I Want A Good Gaurd Dog But...

flame ryder

I want a good guard dog but my dog just doesn't bark. She is a German Shepard cross, we got her from the pound when she was approx 18 months to 2 years old. We've had her for nearly a year now. I just want her to announce the arrival of any visitors with a bit of barking, I've had people standing at the door and she doesn't bark, she just stands there! I think its weird she doesn't guard bark as all my other dogs have been excellent guard dogs. It was clear to us that she had suffered some type of abuse before coming to us...perhaps she was beaten for barking??

Just wondering if that is the reason is there any way of un-doing that? I have another small dog who never barks either. No I don't tell him off for barking, he just hardly ever barks. How nuts is that...a two dog household and no barking!

Am I the only one with quiet dogs? What do you think makes a better guard dog...dog or bitch?

Hoping to add dog number 3 soon, hoping that will eventually grow into a decent guard dog.

I love them both but just wish they were better guard dogs.

I'm guessing what you want is a watch dog (alert barks to tell you when people come to the door/property) rather than a guard dog (will bite)?

Does your dog bark at any other time? At birds, in play etc?

Have they been taught to bark on command?

I have the opposite - but trying to find something I can use as a training trigger to teach her to bark on command, and then be quiet on command has been difficult. Look forward to reading the advice of the DOL experts :)

not all dogs bark to announce arrivals. we have 3 dogs and they rarely bark...they almost never bark when someone comes to the door or on our property but they do let us know by other behaviours....

just because your dog is a GSDx doesn't automatically mean she will guard for you...

dogs don't just "grow" into guard dogs...

if you want your dog to guard or I think in your case what you are talking about is a watch dog, you need to train a dog to do so properly

Edited by missmoo

I have tibetan spaniels & find they make superb alert dogs. When they bark, it's for a reason, like a stranger is on the property.

Not surprising, because that was one of the purposes they were kept for in the buddhist monasteries of Tibet.

Over the years, our tibbies have alerted us to a thief who'd come up into our verandah deck....& then tracked him when he fled at the sound of the dogs. And also interrupted another intruder who was breaking into one of the cars in the driveway.

They're a good dog to have alongside another that provides visual deterence. Like, a builder we know owns a dobe (who's actually a big sweetie) & his wife owns a tibbie. He finds them a good 'security' team. The tibbie is sharp in warning about an intruder....& then the dobe wanders out to take a look.

My female lab is a great watch dog.

She also barks on command.

We are traning her to go into her crate when invited visitors come though as the barking and carry on is a bit intimidating for some.

For anyone uninvited/unwanted she is taken to the front door by her collar and encouraged to bark.

she'll also bark if anything out of the ordinary occurs (eg sister coming home at 4am)

I would train your dog to bark on command.

I trained my dog when she was a young pup (around 9 weeks), basically by getting her worked up and rewarding for any sound- it didn't have to be a full bark.

It helps to use a marker word or clicker for this as you can mark very slight improvements and behavoiurs.

Once your dog knows bark on command, ring the door bell or knock on the door and give her the bark command. She will soon catch on.

I would count my blessings!! :) Living in suburbia and having non-barking dogs would be a wonderful wonderful thing - :) The neighbours would be happy ...you won't get council on your doorstep after complaints ..and you won't get sued for 'aggressive, threatening dogs" !!

My female labs is also a great watch dog. She had a big bark and most people look twice as you would not expect it from her.

My male lab is useless ;) He very rarely barks at all.

My female Rotty is an excellent watch dog. I can tell my the her bark if if is someone on the street or someone actually walking to the house. Lucky she makes most people think twice before entering our yard because as soon as you come in the gate her barking changes to a "pat me" bark :laugh:

Edited by buddy1

I love the sound of your dogs... or lack of sound... *grin*

Don't let their quietness belie the fact that they would probably quite happily defend you with whatever force is necessary if there ever was a need for it...

As for which sex might be the "better" guard/alert dog... it depends on how you train them... however, I have found that my females are more into that "training" than my males.

P.S. Do you want my Zeddy? She puts on the most terrifying display when strangers come to the door... but she is really the biggest cuddle tart you'll ever find... *hehe*

T.

My last GSD never alert barked. Used to be funny to see the look on peoples faces when you opened the front door and they had a large GSD looking at them. So if intruders couldn't read the warning sign on the gate, they were in for a shock - fortunately we never had to test it. :)

My two Lab girls alert bark . . . to flying plastic bags, garbage cans that have been put in something other than their usual place, kids roughhousing next door. Also, if I say 'hello' in a loud voice, they go sailing out the door barking and looking for something to bark at. But I've had people come right up to the door and they just go out and wag and ask for attention, quietly. I'm ok with this. When they bark, they just bark once or twice . . . and the neighbors are happy with the noise level.

