How Much $ Do You Spend On Your Dogs

Guest Panzer Attack!

cha-ching  

184 members have voted

1. 1. How much do you spend (monthly) per dog?

• $50 or less
    • Between $50 and $100
    • $100-$200
    • $200-$300
    • $300+
  2. 2. How many dogs do you own?

• Between 5 and 10
    • 10 or more
  3. 3. Can you easily afford the amount you spend?

• Yes
    • No
    • Yes, if I sacrifice buying myself luxuries

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have 3 and I spend about $200 a month for all of them. I feed mostly raw food so about $10 a week of minced chicken frames and then add the veggies, eggs, yoghurt etc. I also buy turkey legs and wings as they are cheaper per kilo than chicken and they are big enough for the Dobe, they also get pork or red meat bones once a week and whole fresh sardines.

I would buy kibble maybe 2 times a year and I only worm them once a year (if they needed it more regularly I would do it) and flea treatment if they need it (I haven't used a flea treatment in over 3 years). They were all vaccinated this year so I probably won't get them done for a couple of years, however they do get the proheart injection yearly and while we are in NT they also get a vacc for Lepto.

I buy a new toy for the Dobe and JRT once a fortnight and the 2 smaller dogs sleep in our bed so I only have to have a bed for the Dobe and I got him a innerspring cot mattress from Target for $90 and I predict that it will last for at least a year or more.

All this may soon increase though as OH really wants to get a BB pup but I am trying to convince him that another Dobe would be a better option :)

:laugh: Actually it's my birthday coming up and I just placed an order for one of these last week,and a harness and bungee, yes my dog is involved, so not all the dogs toy, it's mine as well :rofl: That might bump it up a bit.

:) Lotsa fun. My scooters on order, can't wait to have my own!!

What kind of dog do you have GT?

I've always spent excessive amounts on Zeus and since Kirah's come into my life, I've gone even crazier! I'd probably spend between $1000 to $1500 each month on food, treats, toys, collars, leads, blankets, bedding and general well-being items (worming/flea treatments, shampoo, brushes etc).

I'm pretty bad though when it comes to buying dog stuff because I get bored with collars and leash colours quite quickly and buy new ones nearly every other week! :o

And I'm forever buying dog blankets and bedding because I want my bubbas to be nice and warm during winter and toys ... I have a destructo dog so the squeakies don't last all that long! :mad

Did try to cut back on my dog spending; am still waiting for that to kick in! :laugh:

Guest Panzer Attack!

Holy crap, I don't feel so bad now! :laugh: Willow, you shouldn't feel like a bad mum, you are my idol!! I wish I could only buy the basics.

I went a little nuts when I first got Scooter because I've never had a puppy before, never had a coated breed that needed regular grooming (my Pom x only needed a brush twice yearly, max) and I've never had a dog that liked rawhide! and toys! before.

Suffice to say I went, er, slightly overboard.

292080_10150275477667758_642812757_7872429_5020765_n.jpg

He's also had a lot of issues with food so I have purchased a HELL OF A LOT (at least 10 bags worth of different brands and he's a 6 month old toy breed :() of it, he's been incredibly fussy until recently and thankfully seems to be getting over it now he's older! I've finally started slowing down a bit now he's got tonnes of leashes, collars, jackets, blankets, toys, enough food to last the rest of the year etc etc.

FlyingFurball - you are my second idol! I SHOULD be spending what you spend!! :o

This has been such an interesting thread, keep the replies coming!

E x

edited cos i forgot to post image hur dur

Edited by Panzer Attack!

Suffice to say I went, er, slightly overboard.

292080_10150275477667758_642812757_7872429_5020765_n.jpg

The toy collection in this house puts that lot to shame! There is 2 of those Ikea plastic boxes (that go in their bookcases) and they're full/ overfull. He does not destroy toys so I don't think there has been any thrown out in 3 years and there are some toys which belonged to Angs including a puppy kong which is used most days!

Less than $50, food is in bulk and he's easily pleased :) He doesn't destroy toys so they last for years and since he has a huge tub worth just rotating them around gives him a steady supply of "new" toys.

Plus $36 a month on pet insurance.

Easily affordable.

I spend a lot of money on my dogs, but they are my primary focus and successfully do their job keeping me sane in this crazy world. Most of the money goes into obed/herding training and clinics. They aren't very expensive to feed but they regularly get new toys and bits and pieces. I also spend about about $200 every 10 weeks on Bronte's skin drugs, not to mention a 6 monthly blood test for her.

That being said, I'm about to pay for a custom made dog door for a particularly awkward window pane, as Ren is now a bit bigger for the current door and is getting distressed when he has to use it.

At the end of the day they are my only vice, and I could be doing more wasteful things with my money, but I choose to do this.

Ps. Whats with the time stamp on DOL. Its saying this was posted at 11pm, that's impressive, its 10pm-ish by my clock. Have I time travelled?

Edited by SmoothieGirl

We have 4 dogs, and I would spend about $100 a month usually, however have just put the older dogs onto the Hills B/D diet so that will up the food bill a lot. Other than that, they love the iced coffee cartons with a little bit left in the bottom, we rip the sides so they can get into it better. They also have toys that they dont destroy, I just dont repkace anything that breaks too easy. We also spend lots of time out and about with them so they get plenty of amusement. We get them bones weekly, and they also get the left over scraps. the only medication at this stage is glucosamine for the old dog, and wormers when required.

Guest Clover

I realy dont want to know :o. I know i would be close to $600 for this month alone and we are only upto day 17 :eek:. I might have to make a list next month and check it out. We are going into Flyball season again though so it should get upped again, but not by a lot :laugh:.

Edited by Clover

I buy a $130 bag of royal canin dry food every 5 weeks, treats about $20 a month, same with bones. then advocate cost about $50 for 3 months. a new toy about $20-$40 a month.

so far I bought 4 collars this year, about $100 all up, I hope my husband isn't reading this hahaha (-;

We have paid over $250 for 12 obedience classes but have had a winter break and are planning to start training again in November.

• 1 month later...