would hypothetically do. It would have made more sense to ask current dog owners in the complex if they carry poop bags and pick their dog's crap up - but ofcourse they would all say yes, I'm sure.

Here you go. Must be American - courtesy of the joyful urban dictionary

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=CURB%20YOUR%20DOG

Edited by raz

I had visions of ppl draggin dogs to the curb

That's what the 2nd entry says on urban dictionary (plus a bit more) but it's written by someone called tongueincheeky so I'd ignore that one. The first one is probably right - just not let your dog get into trouble which includes not leaving crap.

Would the DNA from a food of a raw feed dog interfere with the results?

No. I'm sure they select a region that allows them to identify K9, and to tell small differences between different K9's. A literal dog eat dog situation might pose problems, but in this case there'd be more worries than pooh.

Not let it poop in the common areas perhaps? I dont know why they even quoted her because she doesnt even have a dog so it's irrelevant what she would hypothetically do. It would have made more sense to ask current dog owners in the complex if they carry poop bags and pick their dog's crap up - but ofcourse they would all say yes, I'm sure.

Here you go. Must be American - courtesy of the joyful urban dictionary

http://www.urbandict...RB%20YOUR%20DOG

Curb just means restrain. It's most often used in reference to misbehaving children. Has nothing to do with the noun 'curb' (maybe it did at one time).

Curb just means restrain. It's most often used in reference to misbehaving children. Has nothing to do with the noun 'curb' (maybe it did at one time).

Yep I've heard 'curb your behaviour' but in Aus I've never heard 'curb your dog' so I thought that must have just been an American saying. I like it and might start using it now when I see someone not picking up after their dog's poop.

Would rather see New York City spend all that money cleaning up its filthy restaurants and stop killing all the dogs in some of the pounds first. http://www.facebook.com/StopTheSlaughterAtNYCACC :mad

And interestingly they weren't the first think of DNA dog poo testing!

Another low re-homing "shelter", Managing Director, Dr Graeme Smith, OAM, also had a preoccupation with the subject of DNA testing Dog Poo. Dog Poo Thing in Victoria full document

Extract from above link

......"The subsequent decision by Dr Graeme Smith to recommend charging an offender and DNA-test the dog poo achieved state, national and international coverage (including CNN, the BBC World Service (at least twice), the Guardian, the London Evening Standard, and The Times). In the end, DNA-testing did not occur as the dog owner would not supply a sample against which the original dog poo (stored meanwhile in the Lost Dogs’ Home fridge) could be tested. But this fact was never reported. The original media reports had the effect of winning huge publicity for the campaign and attracting inquiries from councils all over Australia. It inspired a sketch on the comedy show, Something Stupid.

The release of dung beetles into Port Phillip in late 1999 provided another opportunity to focus media attention on dog poo and responsible dog ownership. Dung beetles had been introduced by fourteen other municipalities in Australia from 1995 but without any notable media attention. The Port Phillip initiative was a first for Victoria. A leak to The Age by persons or persons unknown meant that the story broke three weeks before the dung beetles were due. The story on page 3 of The Age immediately precipitated a media frenzy which left the Council Media Officer wondering what to do once the dung beetles arrived. She conceived a dung beetle race, flagged off on the Elwood foreshore by the mayor, and made PRIA Victoria State Awards for Excellence 2000 a play on ‘beetlemania’ in the media release. As a result, the event got maximum state and national coverage, an Age editorial and was also broadcast to China, Taiwan and south-east Asia via Radio Australia.

The success of the launch beetle launch meant the Council Media Officer could persuade the Gasworks Arts Park to establish the Inaugural Dung Beetle Award for Responsible Dog Ownership at the Dog Festival on 8 - 9 April 2000. (The award was a jewel-encrusted dung beetle, created by a local artist). The mayor, now Cr Julian Hill, used the occasion to make a speech (also written by the Council Media Officer) about dog poo, responsible dog ownership and recite an ode to the dung beetle. This event was picked up by TNT, a UK magazine.

The campaign still has legs. Following advice from the Council Media Officer, an episode in the second series of the ABC drama about local government, Grass Roots, will focus on dog poo and rework many of the incidents detailed in the council media releases. Former Port Phillip mayor, Cr Dick Gross, who fronted numerous radio and television programs on thesubject with Dr Graeme Smith, has written a book chapter about the campaign in his forthcoming book, Drugs, Design and Dog Pooh. ..... "

Edited by Muttaburra