My first thought is can she bark ?

If you have never heard her maybe she can't ? They may have cut her vocal cords or it may be psychological. You may not be able to undo or fix this.

I would not worry about this too much. Maybe get one of those motion sensor things that you can put near your front door that make a barking noise.

I also wish my wouldn't bark. You would think we had 20 burglers in here the way they carry on

I want a good guard dog but my dog just doesn't bark. She is a German Shepard cross, we got her from the pound when she was approx 18 months to 2 years old. We've had her for nearly a year now. I just want her to announce the arrival of any visitors with a bit of barking, I've had people standing at the door and she doesn't bark, she just stands there! I think its weird she doesn't guard bark as all my other dogs have been excellent guard dogs.

A dog will 'guard' mostly because of an instinctive tendency to be territorial and protect their perceived territory from intruders. The dog will show this naturally, and then needs training and good leadership to ensure the dog is under good control and knows when to stop guarding.

This is something that is a genetic trait. So by choosing dogs from the right bloodlines, you can choose one that is more likely to have this instinct and behave in the way that you want it to.

It was clear to us that she had suffered some type of abuse before coming to us...perhaps she was beaten for barking??

Can I ask why you think it is clear? Some dogs are born with nervous temperaments and are easily frightened by things despite being treated well.

Just wondering if that is the reason is there any way of un-doing that? I have another small dog who never barks either. No I don't tell him off for barking, he just hardly ever barks. How nuts is that...a two dog household and no barking!

Am I the only one with quiet dogs? What do you think makes a better guard dog...dog or bitch?

Hoping to add dog number 3 soon, hoping that will eventually grow into a decent guard dog.

I love them both but just wish they were better guard dogs.

The simple answer is no, you cannot 'undo' your dogs temperament. You can just modify its behaviour and teach it that it is rewarding to perform certain behaviours.

Dogs don't 'grow into' decent guard dogs. Genetics determines their level of territorial defence drive. Aside from this instinct, dogs are either born to be fairly brave, or they are born to be a bit nervous. They could be anywhere in between.

The important thing to remember when buying dogs, is to buy the dog to suit the purpose. Do your research and find a breed that suits your needs and your capabilities. Then do further research by finding a breeder that is breeding for the qualities that you want.

If you want to rescue a dog instead of getting a pup, get one from an organisation that assesses the dogs and cares for them in foster homes. That way you can find out whether the dog you are going to buy will act in the way that you want it to, before you bring it home.

I would count my blessings!! :) Living in suburbia and having non-barking dogs would be a wonderful wonderful thing - :) The neighbours would be happy ...you won't get council on your doorstep after complaints ..and you won't get sued for 'aggressive, threatening dogs" !!

Ditto :)

My female labs is also a great watch dog. She had a big bark and most people look twice as you would not expect it from her.

My male lab is useless ;) He very rarely barks at all.

My female Rotty is an excellent watch dog. I can tell my the her bark if if is someone on the street or someone actually walking to the house. Lucky she makes most people think twice before entering our yard because as soon as you come in the gate her barking changes to a "pat me" bark :laugh:

buddy1 - Too funny...

I have two excatly the same :D

My very pretty / petite Lab girl has a big deep bark and always alerts us when things aren't right - has from being a puppy..

My big imposing Lab boy does nothing - except for a brief period when his bark "broke" and he went from high pitch to a lower pitch and I think just barked due the novelty factor :laugh:

The reason I wondered if it could be something physical if she has never barked is also that nervous dogs, timid & shy dogs can still bark & often do. Sometimes they may bark more than the confident laid back dog who do their job & let you know & then shut up.

How they behave is partly their training & nature but I would be concerned if she never barks at anything ever ? All dogs bark at some time whether it be a little or a lot.

biggest mistake i ever made was encouraging my English Setter to bark at sounds... it became his "job" and he does it all the time. I do not encourage my other dogs to bark and they rarely do (probably because Spartan is the alerter), however if there is something of concern, my Weimaraner barks. The type of bark she lets out tells me if it's a serious concern or not. I have become desensitised to Spartan's rediculous barking habits but I feel safer knowing I am only alerted when it is a serious concern to my girl.

Bella always barks when people come to the door, Casper stands next to her, wagging his tail, waiting for the visitor to come pat him. If it is a stranger at the door, I leave the security screen locked and talk through that, with both dogs standing next to me. I think they find Bella intimidating, she has a glare that can make your knees buckle whereas Casper has a big goofy grin.

From what I read here, it looks like girls are more into alert barking than boys! ;)