Seasons And Keeping Dogs Separate

-Megz-

OK So my 8 month old bitch Stafford is due into season, she's starting to show some signs and that's all good. Just wanted some ideas on keeping my guys apart.

I have an entire Beagle as well and he's 9 months old, currently they are spoilt rotten and sleep in our room and on the bed by the time I wake up in the morning. This cannot keep happening for the next few weeks for obvious reasons.

I have the option to send the Beagle to his breeder for the few weeks but we'd prefer not to, we have considered using our trailer but I'm concerned of the heat issue (it would be undercover and with fans but this is Darwin). We also have crates and could crate both but I can see that getting loud as our Beagle is a bit of a mouth.

What do you do if you have entire males and females together if you are away for the majority of the day? Just hoping for some brilliant idea that I haven't thought of really :laugh:

We locked her in the courtyard with a neutered male friend, and him in the backyard with a neutered female friend. It was noisy (he was 10 months old and went as far as trying to climb trees to get to her, and screamed the place down) but effective. It was not, however, fun. Not in any way, shape or form. In fact I'd go so far as to say it was the week from doggie hell.

Indoors for both in seperate rooms. Preferably rooms some distance apart if you are not going to be there. I did have one big dog that ate a hole in the door once :eek: but this was not to get to a bitch, however you never know.

You can't crate if you are not going to be there for most of the day, too long. It can also be distressing & make them worse if they are not used to a crate.

If the male howls a lot give him a big dose of Tranquil Paste, helps sometimes & won't do any harm. You sort of get used to it all & deaf.

I bought some of that bitch spray once ... basically citronella spray you spritz around the girly bits :laugh: my boy got a bit excited, ran over expecting some tasty bitch scent and copped a nose full. He shut up after that :rofl: I found rubbing a little perfume around the dogs nose too can help if they get particularly vocal

Sending your boy back to the breeder sounds like it would be best for your boy.

It is very stressful for a male dog to have a bitch in season right under his nose.

My boy would stop eating, scrath up wooden doors, howl and even try and jump through glass windows and doors.

My males are only silly for the days my girl is in peak (thankfully!) so we just play musical doggies. Two inside, two outside and swap (offcause the girl is outside under supervision). When I went out they just went into our runs outside.

In your situation sounds like sending him to his breeders might be the way to go.

Never underestimate the powers of a dog when a girl is in primetime :laugh:

However, from experience the first season does not seem to be as "powerful" (for want of a much better word) as the subsequent seasons and your dog, being only 9mths, has not fully reached maturity (though may be perfectly capable of siring so don't be complacent) and it may be his first taste of a good thang so this season may only hit him when she's in primetime. In which case you will probably have a window of about 5 days tops where he really is a pathetic male :laugh: and you have to be uberwatchful and you can figure out what works for the next season. Like I said though, don't be complacent about that bit :)

You can't keep them in crates all day - do you trust them to be in a room by themselves without destroying the house? If they are good inside, then keep the bitch inside and keep the boy outside UNLESS your fences are indestructible and your yard is like Fort Knox and then you can play swapsies. I'd also take extra time to run the crap out of him to tire him out so he is less likely to play up.

Other than that, give the boy a holiday (you are lucky to have that option!) and yourself a break from what can be a stressful time!!!

However, from experience the first season does not seem to be as "powerful" (for want of a much better word) as the subsequent seasons

I would agree with this.

I would definitely send your boy to the kennel. You are lucky to have this option! If I could I would send my boy to my mum's place, but he is an escaper!!!

Because I cannot send my boy away I keep my girl inside and my boy outside. I am lucky as my boy is generally a quiet dog, however he still does cries for hours on end day and night for about 4 days. He also stops eating for about 2 days. I am lucky though as his crying is not too loud - it is more of a whimper - so he is not too disturbing to the neighbours.

If you boy is vocal, there is a good chance he will be very loud.

I cannot have them indoors as I have a very open plan house and only have door on the bedrooms and bathroom. The good thing about keeping your boy indoors is he will not disturb the neighbours - but you won't get any sleep!!

It is not a fun experience for you or your boy. He will be far more stressed at home than he will be going away. Also you will get very frustrated with him when the crying and howling and he will not stop!!!

MAybe mine is broken????, he doesn't go off his food, doesn't whinge, just gets a bit of a sad look occassionaly and is slightly more velcro than normal, but I think that is more the fact they can't snuggle on the lounge together than anything.

He still trains and trials and has actually got an ET pass, a CCD pass and a Novice Club trial pass.

MAybe mine is broken????, he doesn't go off his food, doesn't whinge, just gets a bit of a sad look occassionaly and is slightly more velcro than normal, but I think that is more the fact they can't snuggle on the lounge together than anything.

He still trains and trials and has actually got an ET pass, a CCD pass and a Novice Club trial pass.

Lucky you.

No velcro with my boy - I cannot even pat him for as he is in such a state. He looses so much weigh, not just from not eating, but the constant pacing from door to door and not sleeping!

The last heat, which is just ending, I had to keep them apart longer than normal as my bitch was growling and snapping at him.

Edited by buddy1

I send my boy away. He is quite polite when she is coming in - just sort of stands in front of her and dances while she gives him daggers. I have an arrangement with a friend where I get her bitch when she's in season and she gets my dog, or if mine is in, same deal. last time, the girls were in sync and came in within a few days of each other, but my bitch had her last season a month early and had a litter, so it's all thrown out again now. It's good though - our dogs just slot right in to each others houses comfortably enough which I am very grateful for.

My boys are stoooopid to the enth degree when a girl is on! Crying, panting, not eating, pacing and nights are a disaster, wanting to go out for 5 mins, then in for 5, then back out again :rolleyes: We've also got the back garden where teh girls are fenced off otherwise they'd spend all night sniffing at their runs, scenting, over scenting, you name it. When Chester was whole, he lost so much weight through refusing to eat it was scary and he was so bad in primetime that the last resort of 1/2 an ace was used just so we all could get some shut eye (dogs included!). Chopping him has cured that to some degree though he still thinks he can mount anything with 4 legs (much to his brother's annoyance!!)

I should not skite here :D but we just bring our bitch upto my partners place where she is housed with our other 2 cut males & our other cut bitch

while our 3 entire males are at my place, Malika normally spends at least 3-4 weeks there :D

Edited by murve

Thought I'd bump this topic as my youngster has just started bleeding. Thank goodness both dogs are crate trained! Ziggy is getting lots of training and exercise to distract him from his hormones and with a little juggling all is good so far. He has been a bit velcro too. Em is busting to train still so I am using the chook yard with 6 ft high fences (when the chooks are in their pen) to keep her thinking and exercising. It will be an interesting learning curve but I have a back up plan to send Em to her breeder for a few weeks if it goes pear shaped! I said I'll swap her for her sister or another youngster just to give me a pup to train :D

I sent one of the girls to Grandma & Grandpa's for a holiday and then my oldest girl came in a few days later. Thank goodness my boy is pretty well behaved and doesn't howl or sook. I didn't think they would appreciate two girls over there. I could send him but he is a bit of a mummy's boy plus I have had shows to do as well.