Children And Dogs

Keira&Phoenix

Liam Perk's Story - Liam was 2 years, 11 days old (Pulled from the Foundation Website, link at the bottom)

Warning: Slightly graphic and very heart wrenching (tissues needed)PLEASE DO NOT READ THE STORY IN THE QUOTES IF YOUR ARE EASILY DISTRESSED.

STORY HAS BEEN DELETED - As multiple users have complained that it is distressing even after I posted warnings.

The reason I have posted this is because of a few threads I have seen on this and other forums, but also because it is just really fantastic information that they have gotten together and made available. If this website saves a life then it is worth it.

This is such a sad story but rings too true. This lovely couple lost their baby boy because they missed the small warning signs and a dog lost his life even though he was just following his instincts. The website for Liam's Foundation provides some fantastic information on doggie body language and what to look out for, especially around children. Joey and Carrie need to be applauded for their hard work following Liam's death. Hopefully they will help to educate and int he process save children and dogs lives.

Please pass this on. This information in invaluable and the more people who read it the more people who know. Please pay special attention to the tab "Lets Talk Dog".

http://www.liamjperkfoundation.org/index.html

RIP Liam and RIP Lloyd may you both have found peace beyond this life and keep each other company until your Mummy and Daddy join you.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

I think I understand your reasoning for posting this but personally I found that really distressing to read & the piece itself offers no helpful information. I am sure I won't be the only one upset by it.

Is it necessary to post the story? Maybe just post the link and an explanation?

I agree with deelee - in fact the warning about the tissue made me think it was a heart warming story? Please put a note in the title at least.

FWIW, I know many dogs living in chaotic households with nerves of steel that have never done anything like that. Supervision can only do so much - people with kids need to get dogs with nerves of steel.

If you read the information it is about being able to read and see the warning signs. Many people think they have a dog who is "bomb proof" with kids but might actually be missing the warning signs. I also agree though choice of dog when there are kids in a household is also very important.

Just to clarify, I also found the story distressing and had a bit of a cry when I read it but I think the story makes the message and what Liam's parents have done much more meaningful.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Maybe I shouldn't have read that... we have two very young girls and getting our first dog on Saturday

Don't let it upset you AG. It was a freak accident, not a mauling by an out of control dog. Use common sense and good management and you will be just fine.:)

In regards to the story I find it sad, but not helpful sorry.

ETA, there is some good info in the link. Perhaps that could be posted instead?

Edited by SecretKei

I never said the story had anything about the warning signs in it. I said the story makes what is in the information on page which is in the LINK much more meaningful and poignant and I feel that what his parents are doing is only truly represented with the story.

I have put up several warnings. You did not need to read the story if you didn't want to.

In fact I have put this up on a few forums and this is the first in which the users have complained about it.

There is a warning in the title - why censor the poster ( I agree with your statements about why the story is important) - check out the link - some very useful info especially for people with their first dog and kids.

Edited by frufru

Maybe I shouldn't have read that... we have two very young girls and getting our first dog on Saturday

Yeah, I shouldn't have read it either and already have the young girls and dog. :(

There is nothing at all on how to deal with dogs and children in that story. Only one paragraph mentions the accident, the rest is a horrible emotive breakdown of the tragic result.

Don't worry AG, for one thing you will have a pup entering the family as the last member. You are used to being vigilant with small children, supervising their interaction with the pup will come easily. :)

K&P- I read the links and they are great. :thumbsup:

To be honest, now that I have also read the mum's story, I think that one is more informative in regards to the dog attacking.

Edited by dee lee

I think the story is very sad, and clearly distressing to some people. Although, apart from the sad story, there is some good information under the 'Lets Talk Dog' tab. I skimmed through the story, not really in the mood to cry.

Edited by Brennan's Mum

I found it really interesting, thankyou for posting it, i will be showing my kids it tonight.

Wasn't brave enought to watch the youg gsd, i could see his ears were back and he was licking, so new what he was about to do.

I found it really interesting, thankyou for posting it, i will be showing my kids it tonight.

Wasn't brave enought to watch the youg gsd, i could see his ears were back and he was licking, so new what he was about to do.

I did too. the note from Liam's mum should have been posted here instead of the dad's story tho.

I will show it to my step son and i have learnt a few things too!

Thanks for the positive feedback. Glad that you have gotten something from the story.

Yes I agree the note from his Mum is good as well. I just found the story written by his father a much more moving piece, well written and the exact reason people should keep their eyes open for these signs. The dog didn't mean to kill poor Liam unfortunately the dog hit the wrong spot, so even warning snaps/bites can be deadly.

Juice - The GSD lunges and bites at the guys face but doesn't seem to do any major damage. How the handler could not see how uncomfortable his dog was is a mystery though. Lots of signs in that dog.

Edited by Keira&Phoenix

Juice - The GSD lunges and bites at the guys face but doesn't seem to do any major damage. How the handler could not see how uncomfortable his dog was is a mystery though. Lots of signs in that dog.

Watching that, the handler deserves a good boot up his butt for letting the guy's face get so close!!! :eek:

I always freak when I see small kids go up to dogs to "kiss" them :( .

My kids have been taught from day one not to go near any dog's face- even our own very docile dog. There is such a miniscule margin of error that close.