How Do You Deal With How Other Ppl "discipline" Your Dogs?

BC Love

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think, if you are having kids over who are not as dog savvy as yours - yes, Roy should be kept away.. or be with them on leash, with you.

It will save him being branded as rough/naughty/whatever.. and will show the kids what a responsible owner can do to ensure safety :)

..there are activities for kids to learn how to play around dogs, etc - Who knows the neighbour's kids may then educate Dad ;)

LINK

Thanks for the link - the mention neighbour has a gorgeous but untrained rotti (Roys best dogfriend!!)that he locks away when anyone goes to their house or their kids are in the yard. Sounds like I have been to soft on my man though!!

BClove I'm not sure about being too 'soft', positive training can take a bit longer with something self-rewarding like jumping up, but I think it is still worlds better than punitive methods which can have unpredictable effect on a dog's psyche (and hence behaviour).

To the people who say 'you should have control of your dog at all times', this is in the OP's home, she isn't taking him down to the local park and letting him terrorise the local children. Training takes time, and pups don't always have the best self-control.

If a random dog jumps up on me, I always fold my arms and turn my back, not because I mind being jumped on, but so I don't sabotage anyone's training. Then no-one gets offended. But if someone drops randomly into your home and threatens violence to one of your family members, that's a pretty jerk move I'd say.

BClove I'm not sure about being too 'soft', positive training can take a bit longer with something self-rewarding like jumping up, but I think it is still worlds better than punitive methods which can have unpredictable effect on a dog's psyche (and hence behaviour).

To the people who say 'you should have control of your dog at all times', this is in the OP's home, she isn't taking him down to the local park and letting him terrorise the local children. Training takes time, and pups don't always have the best self-control.

If a random dog jumps up on me, I always fold my arms and turn my back, not because I mind being jumped on, but so I don't sabotage anyone's training. Then no-one gets offended. But if someone drops randomly into your home and threatens violence to one of your family members, that's a pretty jerk move I'd say.

Oh yeah - by harsher I only meant maybe keep him on a lead - nothing physical :) I guess thats my problem (and what I find annoying!!) - it is my house, my dogs yard and its not just once a weeks - its all the time!!

I agree with RalleyValley. If they are always at your house shouldn't they take turns and play at the neighbour's house sometimes? This would get rid of part of the problem. Otherwise I wouldn't let the kid or the dad around when the pup is out. Your house. Your rules. It takes time to train a pup.

If anyone threatened to hit my dogs, that person will not be allowed in my house...EVER!!!

I would cut off all connection with someone like that.

Your house, your rules. And if your neighbour can't respect that, then he should not be coming to your house.

If you want them to continue visting your house then you would have to crate your dog while they are there, or have the children play inside while the puppy is allowed to play outside.

Oh yeah - by harsher I only meant maybe keep him on a lead - nothing physical :) I guess thats my problem (and what I find annoying!!) - it is my house, my dogs yard and its not just once a weeks - its all the time!!

well tell the kids they can't come over as often then. Or lock up the dog. If he does cause harm, real or imagined, do you want to deal with the fall out? My daughter's best friend was terrified of dogs and a 8 week old puppy running around had her run screaming to her parents. They weren't amused, mostly cause it was a GSD. And you know what damage they can do :rolleyes: That's when I started keeping my dogs away from visiting children, wasn't worth the hassle.

I always locked my dogs away when visiting children were around. I was protecting the dogs, not the kids.

Hell yes!

:laugh: same

Me too! Learnt from a bad experience after some vile child scared one of my dogs with a laser stick thingo. I failed to protect once, never again.

BC I didn't think you were about to be harsh on your dog, I was talking about your neighbour.

It can be easy to think that people are generally well-informed and caring dog owners after spending too much time on DOL, but then when you mingle in the real world and hear things like 'I'll let her have at least one litter just so the children can see puppies being born" or "i have complete dominance over my dog, so he does whatever I say (without actually doing any training)". I don't have any idea how to deal with these people in a constructive way, so I sympathise but I'm lacking in actual advice I'm afraid :laugh:

BC I didn't think you were about to be harsh on your dog, I was talking about your neighbour.

It can be easy to think that people are generally well-informed and caring dog owners after spending too much time on DOL, but then when you mingle in the real world and hear things like 'I'll let her have at least one litter just so the children can see puppies being born" or "i have complete dominance over my dog, so he does whatever I say (without actually doing any training)". I don't have any idea how to deal with these people in a constructive way, so I sympathise but I'm lacking in actual advice I'm afraid :laugh:

Hehehe - me too!! I dealt with him earlier b4 by getting pretty grouchy!!! I'm taking everyones advice on board here though - will have a look later when Im down the street and buy one of those really long leads so I can keep him within a few metres when the kids are over.

Hehehe - me too!! I dealt with him earlier b4 by getting pretty grouchy!!! I'm taking everyones advice on board here though - will have a look later when Im down the street and buy one of those really long leads so I can keep him within a few metres when the kids are over.

Keep him out of your house if he doesnt know how to behave himself in another person's home. You say he has an untrained dog but is telling you what to do and what he will do to your puppy? Crate the neighbour! he sounds like a dickhead.

As others have said, put the puppy away while other kids are in the house to keep the pup safe. And tell the father to bugger off.

Long leads are good, just be careful if the dog is tethered to something they can sometimes get a run up and a nasty snap at the end of the leash. My boy did this once on a 10 m lead while I was distracted, he was wearing a collar and flipped over from the neck down, it still makes me feel ill just thinking about it (he was fine, but I learned a lesson).

Long leads are good, just be careful if the dog is tethered to something they can sometimes get a run up and a nasty snap at the end of the leash. My boy did this once on a 10 m lead while I was distracted, he was wearing a collar and flipped over from the neck down, it still makes me feel ill just thinking about it (he was fine, but I learned a lesson).

I (or OH) would be holding the lead :) Roy would probably do exactly what your boy did!!

I always locked my dogs away when visiting children were around. I was protecting the dogs, not the kids.

Me too...other than for a few specific children.

As far as other people disciplining my dogs, I have no problem with most of my friends enforcing what they will allow from my dogs. I would not be happy about a stranger doing it though. And obviously I feel hitting any dog is neither acceptable nor effective.

I have no problem disciplining friends dogs at my house. Same as I have no problem disciplining other kids at my house. My house, my rules. If you don't like it, don't come, lol.